• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OSPG in line with Jumbo #31?

30 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm new to Golden Age collecting and right now I'm basically buying covers that appeal to me.

I bought an Overstreet and a pair of Gerber Photo-Journals to get started, and I noticed that, in the case of Jumbo Comics #31 (with a cover I really like), it has a scarcity rating of "9" but the same price as issues #32-40.

Is this a major oversight by OSPG, and, if it's not, does someone have a mid-grade copy to sell me for $200-300? (shrug):wishluck:

Thanks in advance for the info!

This thread may be helpful to you regarding the scarcity ratings.

linky

And the best way to figure out the "true" value of many GA books is to hang out around here, ask questions, and study the market. I think you'll find this section of the boards to be like a big clubhouse where everyone is eager to share comic finds and information.

@adamstrange, Yes, I've read that thread and I understand the scarcity ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.

@seank, I think that was the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know if the price guide was off, which you were able to answer (I could have done without the NFS pic though :frustrated: ). Any idea what a fair price would be for a low to mid-grade #31 in the event that one pops up?

And the best way to figure out the "true" value of many GA books is to hang out around here, ask questions, and study the market. I think you'll find this section of the boards to be like a big clubhouse where everyone is eager to share comic finds and information.

that is in fact the second best way. the best way is to send me those comics below, and for that i'll send you a pm with the secrets about the values of golden age books.

that is in fact the second best way. the best way is to send me those comics below, and for that i'll send you a pm with the secrets about the values of golden age books.

Dear Mr. Parker,

Please remove the books I want from your signature line.

Thank you for your cooperation,

FM

in the case of Jumbo Comics #31 (with a cover I really like), it has a scarcity rating of "9" but the same price as issues #32-40.

great lesson here.....scarcity and value are not always linked together.....

one of my 1st GA Gerber 9's (this is like 17 years ago) was a comic called 'Thrilling Adventures in Stamps'. When I eventually went to sell, the 'marketplace' determined that Gerber 9 or not, it was only worth "X".....and "X" was alot let less then I hoped to get for it!

Steve

in the case of Jumbo Comics #31 (with a cover I really like), it has a scarcity rating of "9" but the same price as issues #32-40.

one of my 1st GA Gerber 9's (this is like 17 years ago) was a comic called 'Thrilling Adventures in Stamps'. When I eventually went to sell, the 'marketplace' determined that Gerber 9 or not, it was only worth "X".....and "X" was alot let less then I hoped to get for it!

Steve

..and the fact that book is nowhere near as scarce as a Gerber 9 is supposed to be. Possible warehouse find sometime after the Gerber Photojournals were published.

Steve

..and the fact that book is nowhere near as scarce as a Gerber 9 is supposed to be. Possible warehouse find sometime after the Gerber Photojournals were published.

See that!.......there are lessons all over the place here :insane:

Hello all,

I'm new to Golden Age collecting and right now I'm basically buying covers that appeal to me.

I bought an Overstreet and a pair of Gerber Photo-Journals to get started, and I noticed that, in the case of Jumbo Comics #31 (with a cover I really like), it has a scarcity rating of "9" but the same price as issues #32-40.

Is this a major oversight by OSPG, and, if it's not, does someone have a mid-grade copy to sell me for $200-300? (shrug):wishluck:

Thanks in advance for the info!

This is a topic we discuss often. I've been slowly working on attempting to refine the scarcity ratings and evaluate the old designations. We always welcome new thoughts on the topic.

Jumbo #31 is definitely a book that is not seen often, but I highly doubt it is a true Gerber "9", at least by the way he defined the range.

My copy, which I recall is slightly restored with tape seals.

Jumbo31.jpg

Steve

I don't believe the book is listed as a Gerber "9" but as I don't have the Journals in front of me I can't say so categorically. OSPG lists it as "very rare".

I have the entire set, which as both a stamp and comic collector I absolutely love, and I always buy duplicates. This issue is definitely seldom seen. Of the 8 issues it is by far the rarest. I highly doubt, however, it is a true Gerber "9" regardless of what the book says. Even "very rare" is questionable, but it all depends on what Overstreet meant by "very rare". I've seen probably 2 or 3 copies for sale in the last 5 years, but I haven't been looking aggressively.

Stamps8.jpg

Steve

I don't believe the book is listed as a Gerber "9" but as I don't have the Journals in front of me I can't say so categorically. OSPG lists it as "very rare".

I have the entire set, which as both a stamp and comic collector I absolutely love, and I always buy duplicates. This issue is definitely seldom seen. Of the 8 issues it is by far the rarest. I highly doubt, however, it is a true Gerber "9" regardless of what the book says. Even "very rare" is questionable, but it all depends on what Overstreet meant by "very rare". I've seen probably 2 or 3 copies for sale in the last 5 years, but I haven't been looking aggressively.

Stamps8.jpg

Cool cover! I should think it was worth at least 3xy2+(yxm - 5)

I should think it was worth at least 3xy2+(yxm - 5)

Since y is a function of quality of content, the value of that book will always trend towards 0.

Since y is a function of quality of content, the value of that book will always trend towards 0.

Careful or you'll invoke Johnny Quick's speed powers with that formula.

I was told there wouldn't be math in this thread.

lol - that bad, huh?