• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

It's not illegal to ship comics via Media Mail.

:popcorn:

Here is my thoughts on this debate.

It is not worth making a point of standing up to the interpretation and execution of the code be it interpreted correctly or incorrectly by either the sender, recipient, or the USPS when you are dealing with other people's comic books.

If this is a fight I am willing to take on, then I should send my own books as trial packages back and forth to my mailing address until an incident occurs that allows me to challenge a ruling that is unfavorable toward me.

When I am shipping someone else's books that is not my fight and therefore I usually do not recommend media mail but will allow it if I am released from any responsibility if the package is opened and detained by the USPS.

I like priority.

It's just to send a slab media Mail though.

True.

Caught up with BTE yesterday. It was nice to see him in person. Been a couple of years.

:applause:

-slym

We're all getting old. I didn't recognize his wife, and she didn't recognize me.

Sure, it's been 11 years, but still....we almost drove to Mexico together!

:(

My personal favorite is:

"The piece will be shipped tomorrow, without fail.Please accept my sincerest apologies for the delay. Thank you for your patience, Evan O'Malley" -October 20th

Date media mail (FAIL!) package sent: October 24th. I guess "without fail" is subjective.

PS how much did he charge you for shipping?

Evan?I thought his name was Colin?

I have sent CopperAgeKids a PM about requesting he should be added to the probation list for the following reason:

On September 23, 2015 I purchased a slab from him on eBay. A tracking number was updated the same day. 9449009699938804728686

On October 11th I sent him this message thru eBay:

"Dear copperagekids,

What's going on with this book? A shipping label was printed a couple weeks ago, but tracking shows it never was shipped."

His response:

New message from: copperagekids (97Blue Star)

"My apologies for the delay, got slammed with overtime at work.The package will be shipped as soon as the post office open on Tuesday, the USPS is closed tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience"

On October 20th I open a request thru eBay asking for an update.

Seller's message:

"The piece will be shipped tomorrow, without fail.Please accept my sincerest apologies for the delay. Thank you for your patience, Evan O'Malley"

There still isn't any activity on the tracking number, and it has been over 30 days since purchasing the slab.

Did you get your books?

The tracking number shows it won't arrive until at least Saturday. Media mail cross country usually takes over a week for me.

It's been 30 days. Did you agree to a delay in shipping? Did you agree to Media Mail? You nominated him over 72 hours ago. I would say you're within your rights to have him added to the Probation List and if/when you receive the book, he can ask you to have him removed from the list. Thoughts?

[

just wanted to let Juan (and the rest of the board) know his xmen 268 2nd print 9.6 slab was just shipped.....and I included a raw NM copy of the 1st print of #268, in a mylite 2 standard/full back combo, sheathed in a silver/gold mylite2 and full back combo....as proof positive of just how tightly and anal retentively amy shipping methods are ...hah ;).....

:whistle:

I have sent CopperAgeKids a PM about requesting he should be added to the probation list for the following reason:

On September 23, 2015 I purchased a slab from him on eBay. A tracking number was updated the same day. 9449009699938804728686

"Dear copperagekids,

What's going on with this book? A shipping label was printed a couple weeks ago, but tracking shows it never was shipped."

His response:

"My apologies for the delay, got slammed with overtime at work.The package will be shipped as soon as the post office open on Tuesday, the USPS is closed tomorrow.

Seller's message:

"The piece will be shipped tomorrow, without fail.Please accept my sincerest apologies for the delay. Thank you for your patience, Evan O'Malley"

There still isn't any activity on the tracking number, and it has been over 30 days since purchasing the slab.

Did you get your books?

The tracking number shows it won't arrive until at least Saturday. Media mail cross country usually takes over a week for me.

It's been 30 days. Did you agree to a delay in shipping? Did you agree to Media Mail? You nominated him over 72 hours ago. I would say you're within your rights to have him added to the Probation List and if/when you receive the book, he can ask you to have him removed from the list. Thoughts?

When I purchased the slab the listing showed that it was Free Economy Shipping. Did he have an option for Priority shipping as he does in some of his other items? IDK, I didn't pay attention. It probably wouldn't have made a difference on the long delay.

The only thing that got him motivated was the threat of being on the Probation list. I'm ok with either waiting till my package arrives, or adding him now. Rules are rules tho.

Improper....in violation of USPS Rules and Regulations, a Federal Entity.

And under Federal USPS law, attempting to deprive the USPS of proper postage is considered fraud and actionable. It takes a pattern to become prosecuted but that doesn't make it any less

Not sure of the relevance of the distinction in this context and amidst the fact pattern in which we are discussing a seller's failure to ship timely and then when shipping to exacerbate his delay by choosing the least proper and slowest method.

"Dear copperagekids,

His response:

Seller's message:

Did you get your books?

If you read the posts back and forth and the original summary he never agreed to a month.

I know. ;)

I wanted to know what the OP wanted to do as far as the PL nomination.

Maybe CopperAgeKids has some helpful tips on that topic.

I'm gonna throw in the fact that since I live right by there, the Jersey City sorting facility is known for heavy inspection of Media Mail, so couple that with the fact that it has been sitting there for 3 days now, there is a pretty good chance that the book gets snagged for improper shipping (though I hope I am wrong, for the buyers sake)

I thought forum rules for seller here is 30 days after pay. If it is an Ebay transaction, why bring it here? You don't like the slow shipping or method of Free shipping, then deal with it through Ebay? If any problems with the package or Post Office then grade/leave feedback for the seller accordingly when you receive the book, not happy then return. 'Things happen that caused delay" that given out by many people here when a buyer complained about delay of shipping from sellers at the forum and got blasted for being unreasonable. For the nominee of this case, not worth the time, not like he switched books or doing other crazy things.

I thought forum rules for seller here is 30 days after pay. If it is an Ebay transaction, why bring it here? You don't like the slow shipping or method of Free shipping, then deal with it through Ebay? If any problems with the package or Post Office then grade/leave feedback for the seller accordingly when you receive the book, not happy then return. 'Things happen that caused delay" that given out by many people here when a buyer complained about delay of shipping from sellers at the forum and got blasted for being unreasonable. For the nominee of this case, not worth the time, not like he switched books or doing other crazy things.

You should read Rule 1D:

A Transaction between board members is not confined to the CGC Message Boards. Any transaction between forum members, regardless of the venue, is eligible for inclusion in the PL.

Improper....in violation of USPS Rules and Regulations, a Federal Entity.

The governing document of the USPS is the Domestic Mail Manual. According to the DMM, comics aren't excluded. Advertising is excluded. Expired advertising is no longer advertising; it is reference material.

If I can't buy 7 giant dinosaurs for $1.00 from "Dept B3511" in NY, then there's nothing being advertised, and it's no longer an ad.

And the point and spirit of the restriction is clear: "Periodicals" is a special class of mail, with its own rates and programs. Here's the definition:

"The Periodicals class of mail is designed for newspapers, magazines, and other periodical publications whose primary purpose is transmitting information to an established list of subscribers or requesters. Periodicals must be published at regular intervals, at least four times a year from a known office of publication, and be formed of printed sheets. There are specific standards for circulation, record keeping, and advertising limits."

That function was fulfilled when the books were originally sent out to subscribers...that is, new comics, created and sent by the publisher of that material.

And since periodicals are (generally) paid for with advertising, that's part of the reason why they have their own separate category.

But people who ship back issues, one to another, are not fulfilling the role of the publisher, and sending out "periodicals" (that is, appearing on a regular interval) to "subscribers or requesters."

They have become second-hand, used material...and that's precisely what used to be 4th class, then book rate, now Media Mail, was made for.

"But, some of those ads are still valid!" Fine, some of them are. But the vast majority are not, and weren't intended to last indefinitely. And if the ad is expired, and is no longer advertising anything (even for products that may still exist), it's no longer an ad...it's reference material.

Yes, I'm well aware that someone at the USPS put a "comics are excluded" note on the website.

The website doesn't determine the regulations and procedures of the USPS. The DMM does. And if it's not in the DMM, it has no regulatory weight.

If gov't can work AGAINST us, gov't can certainly be made to work FOR us.

wildly_fanciful_statement. You continually pimp yourself on here as the world's greatest grader, shipper etc. constantly breaking rules in sales threads, replying to WTBs with irrelevant info. And now you have the gall to say he got a good price and so 30 days is ok to wait. Seriously, WTF man?

I am officially calling BS and declaring shenanigans.

You guys are completely right. I should have shipped the books out weeks ago, and a lot of things have kept me from doing it, but it's still my responsibility to get it done. These books will go out tomorrow morning, and I'm going to to my level best to improve my transactions in the future.

I apologize that it got this far.

Went ahead and fixed that for you.

Yes, thank you....that should have been my response.

I'll respond to the other comments when I get home....just wanted to let Juan (and the rest of the board) know his xmen 268 2nd print 9.6 slab was just shipped.....and I included a raw NM copy of the 1st print of #268, in a mylite 2 standard/full back combo, sheathed in a silver/gold mylite2 and full back combo....as proof positive of just how tightly and anal retentively amy shipping methods are ...hah ;).....but mostly, as my way of apologizing and trying to make amends :)

Jimbo's RAK will be shipped Monday on my lunch break, gotta dig thru some boxes today when I get home to find at least a couple other cool SA/BA mags to hook him up with.....and if I'm going to ship out to Canada, it should be for a handful of books, not just a single mag. :)

So you demonstrate your "tight and anal rententive" shipping methods by IMPROPERLY shipping a slab using media mail, potentially sticking the buyer with a penalty if the package is inspected...all after delaying shipping for a month to begin with?

Sometimes I think the entirety of your board membership is one, long, extended trolling session.

I am having a hard time believing anyone could be this fricken clueless. Honestly.

You are officially banned from giving anyone advice, unless it's advice on how to NOT follow board selling rules and how NOT to make amends when you screw up.

So very well said. The trolling is as relentless as the absurdly innapropriate posts.

In no way am I buying any sort of clueless aspect.