• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG!!!!!!

231 posts in this topic

I still do not understand why the shill (six feedback) would bid up a strangers auction.

Then, within the hour when high bidder (Paratrooper) pulled his bid, the shill pulled his bids?

Can someone explain that to me?

fc1nq9.jpg

I still do not understand why the shill (six feedback) would bid up a strangers auction.

Then, within the hour when high bidder (Paratrooper) pulled his bid, the shill pulled his bids?

Can someone explain that to me?

fc1nq9.jpg

sounds like bs to me that he was a stranger

Maybe that guys story is true but people will go to great lengths to rip people off

I am pretty sure I sold that book raw for roughly around 1400.00 about 10 years ago (maybe at Charlotte, I think???). Maybe at the National. Can't remember. It was a beautiful spectacular copy and had a small address stamp at bottom of first page.

I remember Brad Savage carted about 25 copies of this book to one of the old Greenberg Boston shows once. He was selling a lot of "hot" modern stuff at the time and basically did it as a goof.

The seller's comments of June 13th:

"So, I have seen a lot of people wondering if my CGC 9.4 Avengers #4 auction on Ebay is being "shilled" (fake bids create just to bump pricing up with no intention of paying) and if I had some part of it - this discussion stemming on the CGC Message Boards. YES, from the two retractions, it appears that was the case from 2 bidders. However, I am not involved in this "shilling"l. I never realized that some members would play around with the bidding process to manipulate pricing. I have sold ton of my personal collection in the last 6 months because of medical bills for my son, and I have never experience this kind of immaturity. Perhaps, when I decide to move the rest of my collection at some time, I will be forced to go to Comiclink or Pedigree or Heritage Auctions. That is why I added the above comment on the auction on 12-09. For my policies, why would I allow returns on CGC graded items? I package so well, none of of my books have ever had damage. I also pay for all insurance on the books and the shipping. I ALSO COMMUNICATE WITH BUYER EVERY STEP OF THE WAY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE BOOK. Furthermore, after seeing the email chain on this book on the CGC Message Boards, it looks like silver.age.comic.collector (bidder with 6 rating) pulled out and then Paratrooper pulled back the $8M bid (ridicluous). If the $8M bill was used to fish out the true shiller, I can understand the strategy. HOWEVER, IN ESSENCE, THE GOOD SHILL IS STILL A SHILL. Now Paratrooper54 was the high bidder again with a bid of $65K as a rebid, but then pulled that back when I emailed him asking what the reasoning behind the rebid. So, I have blocked both from bidding anymore. That is what amazes me. If everyone just bid honestly and didn't want to manipulate the market, this discussion would never have happened. I am amazed how high this auction has gone, shocked. If its all demand/supply, that is awesome for the collectors as a whole. If there is manipulation, it's really bad. I'm done with my diatribe. Let's see where this goes, but if some how more manipulation goes on by bidders, I will get Ebay involved. Let's all be adults. Take care. Good luck to everyonel who has honestly bid! Constantine"

"So, I have seen a lot of people wondering if my CGC 9.4 Avengers #4 auction on Ebay is being "shilled" (fake bids create just to bump pricing up with no intention of paying) and if I had some part of it - this discussion stemming on the CGC Message Boards. YES, from the two retractions, it appears that was the case from 2 bidders. However, I am not involved in this "shilling"l. I never realized that some members would play around with the bidding process to manipulate pricing. I have sold ton of my personal collection in the last 6 months because of medical bills for my son, and I have never experience this kind of immaturity. Perhaps, when I decide to move the rest of my collection at some time, I will be forced to go to Comiclink or Pedigree or Heritage Auctions. That is why I added the above comment on the auction on 12-09. For my policies, why would I allow returns on CGC graded items? I package so well, none of of my books have ever had damage. I also pay for all insurance on the books and the shipping. I ALSO COMMUNICATE WITH BUYER EVERY STEP OF THE WAY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE BOOK. Furthermore, after seeing the email chain on this book on the CGC Message Boards, it looks like silver.age.comic.collector (bidder with 6 rating) pulled out and then Paratrooper pulled back the $8M bid (ridicluous). If the $8M bill was used to fish out the true shiller, I can understand the strategy. HOWEVER, IN ESSENCE, THE GOOD SHILL IS STILL A SHILL. Now Paratrooper54 was the high bidder again with a bid of $65K as a rebid, but then pulled that back when I emailed him asking what the reasoning behind the rebid. So, I have blocked both from bidding anymore. That is what amazes me. If everyone just bid honestly and didn't want to manipulate the market, this discussion would never have happened. I am amazed how high this auction has gone, shocked. If its all demand/supply, that is awesome for the collectors as a whole. If there is manipulation, it's really bad. I'm done with my diatribe. Let's see where this goes, but if some how more manipulation goes on by bidders, I will get Ebay involved. Let's all be adults. Take care. Good luck to everyonel who has honestly bid! Constantine"

So what purpose does the repeated bidding and retractions by Paratrooper serve?

Doing this kind of stuff to the zero-feedback sellers who are trying to sell a "mint" condition AF 15 with a fuzzy scan is all well and good but it seems to me that there is more than a 50-50 chance that the seller in this instance has nothing to do with the questionable bidding. (shrug)

Wait... 'Constantine'? John Constantine? :o

Doing this kind of stuff to the zero-feedback sellers who are trying to sell a "mint" condition AF 15 with a fuzzy scan is all well and good but it seems to me that there is more than a 50-50 chance that the seller in this instance has nothing to do with the questionable bidding. (shrug)

Agreed.

Agreed.

Disagreed, and I was wondering why I kept my shennanigans mostly to myself and not posting them here. I'll keep messing with sellers that shill up their auctions, just will not post them here.

Agreed.

Actually, after reading the seller's defence, I'm pretty confident that the seller was bidding up his own auction and Paratrooper had him pegged right.

Actually, after reading the seller's defence, I'm pretty confident that the seller was bidding up his own auction and Paratrooper had him pegged right.

Agree. Glad I posted screenshots in this thread so we could see the shill bidding disappear after 'trooper pulled his $8,000,000 bid.

Agree. Glad I posted screenshots in this thread so we could see the shill bidding disappear after 'trooper pulled his $8,000,000 bid.

I'll make a deal, if someone can prove that silver.age.comic.collector (bidder with 6 rating) is NOT anyway related or shilled this guys auction, I'll appologize and eat crow. I would also like to know why there is a guy that had bid 19 times on this auction and that his bidding history shows that 95% of his bids this month was on this auction.

I'll make a deal, if someone can prove that silver.age.comic.collector (bidder with 6 rating) is NOT anyway related or shilled this guys auction, I'll appologize and eat crow. I would also like to know why there is a guy that had bid 19 times on this auction and that his bidding history shows that 95% of his bids this month was on this auction.

You mean this guy? lol

2namkvk.jpg