• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I like branget's idea. A committee of say 5 elected boardies who are tasked with hearing complaints and handle the pl/hos. Kind of like a small claims court. They could even set what is needed for rehabilitation (Ie sentencing)

Are they uncorruptable though?

I was trying to think of how many board members there should be. 3 is too small and having too many can be an issue. I thought 7-9 but 5 could work. Incorruptible? I already have the list of boardies I would nominate. ;)

I would trust their decision far more than a blind vote that is open to shill accounts, new members just looking to vote with their new friends or succumb to the mob mentality or vendetta junkies.

The issue I see with open voting is, the concern about retaliation and suppression. Lets say Comix4fun nominates me to the HoS because I swindled him and a few other people. Slym2none votes in favor of adding me to the HoS and I get added. Now one of my board friends is going to be all pissed at Slym because he voted against me, could lead to venom on the boards or maybe refusing to sell to slym because of it. Similarly, what happens if the vote doesn't pass? Now I have a list of people to be pissed at (even though I didn't get added).

Sounds like a normal day on the boards anyway.

I like branget's idea. A committee of say 5 elected boardies who are tasked with hearing complaints and handle the pl/hos. Kind of like a small claims court. They could even set what is needed for rehabilitation (Ie sentencing)

I was trying to think of how many board members there should be. 3 is too small and having too many can be an issue. I thought 7-9 but 5 could work. Incorruptible? I already have the list of boardies I would nominate. ;)

I would trust their decision far more than a blind vote that is open to shill accounts, new members just looking to vote with their new friends or succumb to the mob mentality or vendetta junkies.

hm very astute. While I myself have not been here long, I never would have suspected that I would actually contribute to the going on in this forum. I more or less came here by pure accident on Google, looking for alternatives to the shilling of eBay. Instead I found a very rich community, vibrant in life and most of all, democracy. The characters I have purchased from and communicated with has made this into a regular thing for me. As a newcomer, this is very interesting and waiting to see how it develops

:D

:popcorn:

Personally I'm fine with a committee for the HOS. Annual vote for the members and that's it. Make it an uneven number and you can still have a private poll. The problem with voting now is it's open to anyone including those with no board history. I understand they may have a general right/wrong belief system but with no board history the line for the PL and HOS becomes increasingly fuzzy.

I'm not that big on that because the process to vote people on to that committee is gonna end up being a popularity contest. This isn't life or death but there are way too many vocal people here that are vengeful, vindictictive sociopaths. I like those people to be out in the open for anyone paying attention to spot.

And quite honestly, who wants the responsibility? Clearly a public vote has issues but it will eliminate some obvious issues with an anonymous vote.

Have 12, like a jury. :idea:

Personally I'm fine with a committee for the HOS. Annual vote for the members and that's it. Make it an uneven number and you can still have a private poll. The problem with voting now is it's open to anyone including those with no board history. I understand they may have a general right/wrong belief system but with no board history the line for the PL and HOS becomes increasingly fuzzy.

I'm not that big on that because the process to vote people on to that committee is gonna end up being a popularity contest. This isn't life or death but there are way too many vocal people here that are vengeful, vindictictive sociopaths. I like those people to be out in the open for anyone paying attention to spot.

And quite honestly, who wants the responsibility? Clearly a public vote has issues but it will eliminate some obvious issues with an anonymous vote.

You can't think of anyone you'd nominate for the position because you respect their opinions? I don't think the boardies interested in being popular would be interested in being responsible. ;)

Have 12, like a jury. :idea:

It would seem appropriate to get to page 4 by responding to one of your posts. :cloud9:

You can't think of anyone you'd nominate for the position because you respect their opinions? I don't think the boardies interested in being popular would be interested in being responsible. ;)

+1 Most people wouldn't do that without pay lol And the ones that WOULD want to you would have to be suspicious of

Yes, those kind of responsibilities are often a one way ticket to unpopularity.

+1 Most people wouldn't do that without pay lol And the ones that WOULD want to you would have to be suspicious of

he he he On that note, I am going to bed. doh!

Of course I can but what about the usual suspects nominating their buddies?

And we all know stories about one guy or another that is revered on these boards that we wouldn't trust any further than we can spit. What happens when they are nominated by twelve of their buddies?

I realize that can be balanced out by getting reasonable members on there but I like a public vote before we went to a committee. Both are doable. Both are fraught with issues.