• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is The Spirit movie really that bad?

79 posts in this topic

I don't really care how much or little the movies made. Punisher: War Zone was supposed to be a direct to DVD movie anyhow.

When the Spirit first came out, everyone on here whined about how much of a terrible, God awful movie it was. Punisher was praised in comparison, as it was more entertaining, and didn't put half of it's audience to sleep.

What I'm really trying to say is that I would rather watch Punisher, Fantastic Four, Batman and Robin, and Ghost Rider for the rest of my life than The Spirit. It was a Frank Miller party. The guy is (shockingly) a :censored: and got offended that fans of The Spirit didn't enjoy it. I do believe he even said "I don't owe anything to the fans." No, I guess not, but they are the ones bringing your money.

Don't hold anything back BL.

and I'd rather watch The Spirit again and stare at whatsherface than watch a plethera of armor nipples in Batman and Robin.

I don't really care how much or little the movies made. Punisher: War Zone was supposed to be a direct to DVD movie anyhow.

When the Spirit first came out, everyone on here whined about how much of a terrible, God awful movie it was. Punisher was praised in comparison, as it was more entertaining, and didn't put half of it's audience to sleep.

What I'm really trying to say is that I would rather watch Punisher, Fantastic Four, Batman and Robin, and Ghost Rider for the rest of my life than The Spirit. It was a Frank Miller party. The guy is (shockingly) a :censored: and got offended that fans of The Spirit didn't enjoy it. I do believe he even said "I don't owe anything to the fans." No, I guess not, but they are the ones bringing your money.

and I'd rather watch The Spirit again and stare at whatsherface than watch a plethera of armor nipples in Batman and Robin.

I'm very passionate about comic book movies. :foryou:

I'm very passionate about comic book movies. :foryou:

I'm non-passionate about armor nipples.

I watched about 1/2 an hour of this POS when I turned it off, stuck it back in the Blockbuster case and let it rot on top of my tv for a few more days before returning it.

I see almost everything, doesn't matter if its critically acclaimed or a dud. It says alot for me when I can't even finish a film. I think Showgirls I walked out of the theater on. And there were a few more in between. But The Spirit is the 1st movie I couldn't finish in awhile. It stunk.

This was the worst comic related film i have ever seen, and i have seen The Phantom, 80's Captain America and the 70's Doctor Strange films.

This was drivel, pure and utter . but worst of all was the useless mornic fool, that is Frank Miller, going on record as saying he thinks Will Eisner would approve.

This was the worst comic related film i have ever seen, and i have seen The Phantom, 80's Captain America and the 70's Doctor Strange films.

This was drivel, pure and utter . but worst of all was the useless mornic fool, that is Frank Miller, going on record as saying he thinks Will Eisner would approve.

Will Eisner the businessman would approve as it`s got his character more exposure in one year then the last 50. plus we also have found out those Will Eisners Spirit stories are not as good as we were led to believe, If not I ask you to recommend me five Will Eisner Spirit stories that are better than the movie. you can`t. you can give me Contract with God but I want Will Eisner Spirit stories that are better than this movie. Let me know where to purchase them, I will read them. The Spirit is one of those series everbody says is good till you actually read it. the art was fantastic but where are the classics? I like to find out what all the fuss is about. What are the must read Will Eisner Spirit stories?

My point is how could people expect a good movie to made from Spirit, when the original Spirit stories themselves where mediocre?

Will Eisner the businessman would approve as it`s got his character more exposure in one year then the last 50. plus we also have found out those Will Eisners Spirit stories are not as good as we were led to believe, If not I ask you to recommend me five Will Eisner Spirit stories that are better than the movie. you can`t. you can give me Contract with God but I want Will Eisner Spirit stories that are better than this movie. Let me know where to purchase them, I will read them. The Spirit is one of those series everbody says is good till you actually read it. the art was fantastic but where are the classics? I like to find out what all the fuss is about. What are the must read Will Eisner Spirit stories?

My point is how could people expect a good movie to made from Spirit, when the original Spirit stories themselves where mediocre?

Bingo!...excellent, and accurate, points!

The Spirit was ALWAYS extremely overrated. People LOVE hype, they crave it in ways, it adapts to our emotions quite well. Reality then sets in, and a spade is just that.

You have a point regarding the core subject matter, and as a comic fan, but not a Spirit fan i could not answer those questions for you. I will say however, that i doubt that Will Eisner would have approved of such a poor story being produced. Yes you might and i repeat might be right that other Spirit stories are not as good, but that is why they employ screen writers and people to oversee and make sure that the finished product is up to scratch.

Surely if Eisner was around he would rather the film not be done at all, if the end result was pure hatred for all that is The Spirit ?

DC released The Best Of The Spirit that contains many great stories including "Christmas Spirit of 1948", "Meet P'Gell", "The Story of Gerhard Shnobble", "The Last Trolley", "The Killer", "The Story of Rat-Tat the Toy Machine Gun". It's as good a starting place as any.

I'm finally watching this movie. I guess the talk about Frank Miller and the Sin City flick managed to finally get me interested in investing the time. I guess you could call some of what follows "spoilers" but let's be honest, if you haven't seen this hot mess by now, you probably don't care anyway.

Approximate time

3:55 I don't remember The Spirit running on power lines or running across rooftops.

4:44 "My city screams"? WTF?

5:15 Fight in the alley. It's kind of funny, it seems to have a classic comics feel to it.

6:20 Frank Miller is actually in this?

7:23 Frank Miller gave himself a speaking role? lol

8:12 Frank Miller can't act.

9:26 The Octopus' bullet just broke the laws of physics and made a turn around Eva Mendes to hit the strap between trunks.

10:26 "Shut up and bleed"? What happened Frank? Is this the best you can do now?

11:20 Are those henchmen with their names on their shirts? Adam West is on the phone, he wants his villains back!

11:35 "There is nothing I like more than kicking your all night long. Except maybe eggs"? ???

11:54 Ditko's Speedy Delivery? That's funny!

12:02 Are her eyelashes six inches long? WTF?

12:47 Classic image of the Spirit coming out of the water. Eisner would finally recognize some part of his work in this movie!

12:55 The Octopus just hit the Spirit with Miller's head. Clearly, this was the only part of the movie that Miller used his head for.

13:10 Did he just bend a crowbar over the Octopus' head?

14:17 Octopus just broke a toilet over the Spirit?

15:05 This is just dumb.

15:29 "I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead"? Again, what happened Frank? I can't tell if this is supposed to be funny or serious. Either way, it missed the mark and just comes off as stupid.

18:24 Worst....dialogue....ever.....

18:41 The paramedic is named Tuska? lol

18:35 I was wrong earlier, now we have the worst....dialogue....ever.....

21:00 The dialogue just keeps getting worse. How can this happen?

21:45 Still worse.....amazing....

23:32 "No egg on my face"? But I thought he liked eggs....

26:22 Did they put peanut butter on the roof of that cat's mouth to make it look like it was talking? This piece of is nothing but CGI, why not make the cat actually talk or take out the attempt to make the cat talk?

28:04 Why does a 30s or 40 era reporter have an 80s cameraman?

30:16 This is just ridiculous. It looks like sin City but feels like a 13 year old trying to write like Frank Miller.

31:17 Again, WTF? Now the Octopus is a samurai?

33:05 Hey! The Octopus' glove looks like the comic! Another recognizable piece!

34:55 Mr. Donnenfeld? Sort of funny....

38:34 More atrocious dialogue. Who, at the studio, let this get released but held back Corman's Fantastic Four?

41:00 In all of this CGI , why does the background of them walking down the street look so intentionally bad?

43:45 Is this movie intentionally bad? Seriously, I don't think anybody can make a modern movie this bad unless it is on purpose.

44:20 "The hard goodbye" Frank...why do you keep putting this stuff in here? It's cute when it is sly but your'e beating us over the head with it now.

47:28 Was this in color for five seconds?

48:37 "Plain damn weird" Need I say more?

50:23 The Spirit has a healing ability? Since when?

54:01 Again, I was wrong before.... worst.......dialogue....ever.....

55:46 I'm beginning to think this movie was made differently than the vast majority in Hollywood. I think it was actually shot in sequence with the idea "that last scene was stupid, how can we make the next one worse?"

57:06 Gravity no longer applies? How does he jump up the outside of the fire escapes?

1:02:38 Samuel L. Jackson looks like Göering but acts like Shatner? I must be hallucinating.

1:03:00 Scarlet Johanson in a Nazi uniform? What is Miller's fascination with the swastika? This whole scene feels like David Lynch phoning in a Twin Peaks episode.

1:05:21 First he acts like Shatner, now he references Star Trek? How can we make the next scene even worse?

1:06:01 I know! Another egg joke!

1:07:51 Is this a performance art piece?

1:09:20 Another comics joke...."Thor's hammer?" It's getting old Frank, really old....

1:11:17 Melting cat? Again....WTF?

1:14:36 Seriously, this is just a turd of a movie. Like it was written by a thirteen year old boy that suddenly decided that girls are not "icky" and is suddenly fascinated by them. My only conclusion is that Frank Miller was replaced by a pod person sometime ago

1:1715 Lorelei...WTF? No, seriously Frank, WTF?

1:34:20 At least we can say he's consistent. Terrible dialogue to the very end....

I have never seen Plan 9 From Outer Space but have heard of it as being "the worst movie ever made" since I was old enough to know what movies are. Seriously, though, if it worse than this, I just don't want be a part of the world where it could be made.

It's not a good movie, it focused on visuals and seemed like a really long music video/series of trailer scenes.

It's not any worse (or any different) than Sucker Punch or 300 in that way. There's a handful of movies with this exact formula. It's good for showing off the HDTV and surround sound in an electronics store.

I have yet to see Sucker Punch, but I have to disagree about 300. It is ridiculously over the top, but it has a coherent narrative. Ignore the concept that it is based on a historical event and look at it as a story and it works. To this day, if I see it on TV, I have to stop and watch.

In the extras, there is a short called Miller on Miller which really brought me back into the Frank Miller fold. His passion for comics and for storytelling in general really showed through. It made me really happy to see him talking about comics in general. There was a lingle quote from him that made me see his recent work in a new light. He said something to the effect of "I don't believe in mistakes, there are instances." On the one hand, I like the bravery that this belief shows. On the other, I think it explains why his recent work feels like it has dropped off. If he genuinely doesn't believe in a mistake, he is much less likely to edit himself or his art.

I'm finally watching this movie. I guess the talk about Frank Miller and the Sin City flick managed to finally get me interested in investing the time. I guess you could call some of what follows "spoilers" but let's be honest, if you haven't seen this hot mess by now, you probably don't care anyway.

Approximate time

3:55 I don't remember The Spirit running on power lines or running across rooftops.

4:44 "My city screams"? WTF?

5:15 Fight in the alley. It's kind of funny, it seems to have a classic comics feel to it.

6:20 Frank Miller is actually in this?

7:23 Frank Miller gave himself a speaking role? lol

8:12 Frank Miller can't act.

9:26 The Octopus' bullet just broke the laws of physics and made a turn around Eva Mendes to hit the strap between trunks.

10:26 "Shut up and bleed"? What happened Frank? Is this the best you can do now?

11:20 Are those henchmen with their names on their shirts? Adam West is on the phone, he wants his villains back!

11:35 "There is nothing I like more than kicking your all night long. Except maybe eggs"? ???

11:54 Ditko's Speedy Delivery? That's funny!

12:02 Are her eyelashes six inches long? WTF?

12:47 Classic image of the Spirit coming out of the water. Eisner would finally recognize some part of his work in this movie!

12:55 The Octopus just hit the Spirit with Miller's head. Clearly, this was the only part of the movie that Miller used his head for.

13:10 Did he just bend a crowbar over the Octopus' head?

14:17 Octopus just broke a toilet over the Spirit?

15:05 This is just dumb.

15:29 "I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead"? Again, what happened Frank? I can't tell if this is supposed to be funny or serious. Either way, it missed the mark and just comes off as stupid.

18:24 Worst....dialogue....ever.....

18:41 The paramedic is named Tuska? lol

18:35 I was wrong earlier, now we have the worst....dialogue....ever.....

21:00 The dialogue just keeps getting worse. How can this happen?

21:45 Still worse.....amazing....

23:32 "No egg on my face"? But I thought he liked eggs....

26:22 Did they put peanut butter on the roof of that cat's mouth to make it look like it was talking? This piece of is nothing but CGI, why not make the cat actually talk or take out the attempt to make the cat talk?

28:04 Why does a 30s or 40 era reporter have an 80s cameraman?

30:16 This is just ridiculous. It looks like sin City but feels like a 13 year old trying to write like Frank Miller.

31:17 Again, WTF? Now the Octopus is a samurai?

33:05 Hey! The Octopus' glove looks like the comic! Another recognizable piece!

34:55 Mr. Donnenfeld? Sort of funny....

38:34 More atrocious dialogue. Who, at the studio, let this get released but held back Corman's Fantastic Four?

41:00 In all of this CGI , why does the background of them walking down the street look so intentionally bad?

43:45 Is this movie intentionally bad? Seriously, I don't think anybody can make a modern movie this bad unless it is on purpose.

44:20 "The hard goodbye" Frank...why do you keep putting this stuff in here? It's cute when it is sly but your'e beating us over the head with it now.

47:28 Was this in color for five seconds?

48:37 "Plain damn weird" Need I say more?

50:23 The Spirit has a healing ability? Since when?

54:01 Again, I was wrong before.... worst.......dialogue....ever.....

55:46 I'm beginning to think this movie was made differently than the vast majority in Hollywood. I think it was actually shot in sequence with the idea "that last scene was stupid, how can we make the next one worse?"

57:06 Gravity no longer applies? How does he jump up the outside of the fire escapes?

1:02:38 Samuel L. Jackson looks like Göering but acts like Shatner? I must be hallucinating.

1:03:00 Scarlet Johanson in a Nazi uniform? What is Miller's fascination with the swastika? This whole scene feels like David Lynch phoning in a Twin Peaks episode.

1:05:21 First he acts like Shatner, now he references Star Trek? How can we make the next scene even worse?

1:06:01 I know! Another egg joke!

1:07:51 Is this a performance art piece?

1:09:20 Another comics joke...."Thor's hammer?" It's getting old Frank, really old....

1:11:17 Melting cat? Again....WTF?

1:14:36 Seriously, this is just a turd of a movie. Like it was written by a thirteen year old boy that suddenly decided that girls are not "icky" and is suddenly fascinated by them. My only conclusion is that Frank Miller was replaced by a pod person sometime ago

1:1715 Lorelei...WTF? No, seriously Frank, WTF?

1:34:20 At least we can say he's consistent. Terrible dialogue to the very end....

I have never seen Plan 9 From Outer Space but have heard of it as being "the worst movie ever made" since I was old enough to know what movies are. Seriously, though, if it worse than this, I just don't want be a part of the world where it could be made.

Truth :applause: