• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

What makes it particularly piquant is that it conflates exclusivity with a creator (which is what was being discussed) and exclusivity with a facilitator. (I call that the "old switcheroo")

Trying to get a facilitator to take only your books is not something I have ever thought of, let alone tried. I have never had enough volume to even think about it. One time when I did a 30-40 book submission with Kris Moore, he was kind enough to let me know that I had covered his flight and hotel room. That made me feel good.

So are we talking about something like this?

1. A facilitator is doing a signing with a (probably rare) creator, lets say Mark Twain. Because that facilitator doesn't like me, he doesn't take my books or money, and now I have no way of getting my books signed.

2. A facilitator is doing a signing with a (probably rare) creator, lets say Mark Twain. I have 200 books for him to sign, and I want to buy out all the spots so I'll have the market cornered, so I make a special deal with the facilitator.

Are we asking if one or both of these are ethical or allowable or possibly probation worth? Or talking about something else completely?

What makes it particularly piquant is that it conflates exclusivity with a creator (which is what was being discussed) and exclusivity with a facilitator. (I call that the "old switcheroo")

Trying to get a facilitator to take only your books is not something I have ever thought of, let alone tried. I have never had enough volume to even think about it. One time when I did a 30-40 book submission with Kris Moore, he was kind enough to let me know that I had covered his flight and hotel room. That made me feel good.

In some cases it is mutually beneficial. In the case of SDCC a facilitator gets a CAW for every 200 books. Supplying 400 "easy" books for 2 CAWS allows for a couple specialty books and a lower rate. The Facilitator then has 2 CAWS to deal with the SDCC celebrity opps.

I don't know now. 1 and 2 sound similar to me and can't say I've tried either one. (shrug)

People talk. I have a reliable source that says you're a knob of biblical proportions.

1. A facilitator is doing a signing with a (probably rare) creator, lets say Mark Twain. Because that facilitator doesn't like me, he doesn't take my books or money, and now I have no way of getting my books signed.

2. A facilitator is doing a signing with a (probably rare) creator, lets say Mark Twain. I have 200 books for him to sign, and I want to buy out all the spots so I'll have the market cornered, so I make a special deal with the facilitator.

Are we asking if one or both of these are ethical or allowable or possibly probation worth? Or talking about something else completely?

1. I wouldn't think so. When those get set up, the facilitator can get all of them done for himself, offer them to his cabal of minions, or make a public solicitation, however he wants to do it. There has been a tremendous amount of butthurt, sturm und drang, and gnashing of teeth over the years as it relates to these, but because the facilitator has total control, you can't really complain. What was being discussed was public signings.

2. This seems to be what JDUB was intimating JB was doing, but I doubt it was mark Twain, it was probably Brian K. Vaughan.

1. I wouldn't think so. When those get set up, the facilitator can get all of them done for himself, offer them to his cabal of minions, or make a public solicitation, however he wants to do it. There has been a tremendous amount of butthurt, sturm und drang, and gnashing of teeth over the years as it relates to these, but because the facilitator has total control, you can't really complain. What was being discussed was public signings.

2. This seems to be what JDUB was intimating JB was doing, but I doubt it was mark Twain, it was probably Brian K. Vaughan.

I'm not sure if its good or bad, but I'm pretty sure its not a discussion for a probation list...unless someone reneged on a deal or lied or broke some other specifically laid out rule. Its probably more for the general. Or is there some actual transgression committed? Other than potentially being a 'spoon' about stuff?