• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I am disturbed by the buyer's delays in making promised payments, but I am also disturbed by the seller's withholding delivery of the first book that was paid for.

Divad, you do realize that he got the Avengers the next day, right? And are you *actually* trying to tell us that these two things are equivalent and that somehow TFL is going to escape "the list".

This whole "he was mean to me, so now I don't have to pay" excuse would NEVER fly anywhere else - try that with a bank manager sometime. It's just bizarre equating the two, especially since TFL has the Avengers book and Filter is out $25K on the HT sale.

If you have any personal dealings or friendship with TFL, I think you'd better state it now, or I think it's time to organize a coup. :sumo:

I would have kept the cash from the Avengers 4 as a downpayment on the HT and made him suffer. If it was legitimate reasons for not purchasing that is one thing, but the buyer was picking up 2 books. He made payments on 1 and not the other? To hellz with that. Pay what you owe :sumo:

I am disturbed by the buyer's delays in making promised payments, but I am also disturbed by the seller's withholding delivery of the first book that was paid for.

Divad, you do realize that he got the Avengers the next day, right? And are you *actually* trying to tell us that these two things are equivalent and that somehow TFL is going to escape "the list".

This whole "he was mean to me, so now I don't have to pay" excuse would NEVER fly anywhere else - try that with a bank manager sometime. It's just bizarre equating the two, especially since TFL has the Avengers book and Filter is out $25K on the HT sale.

If you have any personal dealings or friendship with TFL, I think you'd better state it now, or I think it's time to organize a coup. :sumo:

The thinly-veiled accusation of nepotism aside, JC is actually right on the money here - Adam went above & beyond in actually mailing TFL the Avengers book even though at that point it was clear that TFL had been lying to his face for 5 months, promising a down payment on the HT #1 that would never materialize.

If this had been me, I would have been far less gracious, would have kept the Avengers book, and considered the money TFL paid the missing down payment on the HT #1 :sumo:

Not at all Vince. He's on the list. No one equated the two acts. I didn't endorse either buyer or seller's behavior. And beside, you know you are my best friend on the boards. :foryou:

My comments were non-judgmental, as I seriously doubt the veracity and motivation of both parties.

Would I have waited 5 months without payment? No. Would I have held $26,000 worth of books for a deadbeat? No. Doesn't anything sound wrong to you? hm

You can monitor the list any freakin' time you want. :sumo:

Bosco - when you bump the thread, take out the quotes. Thanks. :)

btw, did you really name yourself after a breakfast drink??? lol

Will do (thumbs u

Yup, but associated with the Seinfeld episode, which only four board members picked up on immediately and sent PMs. lol

Will do (thumbs u

Yup, but associated with the Seinfeld episode, which only four board members picked up on immediately and sent PMs. lol

:acclaim:

I know it's not April but is this a joke? TFL just got $20 from comicseekers for a loose from backing out of a deal.

If whats good for the goose is good for the gander, TFL just cost Filter $2000 from a lost sale.

the hypocrisy in TFL's posts re the $20 is mindboggling given the $25k shafting he gave Adam

That thread was actually what made me finally decide to sit down and post this. When I first read TFL's posts in the other thread I was speechless. (Well maybe not entirely speechless, but the words that came to mind at the time I can't share on the boards)

Adam,

All I can say is Wow! My head would have exploded reading that.

Glad you came forward.

Will do (thumbs u

I admit, I missed it :sorry:

Would I have waited 5 months without payment? No. Would I have held $26,000 worth of books for a deadbeat? No. Doesn't anything sound wrong to you? hm

But when you boil it down, those questions are inconsequential, and sound a lot like the "why did her mother bring her to the party when she knew he was there" idiocy on a recent HBO feature on Roman Polanski.

It just doesn't matter to the case at hand.

There was a contract to buy an expensive book, the buyer defaulted and his only reason for doing so is the old "We had a tiff, so I no longer am financially obligated" excuse, which holds no water. He can offer no better explanation, so it's case closed in my book.

Everything else is just window dressing and innuendo.

I have to mea culpa. I voted for TFL in the poll. I only glanced at it and thought it was asking if TFL should be on the probation list. So knock another +1 from off of the TFL side.

I am still waiting for this PM Adam. You know the one where you offer to fly me to Rochester and put me up in a nice hotel room. You said you did send that PM. You said this in a response to a Divad post. I can quote it if you like..... But we both know it doesn't exist. So who was right and who was wrong Adam?

A road trip to Rochester does not mean flying there the last time I checked. No mention of you putting me up in a nice hotel. Just getting a nice hotel room. I don't see any "I'll pay for this, that... I will check back every now and then for this PM... I mean if you made up this stuff. I suppsose you could make up other C rap as well.

I am very comfortable with what I did. None of you know the law to well I guess. You can't keep something that is not yours. No matter what you would like to do. It is illegal plain and simple. I got the book all right. After I filed "a bad business decision" Pay Pal Dispute.

Have fun with the train ride folks. I hope he poll goes to 119 for 0 against.. Like I give a rats azz...

I love it when people don't take responsibility for their actions and try to shift blame. Do you need a bail-out TFL and are just too proud to ask for one, no need to pay the bail-out back either because all you need to do is file a Chapter 11.

I am still waiting for this PM Adam. You know the one where you offer to fly me to Rochester and put me up in a nice hotel room. You said you did send that PM. You said this in a response to a Divad post. I can quote it if you like..... But we both know it doesn't exist. So who was right and who was wrong Adam?

A road trip to Rochester does not mean flying there the last time I checked. No mention of you putting me up in a nice hotel. Just getting a nice hotel room. I don't see any "I'll pay for this, that... I will check back every now and then for this PM... I mean if you made up this stuff. I suppsose you could make up other C rap as well.

I am very comfortable with what I did. None of you know the law to well I guess. You can't keep something that is not yours. No matter what you would like to do. It is illegal plain and simple. I got the book all right. After I filed "a bad business decision" Pay Pal Dispute.

Have fun with the train ride folks. I hope he poll goes to 119 for 0 against.. Like I give a rats azz...

Um....Adam already posted the exact PM....and even apologized for the slight misrepresentation.

No worries though. Carry on....

BTW - You may want to ease off the legal aspect. I'm pretty sure Adam could come after you for compensation were he inclined to do so.

Actually, some of us do and not just because we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. A low depends here on whether these are viewed as 1 or 2 transactions. If it's 1 sale of 2 items, you still haven't performed your end and Adam had no obligation to send you anything. Your $1k payment was not for the 1 book. It was part of the total price for the 2 items.

If it's 2 transactions, a court might still find that the two are interrelated. Depending on whether the $1k was specifically designated for the Avengers book, Adam might be free to apply it to either of 2 debts that you owed.

You might also look up the concept of anticipatory repudiation. Your actions of not paying a down payment (for whatever reasons, valid or not) could equal regular breach of contract. Adam may have waived some obligation for you to specifically make those down payments by continuing to let you slide, but it's not likely absent a specific statement from him to do so.

My advice is to stop trying act like he was blackmailing you and to stop throwing superfluous side arguments in here. You reneged on your promise to make down payments and time payments for whatever reason. Let me just be the first to say that, from what I'm hearing of your past history, I wouldn't be shocked to find that the reasons given were not completely truthful. But I don't care enough to know for sure. I also echo the question asked by others as to why, when you knew Adam had another higher offer for the Torch, you didn't either make a payment or let him sell it to the other buyer? But I'm sure we won't get an answer for that either.

Um....Adam already posted the exact PM....and even apologized for the slight misrepresentation.

No worries though. Carry on....

BTW - You may want to ease off the legal aspect. I'm pretty sure Adam could come after you for compensation were he inclined to do so.

(thumbs u