• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Roots: The Victorian Age of Comic Book Fandom!
7 7

72 posts in this topic

I love how in the pic quoted earlier, FT, JC, and r1970d are all tapping out a particular rythym, while Gregorio is just 'SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM'. :D

Btw Flee, the whole thing is genuis, not just that one panel. Great concept and execution. I keep noticing little things like Gregorio's 'spamming' every time I give it another gander.

Edited by Beau

In order to share their newfound passion, "picture-book" collectors took to the wires

and formed telegraph forums to discuss all-things-Obadiah.

telegraph-forums1.gif

The kid in the upper right picture is a young David Sarnoff, who grew up to be the president of RCA and a very influential mover in the development of radio and television. One of the most talented executives of the early 20th century.

You had me at the edge of my seat the whole time. Hilarious. One question, though. Is the "Thine arms are composed of thin bread loves!" a reference to something?

One of JC's favorite terms of a few years ago was "breadstick-armed fanboys." lol

He apparently learned the concept from his great-granpappy Jebediah.

Edited by Zonker

Speculation ran rampant, as everyone caught "Obadiah" fever. Soon, about the only

place you could get a copy was from a "picture-book" dealer. The dealers organized

and held the first Obadiah Convention in 1843 out behind the Capital Feed and Seed

store in Richmond, Virginia. Pictured here is the booth of the Nikolai Brothers from

Boston.

conbooth.jpg

That was one of your best photo stories yet! :applause:

I half expected to see Harley setting up in the above pic.

The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck debuted in 1837 in Europe and when it was

published in the U.S., it was a newpaper supplement that was translated into English.

Wait a minute. Comics where invented in Europe... I KNEW IT!... (Only goofing around, so no hate mail... please)

That was fun. Great job :applause:

Steve Meyer was kind enough to send me this link (Mucho thanks, friend Steve)

This thread story is a lot of fun, thanks for spending the time, would luv to sewe some of these other Flee stories referenced by others

Am set up at Heroescon this week end, already seen a bunch of CGC-listeer regular types

Just to set the history correct, Topffer's first version of this issued in Geneva Switzerland in 1828, first hit Paris in 1833, first English translation by Tilt & Bogue in 1841, those very printing plates brought to America summer of 1842 and then almost continuously being reprinted in America as late as 1904.

Twas also issued in other Euro countries contributing to the origins of comic books all over the place, not just America.

Speculation ran rampant, as everyone caught "Obadiah" fever. Soon, about the only

place you could get a copy was from a "picture-book" dealer. The dealers organized

and held the first Obadiah Convention in 1843 out behind the Capital Feed and Seed

store in Richmond, Virginia. Pictured here is the booth of the Nikolai Brothers from

Boston.

conbooth.jpg

That was one of your best photo stories yet! :applause:

I half expected to see Harley setting up in the above pic.

I love how they've only got one book for sale.