• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

(shrug)

After I put down the BIN, I attempted to register the book on the registry. It was registered to him, so I received a message indicating that they would check with the owner. Just checked my email a few minutes ago and found that sitting there...

Maybe it's possible that Penny removed himself from the PM thread, kind of like what he did to me last week, when he PMed me asking a question and I took time out of my family vacation to answer him and he removed himself from the thread 52 minutes later. I spent half an hour formulating a response from my Iphone and by the time I hit the submit button he was gone.

Don't ever waste my time like that again Bro.

Jim

He does everyone that way.

This is pretty harsh...I'm sure you'd see it differently if you were you. I think that there was quite a long period of time that went by after the I'll Take It sign appeared. I can understand if in a few min...the guy said "wait a min". But, he didn't. I think it should have gone to Alex.

(shrug)

After I put down the BIN, I attempted to register the book on the registry. It was registered to him, so I received a message indicating that they would check with the owner. Just checked my email a few minutes ago and found that sitting there...

Why would you register the book before you even paid for it? Now I'm really ????

(shrug)

Why would you register the book before you even paid for it? Now I'm really ????

+1.

Particularly since there's no such thing as "BIN" in a sales thread that doesn't distinguish between "take it" committments in private messages from those posted in the sales thread. And particularly since there hasn't been any confirmation from the seller via either the sales thread or a p.m. (shrug)

This is the dumbest shit I have read in a while.

Moaning like g.., hell. even girls don't moan like babies over a funny book.

Acting like a two year old over this situation.

I had agreed to pay by posting the BIN, and then PM'd him asking for his paypal info in order to make payment. The book was mine in my mind, and apparently the seller agreed at some point (shrug)

Edited by pennynike1

Alex,

Let me think about it. I have a buyer at my asking price but he needs 2 weeks to pay. If I can sell enough here in the next day or two I may end up pulling the book altogether and keeping it.

Thanks,

Mike

Alex,

No, the staple isn't rusty. It's just a darker staple.

I am awaiting a confirmation PM from the other party. The book may be sold at ask, I will know shortly.

If it has not sold I will let you know.

Thanks,

Mike

Based on this PM exchange, one could argue that the book was still up for grabs to everyone in the marketplace except Pennynike.

Since we can not see the PM exchange between the other buyer and the seller, we can't be sure, but it would appear that a deal had not been finalized, and the sellers post in the PM said that the "I'll Take it trumps" . To me this would mean that the book was still up for grabs untill an unconditional "I'll Take it" was posted.

However, since Pennynike was told specifically, "I am awaiting a confirmation PM from the other party. The book made be sold at ask, I will know shortly." It could be said that he was directly eliminated from the running untill the other buyer responded.

I don't see an issue here! The seller has done nothing wrong IMO.

I had agreed to pay by posting the BIN, and then PM'd him asking for his paypal info in order to make payment. The book was mine in my mind, and apparently the seller agreed at some point (shrug)

I have to agree with the people asking why register the comic before you actually had it. You didn't have the book IN HAND - unless the buyer was to meet you personally, anything can happen to that comic while in transit.

(shrug)

-slym

Let me get the timeline straight:

Prior to you posting in the thread, the seller informed you that he had a buyer, that he had agreed to delayed payment, but he hadn't gotten a response from the buyer giving the final "yes." After hearing that, you rushed back to the thread and posted the I'll Take It, thinking that you would stake a claim for the book before the guy responded. Is that it?

Without knowing the exact wording of the negotiations with the other buyer, I'd say the seller did the right thing, because it sounds like the seller basically agreed to the sale when he responded saying the delayed payment was okay.

It's unfortunate that our system on the boards has this potential problem of sales being made by pm and posting in the thread, but I don't see a way around it.

I know I'm going to be more specific in my next selling thread about how I'll handle things. I like the suggestion someone made about clarifying that the first "unconditional" offer, via pm or in the thread, gets the book, but I think I'll say something to the effect that I reserve the right to sell to someone if I we are negotiating in good faith to close a deal and someone posts in the thread. It leaves some grey areas, I know, but it seems better to mention the possibility up front than just hope this kind of thing never comes up.

Maybe it's possible that Penny removed himself from the PM thread, kind of like what he did to me last week, when he PMed me asking a question and I took time out of my family vacation to answer him and he removed himself from the thread 52 minutes later. I spent half an hour formulating a response from my Iphone and by the time I hit the submit button he was gone.

Don't ever waste my time like that again Bro.

Jim

He does everyone that way.

:eek:

(shrug)

I feel bad for all parties involved but, this particular post really made me laugh. :sorry:

1. Seller should have stated the book was on hold.

2. This is not grounds for probation and should have been in general.

I can see the frustration. But do what I do, make note that you should not deal with this seller and move on. (thumbs u

Otherwise, waste of reading. :boo:

What are you talking about? What does that have to do with this situation?

Well it proves one thing...that you don't know how to apologize when given an opening (a sorry here, really would have gone along way) and secondly it proves that karma is a beeyotch.

Jim

Ok all it's time for me to chime in hear.

First off, I understand pennymike's frustration. Secondly, I am extremely disappointed that he decided on this course of action.

I have been working hard all day long trying to find an amicable resolution to this and unfortunately for pennymike, it wasn't going to be to his liking.

First, I did state :takeit: trumps. HOWEVER, I never stated it had to be in the thread. There are many buyers who prefer to remain anonymous with their purchases and nowhere did I imply that :takeit: in the thread, trumps an :takeit: via PM.

At 2:37pm I rec'd a pm stating :takeit:. There was one stipulation from the buyer though, that he needed two weeks to make payment.

At 3:07pm I sent him a PM stating that I agreed to his terms and that the book was his.

At 3:08pm I sent pennymike a pm (this was probably the 3rd or 4th pm we had exchanged) that I had accepted the :takeit: from another buyer and was simply awaiting confirmation that the buyer had not changed his mind.

At 3:11pm pennymike posted the :takeit: in the thread, even after I told him I had found a buyer who had pm'd me the :takeit:.

In my mind, there was nothing left up for debate. I had a legitimate I'll take it. I had agreed to the buyer's terms and pm'd him as such.

Unfortunately, all of this took place in a matter of minutes. Minutes I was spending not only pming the buyer and pennymike, but other parties regarding other books. Perhaps I can be faulted for not marking the book was "on hold" or that it was "sold" in the thread. But we're literally talking about a span of a few minutes and I didn't get that accomplished.

Furthermore, I went back to the original buyer and explained that there was another buyer ready to go and asked if he would be willing to step aside. I told him I felt the book was his and that I would honor the deal if he wished to proceed. He did.

I felt I did everything I could to put the book in pennymike's hands even though in my mind I had a deal 4 minutes ahead of his and had no obligation to do so.

Despite pennymike's anger and frustration over the situation. Despite his pm's that I felt questioned my integrity and character, I remained calm and continued to try and explain to him what had happened.

The bottom line is nowhere was it implied that :takeit: could only be posted in the thread. And I accepted another buyer's terms 4 minutes ahead of pennymike posting the :takeit:.

I could not in good conscience screw over the original buyer. A person who I PM'd and said "OK, I accept, the book is yours if you still want it". IMO, if I had ended up selling the book to pennymike, I feel that I would have done the wrong thing.

In the end, I feel like I absolutely did the right thing. I feel bad for pennymike as I know he wanted the book but that doesn't change the facts.

Mike

edit: as for the registration of the book. I received an email notifying me that pennymike requested the book be transferred to his reg set. I clicked the link and left a message in the message box explaining that the book should not be moved to his reg set as it was sold to another buyer. In my haste I hit the "accept" button. Still, the message was clear to reject the transfer. I pm'd Dena immediately explaining my mistake. I then pm'd pennymike explaining what had happened.

Edited by hockey&comicsguy

Thanks for replying here. Your logic makes perfect sense. Your explanation clears things up 100%. (thumbs u

C

Ok all it's time for me to chime in hear.

First off, I understand pennymike's frustration. Secondly, I am extremely disappointed that he decided on this course of action.

I have been working hard all day long trying to find an amicable resolution to this and unfortunately for pennymike, it wasn't going to be to his liking.

First, I did state :takeit: trumps. HOWEVER, I never stated it had to be in the thread. There are many buyers who prefer to remain anonymous with their purchases and nowhere did I imply that :takeit: in the thread, trumps an :takeit: via PM.

At 2:37pm I rec'd a pm stating :takeit:. There was one stipulation from the buyer though, that he needed two weeks to make payment.

At 3:07pm I sent him a PM stating that I agreed to his terms and that the book was his.

At 3:08pm I sent pennymike a pm (this was probably the 3rd or 4th pm we had exchanged) that I had accepted the :takeit: from another buyer and was simply awaiting confirmation that the buyer had not changed his mind.

At 3:11pm pennymike posted the :takeit: in the thread, even after I told him I had found a buyer who had pm'd me the :takeit:.

In my mind, there was nothing left up for debate. I had a legitimate I'll take it. I had agreed to the buyer's terms and pm'd him as such.

Unfortunately, all of this took place in a matter of minutes. Minutes I was spending not only pming the buyer and pennymike, but other parties regarding other books. Perhaps I can be faulted for not marking the book was "on hold" or that it was "sold" in the thread. But we're literally talking about a span of a few minutes and I didn't get that accomplished.

Furthermore, I went back to the original buyer and explained that there was another buyer ready to go and asked if he would be willing to step aside. I told him I felt the book was his and that I would honor the deal if he wished to proceed. He did.

I felt I did everything I could to put the book in pennymike's hands even though in my mind I had a deal 4 minutes ahead of his and had no obligation to do so.

Despite pennymike's anger and frustration over the situation. Despite his pm's that I felt questioned my integrity and character, I remained calm and continued to try and explain to him what had happened.

The bottom line is nowhere was it implied that :takeit: could only be posted in the thread. And I accepted another buyer's terms 4 minutes ahead of pennymike posting the :takeit:.

I could not in good conscience screw over the original buyer. A person who I PM'd and said "OK, I accept, the book is yours if you still want it". IMO, if I had ended up selling the book to pennymike, I feel that I would have done the wrong thing.

In the end, I feel like I absolutely did the right thing. I feel bad for pennymike as I know he wanted the book but that doesn't change the facts.

Mike

edit: as for the registration of the book. I received an email notifying me that pennymike requested the book be transferred to his reg set. I clicked the link and left a message in the message box explaining that the book should not be moved to his reg set as it was sold to another buyer. In my haste I hit the "accept" button. Still, the message was clear to reject the transfer. I pm'd Dena immediately explaining my mistake. I then pm'd pennymike explaining what had happened.

Great post Mike! Sorry you had to go through this.