• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - If you had just one wish...

75 posts in this topic

I would go back to about 1960, grab every single key comic, i.e. Action #1, Bats #1, Det #27, and all the Cap, Torch, Subby, etc, that I could get my hands on. No matter the grade.

Then I would continue living in that time until 1964 (DD#1), meanwhile collecting every single copy of all the great S.A. Marvels & DC's from right out of the box.

Invest in IBM and Pacific Bell, hire a legal firm to purchase stocks for me in Apple and Microsoft when they come out.

Depending on wheather we can bring stuff back with us, I would bring the comics. If not, I would find some way to seal them air tight. Then I would bury them on my granfathers property, which is still our property. And then while I was there, I would punch my dad in the face and tell him to be a nicer person, otherwise, "I'll be back" :mad:

Yes, I have daydreamed about this many, many times....Don't judge me! :insane:

On second thoughts, I wish I was single again.

hm

It was meant as a joke, but when I read it it actually seemed like a good idea...

+1 :grin:

:jokealert:

On second thought, I wish to know why certain OT threads (like this one) remain un-Watercoolered? :grin:

I wish I was little bit taller,

I wish I was a baller

I wish I had a girl who looked good

I would call her

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat

and a '64 Impala

Skee Lo is that you?

I would go back to about 1960, grab every single key comic, i.e. Action #1, Bats #1, Det #27, and all the Cap, Torch, Subby, etc, that I could get my hands on. No matter the grade.

Then I would continue living in that time until 1964 (DD#1), meanwhile collecting every single copy of all the great S.A. Marvels & DC's from right out of the box.

Invest in IBM and Pacific Bell, hire a legal firm to purchase stocks for me in Apple and Microsoft when they come out.

Depending on wheather we can bring stuff back with us, I would bring the comics. If not, I would find some way to seal them air tight. Then I would bury them on my granfathers property, which is still our property. And then while I was there, I would punch my dad in the face and tell him to be a nicer person, otherwise, "I'll be back" :mad:

Yes, I have daydreamed about this many, many times....Don't judge me! :insane:

lol I think we all have! And you wouldn't be the only one that wanted to punch old dad in the kisser.

I would of course not limit myself to comics and stocks. I would venture into the toy stores and grab up all the vintage Mego, Transformer, GI Joe and Star Wars toys I could. Not too mention crates full of baseball cards. Imagine a nice 300 count box of mint Mantle rookies. And no, I would never sell them or flood the market. I would horde everything and enjoy life as the Supreme Ruler of the World's Greatest Collection of Everything! Bwahahahahaha!

I would go back to about 1975 and go to Edgar Church's house in Colorado and offer to clean out his basement for free. :devil:

How about go further back, make friends, and inform him to fix the slow plumbing leak he had that damaged the back of the books he had on display? Then he would be so appreciative, over time he would want you to have his collection.

Chuck talks about there were were certain rare pulps that were on display racks that when he went to remove them from the shelf, most if not all had been permanently damaged from this leak. What a shame!

You're all silly. By going back and hoarding high grade Action 1s and Tec 27s, you're devaluing them. A NM Action 1 isn't going to be a million dollar book when there are 100s of them, and if you only grab a few, you're wasting the opportunity.

I'd go back to the 1800s and buy oil rich land. Then I'd fast-forward to the early 1900s and start a film production company. Then I'd fast-forward to the 1950s and do Marilyn Monroe.

You're all silly. By going back and hoarding high grade Action 1s and Tec 27s, you're devaluing them. A NM Action 1 isn't going to be a million dollar book when there are 100s of them, and if you only grab a few, you're wasting the opportunity.

I'd go back to the 1800s and buy oil rich land. Then I'd fast-forward to the early 1900s and start a film production company. Then I'd fast-forward to the 1950s and do Marilyn Monroe.

Not me mon ami! I said I would horde everything. I would proudly show off my collection of 10, 15, heck 100 near mint Action #1's. The monetary value of this and any other collectibles to me would be meaningless. If you could go back in time you'd find ways to assure that money would never be an issue for yourself. So the comics, coins, action figures, stamps, whatever that I horde would simply be for my own drooling pleasure. I would savor the fact that I would have the "world's greatest collection" of everything. People would come to admire me, envy me, perhaps downright hate me. But it matters not. I would be on :cloud9:

So the comics, coins, action figures, stamps, whatever that I horde would simply be for my own drooling pleasure.

What makes collectibles drool-worthy is their elusiveness. You drool over those things now, because you can't have them. If you had a basement full of them, the appeal would be lost.

Wealth, on the other hand, is always drool-worthy. So is Marilyn Monroe.

So the comics, coins, action figures, stamps, whatever that I horde would simply be for my own drooling pleasure.

What makes collectibles drool-worthy is their elusiveness. You drool over those things now, because you can't have them. If you had a basement full of them, the appeal would be lost.

Wealth, on the other hand, is always drool-worthy. So is Marilyn Monroe.

Maybe so. But I would rather have the option, no? I'd rather start with a stack of near mint Action 1's and decide what to do with them versus having only 1 near mint Action 1. If the drool factor is lost due to the amount of copies you have, you could always shed from your collection be it trade, sale or bonfire. :o

On second thought, I wish to know why certain OT threads (like this one) remain un-Watercoolered? :grin:

You got a problem with me, punk?

:jokealert:

Actually, I tried to keep it comic-book related myself, but by the time I posted the response to my own question, I was on page 2.

-slym