• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG!!!!!!

231 posts in this topic

Found it.

So, I have seen a lot of people wondering in my CGC 9.4 Avengers #4 auction on Ebay is being shilled and if I had some part of it. Yes, from the two retractions, it appears that was the case. However, I am not involved in this at all. I never realized that some members would play around with the biding process to manipulate pricing. I have sold ton of my personal collection in the last 6 months because of medical bills for my son, and I have never experience this kind of immaturity. Perhaps, when I decide to move the rest of my collection at some time, I will be forced to go to Comiclink or Pedigree or Heritage Auctions. That is why I added the last comment on the auction.

For my policies, why would I allow returns on CGC graded items? I have seen that. And I package so well, none of of my books have ever had damage. I also pay for all insurance on the bids and the shipping. I ALSO COMMUNICATE WITH BUYER EVERY STEP OF THE WAY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE BOOK. Furthermore, after seeing the email chain on this book, it looks like silver.age.comic.collector (bidder with 6 rating) pulled out and then Paratrooper pulled out the $8M. If the $8M bill was used to fish out the shiller, I can kind of see that. IN ESSENCE THE GOOD SHILL IS STILL A SHILL THOUGH. Now Paratrooper54 is the high bidder again, but hopefully this is a legit bid. Or any others that come through.

That is what amazes me. If everyone just bid honestly and didn't want to market manipulate, this discussion would never have happened. I am amazed how high this auction has gone, shocked. If its all demand/supply, that is awesome for the industry as a whole. If there is manipulation, it's really bad.

Done with my diatribe - I only joined this society just to shed light on this. Let's see where this goes, but if some how more manipulation goes on by bidders, I will get Ebay involved. Take care, all. Thanks.

Doesn't exactly sound like "The Big, Bad, Shilling Wolf" to me.

He's wearing sheep shilling clothing..

And as far as the "OMG" aspect; these days, what's so outrageous about paying that kind of money for one of the most difficult SA covers and key appearances?

Eyebrows were raised and fingers pointed over the pressed FF 112, but not even close to the degree evident here. Like it was said about the FF 112, if you have the money, want the book, who the hell cares what it goes for?

What is is...if it's listed on ebay instead of any other venues it becomes fair game for interferance and malicious auction interferance?

I am a dyed in the wool FF nut, but if I had a spare $24,000 to throw at a high grade comic, I would take this one over a 10.0 FF 112 any day. Forget the "key issue" and "difficult cover" aspect, this is one of the best written and illustrated comics of the Silver Age.

yeah. but a VG is just as well written and illustrated as a NM. At the end of the day for my money its only a "minor" key being only a "SA first" appearance (and not really ST114 you can say is the leaper but its cap, basically). YES I would take it over a 112 too but IMO both prices are silly

Now if you're stinking rich..... whatever...... but are there really enough stinking rich people in the hobby to support all the stupid prices? I have to think that some of these "stinking rich" prices are being paid by "average joes."

I don't know shilling from Adam but I've bought a few Avengers books off this seller over the last year and a half, as has here4now/pastimperfekt and most other UHG Avengers buyers. The guy has been unloading some exceptional books and ships immediately upon payment. He gets good prices and has a big following because of the books he sells. Reminds me of darcy*smygirl in 2007 and 2008. Given what he usually gets for the books he sells, I don't think he needs to shill. I've been outbid on his books around 80% of the time.

And the $25k selling price is in line with the last two sales on CLink in the range of $20k. The $13k GPA sale was the first copy to be available since Avengers rocketed in price and it was a private sale with no bidding. The eBay copy had better page quality so the $25k price is probably what it should have sold for.

I have to agree with Cheetah. The seller has been unloading uber-high grade books for a while now without any obvious evidence of shilling (and I checked what I had won from him), so the obvious questions would be: Why start with this book?

It's too obvious and, FCS, it did not need to be shilled. Avengers (and CA) are hot as hell and, with #1, this is the key book of the entire run. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Perhaps the book was shilled but perhaps there are just people, unrelated to the seller, screwing around (which this thread certainly supports).

For what its worth, aside from the possible shilling, the seller is exactly what you want from an ebay seller. He contacts you that payment was received, contacts you with when book was shipped and confirmation numbers, follows up that you have it, and packs really well.

In any case, congratulations to the seller for unloading a book he bought for 6k in 2006 for 25k in 2009. Now that's capitalism.

Actually, after reading the seller's defence, I'm pretty confident that the seller was bidding up his own auction and Paratrooper had him pegged right.

Agree. Glad I posted screenshots in this thread so we could see the shill bidding disappear after 'trooper pulled his $8,000,000 bid.

I'll make a deal, if someone can prove that silver.age.comic.collector (bidder with 6 rating) is NOT anyway related or shilled this guys auction, I'll appologize and eat crow. I would also like to know why there is a guy that had bid 19 times on this auction and that his bidding history shows that 95% of his bids this month was on this auction.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=silver.age.comic.collector&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

:D