• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you seen any price weakness in comics during this economic slump?

19 posts in this topic

I heard yesterday that average U.S. household wealth has dropped 30% in the past year or so due to the severe drop in both house and stock prices. Have you seen any price weakness in comics during this period of economic weakness? Have you seen any books at 'bargain" prices well below what they would likely have fetched a year or two ago?

hm

i haven't noticed much of a difference, but i'm not selling all that much, and not slabs. actually, the "best offers" I've been getting have been pretty fair.

"Yes, unless a hot or key book prices have slid from 20% to more than 50% of last years value. Especially late bronze and copper books."

Might this be because more and more of this stuff has been slabbed and/or pressed and slabbed, so those 9.6ses and 9.8s are just not as special as they used to be?

I'm seeing some deals on the SA and Atom Age books I tend to collect. Not mega deals, just things selling for a bit below what I think they should sell for.

I have not really noticed a drop off but in the past two years I have been focusing on 1965 and before Silver Age in CGC 8.0-9.0. Prices in this grade range seem to be flat to up depending on the book over the past 2 years.

Yes, I think its fairly factual that Comic prices have dropped on average in all genres. However, its a buyers market, and i've personally scored KILLER deals with both books won, and with my best offers on the 'Bay.

It's all about perspective.

Seems to be two markets. Ultra high grade SA are selling for jaw dropping prices and everything else dropping.

+1

Ebay sales are significantly less than last year. Comic Link is slow also.

But if it's Ultra HG or VHTF, they seem to be going for multiples....Go figure (shrug)

i've noticed the past HOT books like DD 168 & ASM 300 has cooled off considerably, prices are back to before movie was in the making.

----------------

but this is always the case, regardless of recession. How many formerly hot books could you have picked up for pennies on the dollar in 1998 or 1999 when we were in the midst of an economic boom?

i think we need to separate out this sort of thing and the unavoidable growth in Census #s for "common" BA and CA books that bound to drive down prices from the recession.

What you can get for your F/VF Hulk 105 today vs. 2007 or any number of books not impacted by "hotness" or 9.6/9.8iness, that's the barometer. I think it's unavoidable that a % of comic collectors have been hit by this recession and are on the sideliness and or have severely cut back. I have not been impacted by the recession and have not cut back...of course, I'm a fool because if either of us loose our jobs, we are up s***t creek without a paddle (well, actually, not really, we could hang in there for a year or so... actually, if I had to stay home with my son we'd save so much money I could probably make up the difference via ebay and odd jobs and unemployment!)

i haven't noticed much of a difference, but i'm not selling all that much, and not slabs. actually, the "best offers" I've been getting have been pretty fair.

"Yes, unless a hot or key book prices have slid from 20% to more than 50% of last years value. Especially late bronze and copper books."

Might this be because more and more of this stuff has been slabbed and/or pressed and slabbed, so those 9.6ses and 9.8s are just not as special as they used to be?

Could be part of it. I imagine that in most economic situations where cash needs to be generated fast collectibles go first. I see more dumping and the scarcity of books has dropped.