• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Payment Overdue Notice - Does ComicLink EVER read their emails

81 posts in this topic

I've had the "you haven't paid yet" emails a number of times. I think they're generated automatically. I'll process my orders, but it'll often be weeks before they charge my credit card. I think they might have a "grace period" where they wait to see if you're going to buy anything else before they charge your card. In the meantime, the "pay up, you deadbeat" emails go out automatically, even though it's THEIR fault you haven't paid yet.

And it's common for me to have to send half a dozen emails before I get a reply from someone. Despite what ArAich said, my experience is that Tomis is terrible at email correspondence.

One thing that bugs me is that when they DO charge your credit card for an order, you don't get any kind of email confirmation or receipt.

Here's an example: I bought 3 or 4 books at different times, and processed the orders separately, which means that I had no choice but to add the $35 shipping fee to Canada to every order. (You must select a shipping option when you process each order.) I sent Tomis an email to ask him to consolidate all the orders and only charge ONE shipping fee to my card. OF course, I got no reply. Eventually, the books arrived in one shipment.

When I got my VISA statement, I saw that they had processed multiple charges to the card.

The problem was that, since I never received a statement or email receipt from Comiclink, I had no idea exactly what they had charged me for, or if it was correct, since the VISA statement shows the charges in CDN dollars, and the exchange rate fluctuates. As hard as I tried to reconcile the numbers against my purchases, the charges didn't make much sense. I couldn't tell which charges were for which books, and which charge(s) included a shipping fee, etc. For all I knew, they had double-charged me for shipping.

I wrote to Tomis (til I was blue in the face) to ask for a summary of the VISA charges, and I either got no answer, or I got an answer that maked no sense or was incomplete, e.g.:

ME: "Tomis, this is the third time I've written to ask if you could let me know the total amounts you billed to my VISA on date A, date B and date C, and a breakdown of what those charges were for (name and selling price of the book, commission, and shipping if any). I need to reconcile these numbers with my VISA statement."

TOMIS (a few weeks later): "The banks sometimes charge a processing fee on top of the exchange rate."

I still buy from Comiclink. But I've given up trying to ask them questions or get any kind of timely or rational reply via email. When I buy from them, eventually the comics always show up, and they're always well packaged. I've decided that that's about all I can expect from them.

One other side note: as a seller, I love getting my payment cheque from them. It's hand written. For a company that must process hundreds of thousands of dollars each month (if not each week), it's all very quaint.

Yeah but isn't the fact that their customer service is so poor but people still buy from them a sign that we comic collectors will just go where the books are, and be damned with very poor customer service.

If we had a good competitor, with a similar business model, then i am sure that people would switch over to them in droves. As it is, i am contemplating making this my last purchase on principle alone.

One should not have to chase them, over and over again. I'm sorry but this inexcusable.

My last purchasing experience with them wasn't great either. I won a book in the previous focused auction and selected "Pay by Check" instead of my usual credit card option. I receive the conformation email telling me where to send the check and I notice in the email they accept Paypal. So I reply asking if I can use Paypal instead. I go about a week with no response, so I call them up and ask them about using Paypal. Tomis said that was ok. I send payment immediately after talking on the phone. I wait for several more days to receive some kind of shipping notice, but none comes. I call them back to make sure they got the payment ok and Tomis thinks I am sending a check doh! . I correct him and he then finds where I sent the Paypal payment instead. I also tell him to use FedEx instead of UPS because of my past experiences( and other board members). I think everything is kosher and expect my book to be shipped promptly. It is at least 3 or 4 days before I receive my shipping notice. And guess what? It's UPS!! :pullhair: At least I got the book in one piece without any damage to it.

End Rant.

I've had the "you haven't paid yet" emails a number of times. I think they're generated automatically. I'll process my orders, but it'll often be weeks before they charge my credit card. I think they might have a "grace period" where they wait to see if you're going to buy anything else before they charge your card. In the meantime, the "pay up, you deadbeat" emails go out automatically, even though it's THEIR fault you haven't paid yet.

And it's common for me to have to send half a dozen emails before I get a reply from someone. Despite what ArAich said, my experience is that Tomis is terrible at email correspondence.

One thing that bugs me is that when they DO charge your credit card for an order, you don't get any kind of email confirmation or receipt.

Here's an example: I bought 3 or 4 books at different times, and processed the orders separately, which means that I had no choice but to add the $35 shipping fee to Canada to every order. (You must select a shipping option when you process each order.) I sent Tomis an email to ask him to consolidate all the orders and only charge ONE shipping fee to my card. OF course, I got no reply. Eventually, the books arrived in one shipment.

When I got my VISA statement, I saw that they had processed multiple charges to the card.

The problem was that, since I never received a statement or email receipt from Comiclink, I had no idea exactly what they had charged me for, or if it was correct, since the VISA statement shows the charges in CDN dollars, and the exchange rate fluctuates. As hard as I tried to reconcile the numbers against my purchases, the charges didn't make much sense. I couldn't tell which charges were for which books, and which charge(s) included a shipping fee, etc. For all I knew, they had double-charged me for shipping.

I wrote to Tomis (til I was blue in the face) to ask for a summary of the VISA charges, and I either got no answer, or I got an answer that maked no sense or was incomplete, e.g.:

ME: "Tomis, this is the third time I've written to ask if you could let me know the total amounts you billed to my VISA on date A, date B and date C, and a breakdown of what those charges were for (name and selling price of the book, commission, and shipping if any). I need to reconcile these numbers with my VISA statement."

TOMIS (a few weeks later): "The banks sometimes charge a processing fee on top of the exchange rate."

I still buy from Comiclink. But I've given up trying to ask them questions or get any kind of timely or rational reply via email. When I buy from them, eventually the comics always show up, and they're always well packaged. I've decided that that's about all I can expect from them.

One other side note: as a seller, I love getting my payment cheque from them. It's hand written. For a company that must process hundreds of thousands of dollars each month (if not each week), it's all very quaint.

Yeah but isn't the fact that their customer service is so poor but people still buy from them a sign that we comic collectors will just go where the books are, and be damned with very poor customer service.

If we had a good competitor, with a similar business model, then i am sure that people would switch over to them in droves. As it is, i am contemplating making this my last purchase on principle alone.

One should not have to chase them, over and over again. I'm sorry but this inexcusable.

I hope someone from Clink is watching and reading this thread, it is chock full of honest criticism that they should address. Clink may be the big dog in high end comics right now but times change.

I also tell him to use FedEx instead of UPS because of my past experiences( and other board members). I think everything is kosher and expect my book to be shipped promptly. It is at least 3 or 4 days before I receive my shipping notice. And guess what? It's UPS!! :pullhair: At least I got the book in one piece without any damage to it.

End Rant.

I am glad you expressed your dislike of UPS to them. I too have discussed this with Tom. I think Fedex should be the default shipping option, not the exception.

Just goes to illustrate my point, here Josh is, making money hand over fist and yet he doesn't spend any of that money getting his site improved, or heaven forbid, spend some of it improving the quality of customer service.. No No No

You know what, we must be stupid to carry on giving this guy out money, and i speak as someone who has done that over and over again.

Enough is Enough, lets pay a bit more for our comics but reward the dealers like Bob Storms/Alan Bahr etc who have great customer service.

I would think a phone call would clear up (shrug)

I don't see why three emails couldn't have cleared it up. (shrug)

They are a "call 'em" type company. They have to stop everything they are doing to talk to you, and it helps them focus on any specifics. Given the amount of books that passes through their doors, I would call them.

Not them I am against calling but ComicLink tends to send most information via email so they should be responding via the same. Plus as a client I should be able to choose my form of communication.

Also being in Hong Kong there is 12 hours difference between Eastern Standard Time so the only hours when I am up that they are open is between 9pm-midnight my time. Not exactly key time for me to be worrying about comics during the week, that's more time that I generally use for putting the kids to bed, spending time with the wife, entertaining bankers/clients/suppliers, trading in the US market, having a pint with friends, relaxing and winding down.

end rantrant

I would think a phone call would clear up (shrug)

(thumbs u

Whenever I call I get things taken care of exactly the way I want them to be. Correctly and expeditiously.

Sometimes I get email responses, sometimes I don't. I chalk it up to volume and the fact that the guys running the show actually field the phone calls and answer the emails. It's not like they have a call center or a 50 person staff on hand to do email check.

Pick up a phone, speak to a living, breathing human being and be precise about what you want, need or why you are calling. They will take care of it.

They did the same (or similar) thing to me three times. In all instances I paid within hours of the end of the auction, the card was charged, and I waited...and waited....and then got their charming email accusing me of not paying.

It took 2 emails from me for them to get it straight.

What's with the stiff defensive posture from some folks? I think those emails are automated. I don't believe Tomis is sitting at his keyboard with a scowl on his face, writing this "accusatory" email that you are a deadbeat.

Comic Link should do a better job of answering their emails.

People need to chillax.

They did the same (or similar) thing to me three times. In all instances I paid within hours of the end of the auction, the card was charged, and I waited...and waited....and then got their charming email accusing me of not paying.

What's with the stiff defensive posture from some folks? I think those emails are automated. I don't believe Tomis is sitting at his keyboard with a scowl on his face, writing this "accusatory" email that you are a deadbeat.

Comic Link should answer their emails.

People need to chillax.

Fixed that for you.

People need to chillax.

Fixed that for you.

I agree. Maybe the just don't like certain people. :baiting: They probably answer 90% of my emails. They answer 100% of my phone calls though. People can b&tch and moan all they want or take their business somewhere else. Me, I accept the fact that they don't always answer their emails and therefore I choose to call and accomplish exactly what I want. It's not rocket science.

People need to chillax.

Fixed that for you.

I agree. Maybe the just don't like certain people. :baiting: They probably answer 90% of my emails. They answer 100% of my phone calls though. People can b&tch and moan all they want or take their business somewhere else. Me, I accept the fact that they don't always answer their emails and therefore I choose to call and accomplish exactly what I want. It's not rocket science.

True. It's called customer service.

But I dont get how an internet based company doesnt answer e-mails... If they had a toll free number, great. But they don't & calling from Hong Kong or any other country, including Canada, can be pricey. Email is free and instantaneous and will even give them the time needed to find the info and respond to clients appropriately. just my 2c

People need to chillax.

Fixed that for you.

Yeah but i already spoke to them, how much more can i do, i have sent them probably 4 e-mails since calling them and sorting out the payment and yet they cant be bothered to spend the one minute it will take to update their bloody system to the fact that i should not be receiving their damn e-mails telling me to checkout.

CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE..their is no excuse

I'm sorry but when did it become my job to chase them to sort out something that they have been informed about ?

I also tell him to use FedEx instead of UPS because of my past experiences( and other board members). I think everything is kosher and expect my book to be shipped promptly. It is at least 3 or 4 days before I receive my shipping notice. And guess what? It's UPS!! :pullhair: At least I got the book in one piece without any damage to it.

End Rant.

I am glad you expressed your dislike of UPS to them. I too have discussed this with Tom. I think Fedex should be the default shipping option, not the exception.

I bought an Amazing Spiderman 129 of the forums here about 3 months ago and when Fed Ex delivered the package, the box was so smashed up the packing fluff was trailing from the truck to the door. Luckily the seller packed the item so tight that it survived. I would not put my trust in fed ex after that.

But I dont get how an internet based company doesnt answer e-mails... If they had a toll free number, great. But they don't & calling from Hong Kong or any other country, including Canada, can be pricey. Email is free and instantaneous and will even give them the time needed to find the info and respond to clients appropriately. just my 2c

Its complacency, sure and simple.

If they had competition or people worked on principles/ethics as opposed to being comic whores to whomever has their books, then this would change.

They have money, probably made more year on year for the last 5 years, so why not spend some of it on more staff and improving services, GREED and complacency that's why. This whilst their communications has gotten worse, year on year for the last 5 years (imho).

People need to chillax.

Fixed that for you.

Yeah but i already spoke to them, how much more can i do, i have sent them probably 4 e-mails since calling them and sorting out the payment and yet they cant be bothered to spend the one minute it will take to update their bloody system to the fact that i should not be receiving their damn e-mails telling me to checkout.

CUSTOMER SERVICE, CUSTOMER SERVICE..their is no excuse

I'm sorry but when did it become my job to chase them to sort out something that they have been informed about ?

Its not, and frankly with the poor customer service I recommend that no one spend a dime there until things are fixed. Nothing will change as long as you, the customer support there terrible customer service.

The only way is a Boycott, but since majority of users will not go along with that idea, you have to put up with there way of doing business, and that obviously means you chasing them down.

Well, if its any solace to you; I haven't been PAID for two books that sold on the 'link for over 5 weeks now! I simply don't know how you stay in business with this level of service? lack of competent competition? You'd think sooner, or later, this type of protocol of non-action would catch up to a business...perhaps not :(

That about sums it up for me.

What I can't stand is that you never know what is going on with your order.

I got no confirmation that my card was ever charged.

I have no idea where in the system my book is.

How hard can it be to post this on the web site or send an email.

So here I sit, in the dark again, waiting for my book to surprise me in the mail some day.

well, now i know why my emails have been ignored. i've had pretty decent experiences with comiclink until recently. hopefully they do a couple improvements to keep their booming business moving in the right direction.... or i'll be taking the budget over to other auction venues and web sites.

Comic Link should do a better job of answering their emails.

People need to chillax.

Stiff defensive posture???

You're kidding right?

If you appreciate paying promptly, not getting the merchandise for weeks AND THEN being accused of not paying, have at it.... :screwy:

Oh, yes...multiple times.