• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Sharon is right about having the book in hand prior to the sale, it would help to avoid certain situations like these.

The book turned out to have a flaw that was unknown to the buyer and seller alike. The seller assumed the flaw was something different. Once the book was in hand and the flaw became known the buyer should not have to complete the transaction.

My 2c

+1 (thumbs u

So what do we do? Does Bob just go on the PL unless he buys it? There's no vote for this, right? ???

I DO NOT THINK BOB SHOULD BE PUT ON THE PL. This is not his fault or Dan's fault. You too need to walk away before you forever hate each other.

+1 It's not worth getting bent out of shape. Seller keeps a beautiful book and buyer moves on.

No, this is my total honest opinion:

Bomber bob: You made a trade in which you knew you weren't coming out on top, but you wanted a nice book. You got buyers remorse on a book and tried to adjust the offer. For that you are at fault. Then you found out about the stain. That is neither of your fault's.

Spider Dan: You had a good thing coming. A sweet trade in which you came out on top. Then Bob wanted to adjust it to all cash, the same thing you would have originally accepted, but you got greedy and wanted the trade back. For this you are at fault. Then Bob found out about the stain. That is neither of your fault's.

You both made a mistake in the transaction, and there was an unfortunate problem with the stain. At this point it is best for both of you to totally walk away from this situation. It will only become a grudge you will both stew on. Shake hands and move on. A comic should never ruin a friendship.

Wanting to stick to YOUR offer makes ME greedy?? If I offered you $100 for one of your MOS 18's :baiting: you agree, then I decide I only want to pay $80. Does it make you "greedy" to want the $100 we agreed on??

That's crazy :screwy:

That was rather judgmental GIJOE (tsk)

But I will say FF#1 would make ME greedy :cloud9:

Edited by djpinkpanther67

I guess the pointed question is, do you plan on pursuing the PL route or if did you air this out to gauge the boards sentiment?

Clearly Bob has no intention of completing the transaction and you seem to be sticking to your guns.

Whoomp there it is

I'm sorry that 90's catch phrase was already used tonight.

You may choose an alternative from the following:

BAM!

SHAMA-LAMA-DING-DONG!!

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!

BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!!!

GAMEDAY BUCKET GO BOOM!!

I don't have time to go over your alien lingo. Now if you'll excuse me I have to start a Mortal Kombat/Tekken marathon... :P

I guess the pointed question is, do you plan on pursuing the PL route or if did you air this out to gauge the boards sentiment?

Clearly Bob has no intention of completing the transaction and you seem to be sticking to your guns.

Whoomp there it is

BAM!

SHAMA-LAMA-DING-DONG!!

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!

BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!!!

GAMEDAY BUCKET GO BOOM!!

I don't have time to go over your alien lingo. Now if you'll excuse me I have to start a Mortal Kombat/Tekken marathon... :P

ZING!!!

SHAZAM!!!

BAZINGA!!

Sharon is right about having the book in hand prior to the sale, it would help to avoid certain situations like these.

This right here. I just cannot understand how someone can make an agreement on a 16k book without seeing the final results. If you are too impatient to wait for the book to be in hand before you buy it then you should have to suck it up and stick with what you get.

This right here. At a minimum the pending graders notes should be attached to any offer of acceptance.

For 0.0009375 of the sale price for grader's notes and a few photos, you should be able to confirm the book. Or at a minimum the ability to return the book if not satisfied.

I would really love to see you both just walk away and call it a day.

I don't see any other reasonable solution here.

I would love to see Dan and Bob walk hand in hand over to CGC's offices and both get an explanation as to how a book with these notes...

Here are the grading notes:

Grader Notes: Spine Lite Wear Breaks Color

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Full Right Front Cover Small Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Front Cover Lite Wear

Right Bottom Back Cover Lite Smear

Center Front Cover Lite Crease Breaks Color

Left Bottom Whole Book Stain

...could ever possibly be in an 8.0 holder, or conversely how a book with no terribly noticeable stain could garner those harsh notes. It's stupid really. If that is how it is now then this...

punch15.jpg

...should now be in an equivalent numerical holder as it has a dime size light stain on the top back cover going through the pages.

That's a really nice book, Richard and purple too.

If the seller's description needs to be infinitely accurate, then all buyers will always have an out. Also, there is nothing in the rules about having to provide an accurate description of all flaws. All the rules say is "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books."

Dan shouldn't have said anything about that stain if he didn't have it in hand and didn't know what it was, but he didn't lie, and he didn't say it wasn't a stain. He said he thought it was the light.

I just want to re-post one of my early posts in this thread...

Bob seems like a nice guy, so I hate that it has to come to this. I don't do a lot of trading, and I was kind of enjoying it.

But their are consequences for our actions. If their weren't, people would back out all the time.

Dan, I find your answers very honest,you admitted that Bob's offer was a better deal than what you asked for originally and you admitted selling before you had the book back so you could maximize your profit. I applaud you for that.

However you must see that your actions also have consequences. You sold a book before you had it in hand, and before you had the graders notes. You made a statement about a "stain" that turned out to be in error.

So, I think there are errors on both sides.

Bob's error was making an offer of a trade to begin with. This is why I don't love trades, i'd always have traders regret.

However, I can absolutely see where his offer of cash should have solved the problem, he was offering full asking price. You on the other hand saw a better deal and you wanted that. The fact that you later would have accepted the full price (after getting the book back) just further muddies the waters.

The end part, the part with the stain, well that's more on you.

Sharon,

I agree with the majority of what you wrote save for what I bolded above. I think it should be clarified that Dan HAD a better deal already agreed to (the cash/trade) and he wanted that adhered to.

That's what she said. Re-read it. Wait. I re-read it. She was correct but not about the timeline. my bad.

A bit confused by your edit lol

Perhaps I am splitting hairs here but I'm not sure I agree with the "offer of 16k cash should have solved the problem". By doing so it would have been accepting a less favourable deal than was originally agreed to by both parties. As I understand it, Dan wanted the original cash/trade deal adhered to and I find absolutely no fault in that. Could he have accepted the entire cash deal? Sure, but that is his prerogative as the seller, especially since a deal had already been finalized.

Whoomp there it is

BAM!

SHAMA-LAMA-DING-DONG!!

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!!

BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!!!

GAMEDAY BUCKET GO BOOM!!

ZING!!!

SHAZAM!!!

BAZINGA!!

steve-urkel-did-i-do-that-676x540.png

"Boom goes the dynamite!" is my stupid phrase...

:taptaptap:

-slym

Would you accept either "I'm your Huckleberry!" or "Yippee-Kai-Yay MuthaSmucka!" in trade? :wishluck:

I would love to see Dan and Bob walk hand in hand over to CGC's offices and both get an explanation as to how a book with these notes...

Here are the grading notes:

Grader Notes: Spine Lite Wear Breaks Color

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Full Right Front Cover Small Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Front Cover Lite Wear

Right Bottom Back Cover Lite Smear

Center Front Cover Lite Crease Breaks Color

Left Bottom Whole Book Stain

...could ever possibly be in an 8.0 holder, or conversely how a book with no terribly noticeable stain could garner those harsh notes. It's stupid really. If that is how it is now then this...

punch15.jpg

...should now be in an equivalent numerical holder as it has a dime size light stain on the top back cover going through the pages.

That's a really nice book, Richard and purple too.

Posted just for you, Sha :foryou:

If the seller's description needs to be infinitely accurate, then all buyers will always have an out. Also, there is nothing in the rules about having to provide an accurate description of all flaws. All the rules say is "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books."

Dan shouldn't have said anything about that stain if he didn't have it in hand and didn't know what it was, but he didn't lie, and he didn't say it wasn't a stain. He said he thought it was the light.

It's a fine line. How about taking it to the opposite extreme. If the book was sold with front and back cover scans and came back from CGC with "Pages Missing" would you feel the same way? It doesn't matter whether the seller "thought" or "knew" it wasn't stained. What matters is that the book had a serious flaw (in the buyers opinion) that was not included in the books description.

I think the rules not mentioning the book be accurately described is a pedantic point.

Other than the typical spiral downward how is this going to play out.

Dan nominates Bob, Bob doesn't complete the transaction and .......?

I predict no one will be getting added to the PL over this. If I were Dan, I'd take the high road at this point. But of course, I could be wrong. There's a first time for everything...

"Boom goes the dynamite!" is my stupid phrase...

:taptaptap:

-slym

Would you accept either "I'm your Huckleberry!" or "Yippee-Kai-Yay MuthaSmucka!" in trade? :wishluck:

I would take two "Three snaps in a Z formation".

I just want to re-post one of my early posts in this thread...

Bob seems like a nice guy, so I hate that it has to come to this. I don't do a lot of trading, and I was kind of enjoying it.

But their are consequences for our actions. If their weren't, people would back out all the time.

Dan, I find your answers very honest,you admitted that Bob's offer was a better deal than what you asked for originally and you admitted selling before you had the book back so you could maximize your profit. I applaud you for that.

However you must see that your actions also have consequences. You sold a book before you had it in hand, and before you had the graders notes. You made a statement about a "stain" that turned out to be in error.

So, I think there are errors on both sides.

Bob's error was making an offer of a trade to begin with. This is why I don't love trades, i'd always have traders regret.

However, I can absolutely see where his offer of cash should have solved the problem, he was offering full asking price. You on the other hand saw a better deal and you wanted that. The fact that you later would have accepted the full price (after getting the book back) just further muddies the waters.

The end part, the part with the stain, well that's more on you.

Sharon,

I agree with the majority of what you wrote save for what I bolded above. I think it should be clarified that Dan HAD a better deal already agreed to (the cash/trade) and he wanted that adhered to.

That's what she said. Re-read it. Wait. I re-read it. She was correct but not about the timeline. my bad.

A bit confused by your edit lol

Perhaps I am splitting hairs here but I'm not sure I agree with the "offer of 16k cash should have solved the problem". By doing so it would have been accepting a less favourable deal than was originally agreed to by both parties. As I understand it, Dan wanted the original cash/trade deal adhered to and I find absolutely no fault in that. Could he have accepted the entire cash deal? Sure, but that is his prerogative as the seller, especially since a deal had already been finalized.

I was just going to say "that's what she said. Re-read it". But then I went back and re-read the timelines and statements. She was correct in her statement, but got the timeline of when the full cash option was back on the table incorrect.

It's a fine line. How about taking it to the opposite extreme. If the book was sold with front and back cover scans and came back from CGC with "Pages Missing" would you feel the same way? It doesn't matter whether the seller "thought" or "knew" it wasn't stained. What matters is that the book had a serious flaw (in the buyers opinion) that was not included in the books description.

I think the rules not mentioning the book be accurately described is a pedantic point.

lol That's not the situation. He was selling a CGC 8.0 Blue, not a raw comic that might have missing pages.

Other than the typical spiral downward how is this going to play out.

Dan nominates Bob, Bob doesn't complete the transaction and .......?

I predict no one will be getting added to the PL over this. If I were Dan, I'd take the high road at this point. But of course, I could be wrong. There's a first time for everything...

Tru Dat.

Oh and I agree

Dan definitely didn't lie. I agree. He gave his honest opinion. Which turned out to be wrong. That's the danger in offering opinions on factors that are important to people. There's a price for the information being ultimately incorrect.