• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do YOU get your comics Graded.

49 posts in this topic

I don't.

(thumbs u

+1

I understand that this is a forum mostly for people who intend to "invest".....however, not every collector is part of this hobby for a financial return......

I would never pay someone else to "grade" my books.....

I am happy with them the way they are,(available for reading at any time !!)

And I would not pay someone else to grade them solely because I am looking to capitalize on the "need" that a third party might have for one of the books that I own...

2c

Bump

IMHO, the only reason to submit a comic to CGC is 1) you are going to sell it and/or 2) you want a restoration check.

-slym

In a nutshell. Case closed.

(thumbs u

I actually will probably never sell my books,they are locked away from all you vultures :jokealert: I want my books graded so after I'm long gone from this world, my wife will be able to sell easier than with the raw books.Resto check too

IMHO, the only reason to submit a comic to CGC is 1) you are going to sell it and/or 2) you want a restoration check.

-slym

Or...

I'm putting together a high-grade CGC run of Batman from 263-300 -- my nostalgia years. So I'll buy HG Batmans then get them graded if I think they're 9.4 or higher.

But I have lots of nice books outside that specific goal that will likely never get graded by me unless I want to sell.

-slym

Or...

I'm putting together a high-grade CGC run of Batman from 263-300 -- my nostalgia years. So I'll buy HG Batmans then get them graded if I think they're 9.4 or higher.

If you think they're 9.4 or higher, and these books have sentimental value (i.e. they're keepers), surely your opinion would be enough? I'd've thought that in this case CGC's grade doesn't validate anything of necessity.

In addition to all the obvious reasons above....

- Safety. I feel like my book is well protected. I can show someone a book, let them touch it, without worry.

- Presentation. They really seem to look better in the case.

- Insurance. Slabbing is a self documenting receipt of ownership and value.

Presentation. They really seem to look better in the case.

Now on this, I simply cannot agree. I think they look utter arse in the slab...the colours don't show as well, you get no hint of the gloss, one scratch and the look shoddy...

Mylars, though... :cloud9:

-slym

Or...

If you think they're 9.4 or higher, and these books have sentimental value (i.e. they're keepers), surely your opinion would be enough? I'd've thought that in this case CGC's grade doesn't validate anything of necessity.

I have my original owner Batmans and none of those are likely 9.4 or higher. I'm putting the set together to have high grade slabs of these books. No good financial or investment reason, just something I want to do.

I've never mailed anything in myself yet. I've got some I'd like to send in though for different reasons such as :

resto check

added safety - protection

couple things I cracked out of pgx slabs and now curious what cgc would give

a couple 9.8 candidates that will yield me more money when I sell

a few out of curiosity - my grading compared to theirs

once I get a nice bunch together I'll mail them in

I've just been too lazy to look through stuff though lately

I joined and have graded comics to add a whole new dimension to my collecting. I usually send in variant copies for grading, one, because I never read those copies anyways and two, they are a bit harder to come by so their value should be higher. I must say it has added a lot of fun to what was for me just a reading collection. It’s hard not to see a raw comic that goes for $100 in its raw form can bring in 5 to 10 times that with a 9.8 grade. I also enjoy the whole signature series and sketch covers aspect of it. Finally as others has noted, I do like the way the look in the slab.

I don't.

Ditto. At least so far. The shipping to and from Canada is expensive and I hate dealing with customs. It's easier just to be the books already graded. I buy graded books to avoid overgraders and undisclosed restoration. On an expensive book CGC is well worth the $$.

I submit my books so my wife won't have any trouble selling them later if something were to happen to me. That's my main reason. Although I admit I kind of liked holding that first submission in my hand when it finally came back.

And recieving my first 9.8 made me want to peruse my collection for other candidates. So in a way it can be a little addictive.

I buy slabs for:

* The uniformity/protection/display aspect

* The perception of standardized quality

* The possible bragging rights/exclusivity of certain issues

* The sharing/presentation capibilities of the Registry

Hey, I like what I like...ok? :/

2c

I collect GA and send in books for the resto check and the security of having it in one of those spiffy CGC cases. In all honesty, I love the look of raw books in a nice mylar with backing. But I also love the presentation of slabbed books so either way works for me. Mostly it's the resto check and a teeny bit of it is my compulsion to have my entire collection be the same. Currently I own no raw books. And if I buy a raw GA book, it's going to CGC eventually unless it's a complete beater. But I don't buy beater's 'cause i'm a snob. :grin:

I prefer buying slabs so a least know the condition

I like to have SS series so if I decide to sell a third party certifies the sig, easier to sell.

I kinda like the look of the book in slabs, but mostly with the yellow label.

I like to see books I've had in my collection come back with high grades, which most books I buy off the rack do, so makes me feel good about how I care for my books.

When I finally get a room to setup a display, such as on the the wall or in a table holder, I would prefer a slabbed book for the added protection that a mylar and board just can't provide

I joined and have graded comics to add a whole new dimension to my collecting. I usually send in variant copies for grading, one, because I never read those copies anyways and two, they are a bit harder to come by so their value should be higher. I must say it has added a lot of fun to what was for me just a reading collection. It’s hard not to see a raw comic that goes for $100 in its raw form can bring in 5 to 10 times that with a 9.8 grade. I also enjoy the whole signature series and sketch covers aspect of it. Finally as others has noted, I do like the way the look in the slab.

I think you and I have the same philosophy...I plan to send in some good variants as well. I was a reader only also...this has certainly added an entirely different twist to all of this...I'm vey excited and can't wait to send in my first book...the main problem now...deciding which one to send in.