• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HBD Cap Freak!

144 posts in this topic

I remember watching that on the tube as a kid,I think it was three parts...

I was never afraid of clowns till Pennywise came along!

"And when you're down here with me... you'll float too!"

That has got to be one of the wildest Stephen King books to get through as a kid. I remember reading that and not wanting to go near a sewer for a long while.

"And when you're down here with me... you'll float too!"

That has got to be one of the wildest Stephen King books to get through as a kid. I remember reading that and not wanting to go near a sewer for a long while.

That, and bums/homeless people. *shudder* That scene in the abandoned house...

I was planning on taking all of you for tens of tens of dollars, but I don't think I could take the taunting and teasing.

Yeah, that's what's always kept me on the straight and narrow. I could deal with

prison and beatings and such if I were caught, but what if someone directed

sarcasm at me? ***SHIVER***

I remember watching that as a kid on tv. My dad had taped the movie, and he was notorious about missing the last 10 minutes of shows that he taped. So, of course after finishing part 1, he couldn't find the tape that had the rest of the movie on it. I went quite a few years wondering if the killer clown was still on the loose.....

Read that book as a kid, hellava lot scarier than the TV series.

Same here, it was the second Stephen King book I read after Christine. Awesome stuff.

Same here, it was the second Stephen King book I read after Christine. Awesome stuff.

And it is hard to believe this is the same person that wrote "Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile" as those are more normal than say "Tommyknockers," "It," or even "Dreamcatcher."

We were vacationing in Maine one summer, and since we were so close to Bangor, drove over to see if we could find his house. In asking some locals if they knew where Stephen King lived, it was funny as most were very casual about "Steve" or "Stevie." But when we finally saw his house, I wouldn't want his life.

KEEP OUT signs were plastered all over his trees, fence, and lawn because so many fans had either attempted to break in to meet their favorite writer, or one had actually made it into the house and surprised Tabitha King when she came back from shopping.

Not my cup of tea at all to live life. We did get some shots of the house FROM A DISTANCE so as not to creep anyone out. Fence had cast iron bats and spider webs all the way around, adding to the atmosphere this was the king of fear's house.

Have you guys read his collection of short stories he wrote under his pseudonym Bachman? "The Long Walk" "The Running Man". Damn fine shorts.

Read them years ago when I was out in the field manning the radios at Fort Stewart. "The Running Man" had a really sad ending when the hero flies a plane into the game host's building is all I remember. It's been a long time, but I was really impressed with most of the stories.

Have you guys read his collection of short stories he wrote under his pseudonym Bachman? "The Long Walk" "The Running Man". Damn fine shorts.

Actually, they weren't short stories, they were all released singly as paperbacks first. You left out 'Rage' and 'Roadwork', but the two you listed were the best of the lot.

I treasure my copy of 'Rage', first printing, and no longer in print in any form (school shootings).

rage.jpg

"The Running Man" had a really sad ending when the hero flies a plane into the game host's building

Flying planes into high rises, kids holding schools hostage with guns...we're one clown in a sewer from King being this century's Nostradamus.

Flying planes into high rises, kids holding schools hostage with guns...we're one clown in a sewer from King being this century's Nostradamus.

Man Beau, you pegged that right. I didn't even think of that.

I've read up on the "Rage" story, scary how true a lot of it has become. My favorite of the bunch was "The Long Walk" though.

Was that the story where once kids turned a certain age they had to take some trek or they would be eradicated? It has been a long time since I read this.

I've read up on the "Rage" story, scary how true a lot of it has become. My favorite of the bunch was "The Long Walk" though.

Was that the story where once kids turned a certain age they had to take some trek or they would be eradicated? It has been a long time since I read this.

Wasn't there a Simpsons episode based on this?...

Wasn't there a Simpsons episode based on this?...

Seriously?

It was voluntary, and almost like winning the lottery if you were one of the 100 kids chosen to participate. There's a 99% chance you'll die, but if you're the last kid walking...

I didn't like IT much. King has always been hit or miss for me. I loved The Dark Tower, but the 2nd and 3rd books in the series were just pretty good, and I stopped reading them altogether after the absolutely wretched Wolves of the Calla. I also liked Salem's Lot, but I thought The Stand was way overrated. King can be a really compelling author, but I feel like he rushes things a lot of the time.