• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which of these defects should disqualify a book from 9.8 status?

Which of these defects should disqualify a book from receiving a 9.8 from CGC?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these defects should disqualify a book from receiving a 9.8 from CGC?

14 posts in this topic

Everyone has their pet peeves about certain defects, or at least what they consider to be a defects.

All of the "defects" I have listed are currently allowed to be on a book and still receive a 9.8 from CGC (although they probably cannot all be on the same book).

Vote for ALL of the "defects" listed that you think should AUTOMATICALLY disqualify a book from ever receiving a 9.8 grade from CGC.

Someone on here purchased a Ms Marvel 18 CGC 9.8 WP off eBay, and when he received it noticed the top of the book had color rubbed off, but not foxing.

He posted the picture (been a few months now), and it was surprising the book received a 9.8 grade. He was so disappointed, he turned around and sold it.

It would be sad to spend so much money, but then get a book that is disappointing amd shocking that it graded so high.

I will admit I am really new to collecting CGC books but I have to say I was kinda suprised when I got a recent eBay purchase in the mail. It is a Walking Dead 32 in 9.8 and looking at it I can see a spine crease and one of the corners looks pretty rough. Comparing it to some of the 9.6s I have it looks clearly worse.

I guess I just wonder how much quality control CGC has on low dollar modern books. I assume they take more care when the book is higher $$.

In the end once the book is up on my shelf and as look as you dont get too close all you can see is that big 9.8 so no biggie I guess.

It looks like bindery tears (19%) and non color breaking marks on spine (24%) are the two most popular answers. hm

The least popular answer? ,,,,,,, Pressing (5%) hm

What this indicates to me though is that CGC "gets it right" overall on their 9.8 judgements because there is no one overwhelming response (i.e. more than half of you picking a certain answer)

You can't please everyone all of the time I guess.