• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

At one point, someone had the idea of maintaining a historic probation list inventory for buyers and sellers to reference (Count??). This way, even if someone was later removed, the transaction concern could be referenced for later sales consideration.

I think it was going to get tricky how to track this while still being fair to the folks that made the effort to resolve their transgressions.

Like a probation history list? That might be effective but would take lot of work to put together unless it's something that starts now and overlooks all the past transgressions.

That was one of the concerns. Who was going to maintain all those historic details?

But the bigger concern was if someone resolved a one-time situation, should they be "punished" forever by having their name in a historic reference list of PL-worthy activity? It could be perceived as extreme.

Technically, isn't that already the case with the PL? If you go back through it you'll find people on there that have made amends and gotten themselves removed but the fact that they were on the PL is still there if someone wants to take the time to look.

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!! :ohnoez:lol

I'm too poor to pay attention. Actually I think I was typing that as you were posting yours. lol

But it does make sense if afterwards as a seller you are not comfortable, nobody should force you to deal with another person if you think it is going to end up bad. But then you eliminate your ability to recommend them to the PL or HOS as the offending party offered to resolve the situation.
That's exactly the problem though. A member that does something like this shouldn't just walk away unscathed. There's a lot of board members that don't keep up with or in some cases even know about the PL or PL Discussion threads. As a community those that do, from my point of view, have a certain responsibility to watch out for the rest of the boards.

I hear what you're saying ... but if we're talking about protecting people who don't pay attention to the PL or HoS, how is creating a third list gonna help?

It won't.

Again Balls and others has asked for feedback reform which was met with middling response at best.

Plus Arch doesn't want a "negative" feedback listing.

RMA was correct to bring his grievance here which is the only record we have of Kitsune's buying activity.

It's inclusion to this thread will only help minimally at best since no one is going to go back through pages of text for each and every sale made to Kitsune.

Making the guy pay is really the only way to make the guy accountable for his actions... and hopefully make him realize, that the board won't stand for not completing sales made in good faith with others.

Making the guy pay is really the only way to make the guy accountable for his actions... and hopefully make him realize, that the board won't stand for not completing sales made in good faith with others.

Just pointing out that RMA can't use the PL discussion board to make someone pay, then not accept their payment, and then be disappointed he can't put them on the PL list.

This is begging the question and unfair. Your building your argument upon an unproven premise.

And I think you know that. (tsk)

Maybe those who openly sell to members on the PL shouldn't seek any remedy from the very thing they spit on. Seems pretty hypocritical.

:blush: Yeah, that's been pointed out before...

You know Speedy... this whole situation is why Balls and I thought a "red check" / "green check" scenario would benefit the feedback threads.

The "green check" stating the transaction was a total success...

... while the "red check" again would state the transaction went through to completion, but some problems occurred and one should PM the giver of the feedback for details.

Still think its a feasible idea.

Just pointing out that RMA can't use the PL discussion board to make someone pay, then not accept their payment, and then be disappointed he can't put them on the PL list.

This is begging the question and unfair. Your building your argument upon an unproven premise.

And I think you know that. (tsk)

In using RMA's words... you are mistaken.

RMA brought the conversation to this thread... which is used to "complete transactions" . Where is this unproven?

Is there a way to block a boardie so you can't see each others posts?

It works between the two of you. But as soon as someone quotes either party's posts, you are able to view their statements.

For people who are looking for ideas on how to manage non-PL eligible borderline situations - just send a PM to yourself and do your own Personal PL like this sample.

I probably wouldn't add kitsune on the first situation but once the second issue was brought forward the history became relevant. So if you're concerned enough about forgetting problems brought up here that didn't result in a PL nom, track them yourself.

(shrug)

Boardie - PL Discussion Links

kitsune 1 2

For people who are looking for ideas on how to manage non-PL eligible borderline situations - just send a PM to yourself and do your own Personal PL like this sample.

I probably wouldn't add kitsune on the first situation but once the second issue was brought forward the history became relevant. So if you're concerned enough about forgetting problems brought up here that didn't result in a PL nom, track them yourself.

(shrug)

kitsune 1 2

This is awesome, especially with someone like myself who has limited brain power or memory.

Good job fa fa flunky.

(shrug)

kitsune 1 2

Actually what you just did isn't a bad idea, but turn it into a sticky that can't be edited by anyone. Trying to navigate through the PL discussions is very difficult if your trying to find a certain situation because of all the chatter, but if a link was posted (kind of like the PL list) for everyone that was brought up in the discussion thread that could really help in streamlining the process of digging through posts. It would help a lot for new people to decide for themselves if they want to do business with someone or not as well.

I say this because there are definitely situations where someone wasn't/isn't on the PL but my personal feeling is that I don't want to have to deal with their the way someone else did. I wouldn't know that though if I hadn't closely followed the discussion thread and not all of us can keep up or have time to go back through 100's of posts to find what was going on.

(shrug)

kitsune 1 2

Great idea!

(shrug)

kitsune 1 2

That's actually a really good suggestion. (worship)

It works between the two of you. But as soon as someone quotes either party's posts, you are able to view their statements.

Ok. You're back and still not accepting PM's. :taptaptap:

Ok. You're back and still not accepting PM's. :taptaptap:

Huh? That is weird. Let me see if I can figure this out.

Questionable behavior doesn't have a time limit and I don't think that when someone behaves like kitsune has in this instance should be overlooked. How long will it be until he does it again? Letting him off the hook here is opening the door for a whirlwind of problems. It's not fair to insist RMA, whether you like him or not, complete a transaction with someone who, based on his response to the situation, could very well cause more stress for a guy who was just trying to sell some books by doing a charge back just to be vindictive.

Something should be done about this. What exactly that is though isn't 100% clear. 2c

There may not be a clear answer to this, there is no PL formula for when "enough is enough". Kitsune getting his name dragged through the mud here is not "getting off the hook". That is something.

It is the HoS that says in effect "enough is enough", and voting is the only formula that can expresses a consensus judgment.

It is the HoS that says in effect "enough is enough", and voting is the only formula that can expresses a consensus judgment.

I was surprised a few months back when someone mentioned you can get off the HOS list if enough people vote for your "unbanning".

I would think the HOS is for a lifetime when it gets to that point in a situation or series of situations.