• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I'm not sticking up for the seller, but if he gets back to his computer and finds a PM :takeit: that has arrived before your thread :takeit: and it is not specified in his thread what takes precedence, then he could certainly honor the first :takeit: .

I don't have the full details, because I have some conflicting PM's from the seller. It sounds like additional time to pay was requested from the prospective purchaser, at the same time I was trying to verify the integrity of the staple via PM.

Bottom line, I agreed to purchase with no strings attached after verifying that the staple was not rusted, whereas, as I understand it, modified terms were being discussed with a different potential purchaser via PM.

All I have to say is :cry:

Edited by pennynike1

I'm not sticking up for the seller, but if he gets back to his computer and finds a PM :takeit: that has arrived before your thread :takeit: and it is not specified in his thread what takes precedence, then he could certainly honor the first :takeit: .

Good point GA! I've posted :takeit: via PM and I've also received them via PM, and I agree these are just as valid as one posted in a thread--time stamp is the name of the game in that instance.

Bottom line, I agreed to purchase with no strings attached after verifying that the staple was not rusted, whereas, as I understand it, modified terms were being discussed with a different potential purchaser via PM.

I certainly sympathise but if a definite deal was struck before you hit the BIN then the other sale would have precedence. Having said that, the seller should immediately update the thread upon an agreed sale.

Good point GA! I've posted :takeit: via PM and I've also received them via PM, and I agree these are just as valid as one posted in a thread--time stamp is the name of the game in that instance.

Some sellers outright specify thread :takeit: as trump thus eliminating any confusion, some accept the timestamp on a PM :takeit: as a sale. It then depends on the honesty of the seller to post that as quickly as possible(not everyone is around their computer all the time) to maintain the integrity of the process.

I have numerous PM's from the seller that can verify that he was active on the computer...he just choose to ignore his thread.

He was trading PM's with me and the other guy for a bit. Not sure what he was saying to the other guy, but he was explaining to me why he couldn't sell to me.

I have numerous PM's from the seller that can verify that he was active on the computer...he just choose to ignore his thread

Hmmm. So the bottom line is still, did the other sale take place before you posted. If so and the thread it wasn't updated, it certainly qualifies for poor form. Hopefully the seller will be honest and sell the book to the first true :takeit: .

What I do know is this: I posted the BIN in the thread before the transaction was verified with the purchaser.

I will post the first communication I have from the seller:

Alex,

Let me think about it. I have a buyer at my asking price but he needs 2 weeks to pay. If I can sell enough here in the next day or two I may end up pulling the book altogether and keeping it.

Thanks,

Mike

And this was one minute before I purchased:

Alex,

No, the staple isn't rusty. It's just a darker staple.

I am awaiting a confirmation PM from the other party. The book may be sold at ask, I will know shortly.

If it has not sold I will let you know.

Thanks,

Mike

Book appears to be mine the way I see it. If the book was officially sold, then it should have been removed from the thread, marked as sold in the thread. He was awaiting confirmation when I threw down the hammer :whistle:

Edited by pennynike1

in my former sales threads, I specify that first :takeit: via PM or thread "gets the book"...

there are some that don't want to publicly post, because they want to keep their collecting private, etc...

a few months ago, I had a situation where I got a PM take it, before a take in in the thread, and we all know it takes time sometimes, to form responses, go back into the thread and mark sold, etc...

luckily, my situation ended well for both parties and me, but I can see this from both perspectives...

so, until hockeyandcomics responds, (and this is nothing against penny), we have only heard one side... and of course, I have no idea what side is right, till all the facts are laid out?

I feel for you, but in this situation my first reaction is to side with the seller. If seller receives a p.m. with a conditional "take it" that asks for a bit of leeway in paying for the book, and the p.m. arrives before your "take it" is posted in the sales thread, then I believe it is at the discretion of the seller to whom to sell.

I try and avoid these situations when I sell books by using the policy "first unconditional "take it" reserves each book", and posting this policy in the thread for all to see. According to this policy, yours would be the binding and winning "take it", and there would be no ambiguity about it.

This is straight forward to me at least. Seller had book sold via pm prior to the public ill take it on thread. If a buyer posted i take it, but in same email asks if a 2 week payment window is cool, but he will take it regardless, then what you have is a sold book, the time table is somewhere between now and 2 weeks for payment, but book sold regardless.

No way should there be any kind of probabtion issue here, unless the seller is completely fabricating a buyer in order to avoid honoring a sale, which I do not think at all is the case.

If a seller takes an hour, or 3, to update his thread, it may be frowned upon, but that is also not a probation issue.

This is straight forward to me at least. Seller had book sold via pm prior to the public ill take it on thread. If a buyer posted i take it, but in same email asks if a 2 week payment window is cool, but he will take it regardless, then what you have is a sold book, the time table is somewhere between now and 2 weeks for payment, but book sold regardless.

If that is what happened here I would agree, but the posted PM's don't say that.

There is a difference between someone saying.... " :takeit: if I can have 2 weeks to pay" and simply " :takeit: "

Nothing we saw here said the PM buyer would take it regardless.

This can only get clarified by the other parties.

C

I certainly empathize with the buyer who posted the first :takeit: I think the seller should stand by what he wrote in the thread. It's silly to pretend that what was written in the thread pertains to PM's. But it's the seller's right to interpret his obligations as he sees fit, as we are not party to all of the discussions. Bottom line? It's the seller's book, he can do as he wishes. It is not a probation issue. :sorry:

Maybe it's possible that Penny removed himself from the PM thread, kind of like what he did to me last week, when he PMed me asking a question and I took time out of my family vacation to answer him and he removed himself from the thread 52 minutes later. I spent half an hour formulating a response from my Iphone and by the time I hit the submit button he was gone.

Don't ever waste my time like that again Bro.

Jim

What I do know is this: I posted the BIN in the thread before the transaction was verified with the purchaser.

I will post the first communication I have from the seller:

Alex,

Let me think about it. I have a buyer at my asking price but he needs 2 weeks to pay. If I can sell enough here in the next day or two I may end up pulling the book altogether and keeping it.

Thanks,

Mike

And this was one minute before I purchased:

Alex,

No, the staple isn't rusty. It's just a darker staple.

I am awaiting a confirmation PM from the other party. The book may be sold at ask, I will know shortly.

If it has not sold I will let you know.

Thanks,

Mike

Book appears to be mine the way I see it. If the book was officially sold, then it should have been removed from the thread, marked as sold in the thread. He was awaiting confirmation when I threw down the hammer :whistle:

Posting PMs is pretty lame.

Prior to you posting ' :takeit: ' in the thread.....the seller informed you that the book may already be sold, and that he would let you know if it wasn't.

Am I missing something here?

Maybe it's possible that Penny removed himself from the PM thread, kind of like what he did to me last week, when he PMed me asking a question and I took time out of my family vacation to answer him and he removed himself from the thread 52 minutes later. I spent half an hour formulating a response from my Iphone and by the time I hit the submit button he was gone.

Don't ever waste my time like that again Bro.

Jim

He does everyone that way.

PM's tell the first account of what took place. If I didn't post PM's, then someone would be bound to say "let the PM's do the talking." The sale had not gone through, and the only day in my posting the the BIN beforehand was the staple.

Is it really?

Certification #0633219012 Transfer Accepted‏

Sent: Sun 3/08/09 1:49 PM

To: pennynike@msn.com

Hello pennynike1,

We have processed hockey&comicsguy's acceptance to transfer the comic with certification #0633219012 to your Comic Registry Collection.

This comic was also added to your set. If you already had a comic in this slot, it has been removed from the set. However, it is still registered to you and you can add it to this or other sets at any time.

We have done our best to ensure the comic is now in the rightful owner's Comic Registry Collection.

If you feel a mistake has been made, or you have any other questions or concerns, please contact gadel@cgccomics.com.

Comic Registry Processing System

Collectors Society

Edited by pennynike1