• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

If the seller's description needs to be infinitely accurate, then all buyers will always have an out. Also, there is nothing in the rules about having to provide an accurate description of all flaws. All the rules say is "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books."

Dan shouldn't have said anything about that stain if he didn't have it in hand and didn't know what it was, but he didn't lie, and he didn't say it wasn't a stain. He said he thought it was the light.

It's a fine line. How about taking it to the opposite extreme. If the book was sold with front and back cover scans and came back from CGC with "Pages Missing" would you feel the same way? It doesn't matter whether the seller "thought" or "knew" it wasn't stained. What matters is that the book had a serious flaw (in the buyers opinion) that was not included in the books description.

I think the rules not mentioning the book be accurately described is a pedantic point.

lol That's not the situation. He was selling a CGC 8.0 Blue, not a raw comic that might have missing pages.

That's not relevant. A grade is just a number. It doesn't tell the whole story and what some see as a serious defect others might not.

"Boom goes the dynamite!" is my stupid phrase...

:taptaptap:

-slym

Would you accept either "I'm your Huckleberry!" or "Yippee-Kai-Yay MuthaSmucka!" in trade? :wishluck:

I would take two "Three snaps in a Z formation".

That's a tough one. It's been in my family for decades and I had planned on giving it to my grandkids.

If the seller's description needs to be infinitely accurate, then all buyers will always have an out. Also, there is nothing in the rules about having to provide an accurate description of all flaws. All the rules say is "List scans or information about the grade of the offered books."

Dan shouldn't have said anything about that stain if he didn't have it in hand and didn't know what it was, but he didn't lie, and he didn't say it wasn't a stain. He said he thought it was the light.

I think the spirit of the boards is to ensure that both parties are happy, not simply to lock one or both parties into a transaction. If I'm wrong please let me know. Because that is the spirit of the way I do business and I just need to know if I have to cover my with each and every one of you boardies who might use a turn of a phrase against me (which would be very ironic, all things considered).

I think the spirit of the boards is to ensure that both parties are happy, not simply to lock one or both parties into a transaction. If I'm wrong please let me know. Because that is the spirit of the way I do business and I just need to know if I have to cover my with each and every one of you boardies who might use a turn of a phrase against me (which would be very ironic, all things considered).

^^

Dan definitely didn't lie. I agree. He gave his honest opinion. Which turned out to be wrong. That's the danger in offering opinions on factors that are important to people. There's a price for the information being ultimately incorrect.

and to this point(s), is why having the book graded should eliminate the questions, it's unfortunate that the book graded hurt the seller, but helped the buyer in this case. So Sharon's point of waiting to have the book in hand makes sense for both buyers/sellers.

Edited by jsilverjanet

It's a fine line. How about taking it to the opposite extreme. If the book was sold with front and back cover scans and came back from CGC with "Pages Missing" would you feel the same way? It doesn't matter whether the seller "thought" or "knew" it wasn't stained. What matters is that the book had a serious flaw (in the buyers opinion) that was not included in the books description.

I think the rules not mentioning the book be accurately described is a pedantic point.

lol That's not the situation. He was selling a CGC 8.0 Blue, not a raw comic that might have missing pages.

That's not relevant. A grade is just a number. It doesn't tell the whole story and what some see as a serious defect others might not.

He's selling a CGC graded comic on CGC's site, the grade is king. And the rules stipulate info about grade and pics. And the accepted wisdom of the boards is that :takeit: is king. You said it's a fine line...the difference between this situation and a raw comic that could have pages missing is demarcated with a triple line drawn with the fattest of sharpies.

If, in this situation, there are other factors that you feel are more important, you should speak up before hand, with something like :takeit: pending graders' notes. I've never heard anyone suggest that all Board deals are pending graders' notes that meet a buyer's particular preferences.

The point of the PL is make sure that deals go down "right." The spirit of the Boards, from what I can tell, is to create as much chaos and rolling butthurt as possible. :ohnoez:

Richard,

You are wrong.

Oh, and :baiting:

^^

You've been here for 13 minutes, hush up. :foryou:

The point of the PL is make sure that deals go down "right." The spirit of the Boards, from what I can tell, is to create as much chaos and rolling butthurt as possible. :ohnoez:

And no sarcasm at all :grin:

^^

actually only 12.... :P

^^

I always knew that bouquet of flowers was meant to cram into someone's cram hole so their cram hole stops yammering.

So I am wondering why it's not a yam hole.

Dan definitely didn't lie. I agree. He gave his honest opinion. Which turned out to be wrong. That's the danger in offering opinions on factors that are important to people. There's a price for the information being ultimately incorrect.

Dan's been honest the whole time, I think they both have been.

I don't blame him for wanting the better deal. I don't blame Bob for not wanting a stain.

I may have to try buying a lottery ticket so I can try and buy Richard's book.

It's late.

Perhaps a good night's sleep would help.

Can we stick by the 72 hour rule even though they both answered?

Im going to sleep on it. I was hoping to hear from the buyer, but I haven't.

Unfortunately some of us have jobs other than comics, so Im gone

Thanks to everyone, for or against my submission, who got involved in this discussion.

Since everyone is curious - the cancelling of this transaction has me at a 3K+ loss

^^

I always knew that bouquet of flowers was meant to cram into someone's cram hole so their cram hole stops yammering.

So I am wondering why it's not a yam hole.

That's how I use 'em buddy (thumbs u

Oh...and Happy New Year.

He's selling a CGC graded comic on CGC's site, the grade is king. And the rules stipulate info about grade and pics. And the accepted wisdom of the boards is that :takeit: is king. You said it's a fine line...the difference between this situation and a raw comic that could have pages missing is demarcated with a triple line drawn with the fattest of sharpies.

If, in this situation, there are other factors that you feel are more important, you should speak up before hand, with something like :takeit: pending graders' notes. I've never heard anyone suggest that all Board deals are pending graders' notes that meet a buyer's particular preferences.

It's interesting that the guy who runs the coloring contest can only see in black and white. :kidaround:

OK, who kidnapped Dan?

Thanks to everyone, for or against my submission, who got involved in this discussion.

Since everyone is curious - the cancelling of this transaction has me at a 3K+ loss

How so?

It's interesting that the guy who runs the coloring contest can only see in black and white. :kidaround:

lol

How so?

Just by GPA values

His worth 18K - Mine worth 15K