• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I don't think the issue for Roy is PL, its more why would someone you are in a contract with for ongoing business not answer your PMs about that business? I would wonder the same thing. It is a bit odd. 2c

I am curious how to handle this is a PL offense as we're nearly at one month with no communication from the buyer, and although money has not started to change hands (it was due anytime now) it's starting to look like the seller has no intention of following through.

3 unanswered messages over 4 weeks is a pretty strong signal to send.

If you agreed to time payments and the time period hasn't even started yet, you can't put him on the PL. You can certainly get your Spidey Sense tingling though. :foryou:

I guess I'm just annoyed that he's strong me along for a month and I have to wait another before nominating.

:facepalm:

I bet if you outed them it would def not help their case for the next month buying books.

I was just informed a birdy told me that the post office left a box on my front steps. :banana:

I guess I'm just annoyed that he's strong me along for a month and I have to wait another before nominating.

Why do you have to wait another month? Terms specified when payment was to be made. There's no automatic grace period, is there?

Why do you have to wait another month? Terms specified when payment was to be made. There's no automatic grace period, is there?

Because the deal was struck a month ago but the first payment was actually supposed to be within the next week or so.

Kind of an unusual situation and looking for input.

I had a guy agree to purchase a book a few weeks ago but time payments were requested and they were to start in about a month from the time that the agreement was made, so about mid November.

After 3 follow up emails over a period of nearly 4 weeks to confirm that time payments were going to start mid November I haven't heard back (PMs have all been read, board member is posting fairly regularly, none have been replied to). I have sent one last email tonight to see if the boardie plans on following through with the transaction. So far I have heard nada.

Now, I realize that officially time payments weren't to start until about now (a month after the agreement was struck) but does anyone else think it odd that I haven't heard a word back?

Thoughts?

So, would it be in the best interest of a time payment situation to ask for a nominal down payment to "seal the deal"? I would be frustrated too; tying up stock for a month, then having to wait another month to put someone on the PL.

I figured it was a boardie in decent standing (he's bought a few books) and didn't think it was necessary. Might be a good idea for the future regardless of the buyer's rep.

Why don't you just sell the book and get on with your life?

Oh...because that would be too easy and make perfect sense in today's age.

Its probably a big $$$ book and finding a new buyer in todays market would take some time - so I can understand Roys position.

VintageComics - have you sent PM's requesting payments that have gone read and unanswered? or have PM's been sent to the buyer gone unread? I know you talked about e-mails, but this would be an easy way to see if you're being ignored.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any sense to sell the book to someone else BEFORE the first agreed upon payment date. The buyer doesn't owe anyone any communication (although it'd be nice), just the payments on specific dates.

You could mind your own business and get on with yours. Too easy?

isn't that the opposite of this threads purpose?

Brock has a point - that's pretty much what I do in situations (just sell the book and move on), however I do think it's important to talk about this stuff, because it allows us to change our sales policies to protect ourselves within the rules of the PL.

isn't that the opposite of this threads purpose?

True enough.

Point is, no one here can force anyone to do something they ultimately decide not to do. If someone says I'll buy your book then changes their minds, then tango sierra.

It's fine come in and "discuss" it but at the end of the day, you have the book and you're not out any cash, maybe a bit of time.

:news: That's called life...if people want to come in and whine about it, then so be it. You're wasting time crying over spilled milk when you could be out trying to market the book.

Just out the boardie who didn't complete the sale and move on. The PL is weak and has no teeth. I suspect most sellers could care less and will sell to PL people if they pay. Business is business.

thanks for the insightful advice noob

From what I've read over the years, you need all the advice you can get.

Thank you.

Brock, sometimes I wonder why you even bother posting. If you don't like the conversation just ignore and leave.

There's several reasons why I started this thread, this is one of them.

however I do think it's important to talk about this stuff, because it allows us to change our sales policies to protect ourselves within the rules of the PL.

This is another one.

Its probably a big $$$ book and finding a new buyer in todays market would take some time - so I can understand Roys position.

It's not that the book is all that much in the grand scheme of things (although it is expensive by anybody's standards), it's that it is a less common but specialized book that I turned away several potential buyers on when I thought we had a deal. Getting those other buyers interested in the book again can be challenging, especially once they've moved on to something else.

Finally, it's just the principle of it.

VintageComics - have you sent PM's requesting payments that have gone read and unanswered? or have PM's been sent to the buyer gone unread? I know you talked about e-mails, but this would be an easy way to see if you're being ignored.

All communication was done through PM and was marked as read, except for the last (4th) one I sent last night.

Kind of an unusual situation and looking for input.

I had a guy agree to purchase a book a few weeks ago but time payments were requested and they were to start in about a month from the time that the agreement was made, so about mid November.

After 3 follow up emails over a period of nearly 4 weeks to confirm that time payments were going to start mid November I haven't heard back (PMs have all been read, board member is posting fairly regularly, none have been replied to). I have sent one last email tonight to see if the boardie plans on following through with the transaction. So far I have heard nada.

Now, I realize that officially time payments weren't to start until about now (a month after the agreement was struck) but does anyone else think it odd that I haven't heard a word back?

Thoughts?

So, would it be in the best interest of a time payment situation to ask for a nominal down payment to "seal the deal"? I would be frustrated too; tying up stock for a month, then having to wait another month to put someone on the PL.

I know Roy doesn't appear to be heading down a PL nomination but if you were, does the clock start ticking when the first payment is due or when the deal was struck?

Conversely let's say you sell the book now to someone else and original supposed buyer then sends payment within the time frame, does that put the seller at risk of PL nomination?

Really just curious.

BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

-slym