• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

There's much more to this story than what has been posted. I for one feel like I've been taken to the cleaners but I'm waiting to hear back from the seller before any further action is taken. The OP is the first to speak up publicly about what has been going on and for that I thank you.

Hopefully Jason will do what he's always done and make things right.

I don't however think broken promises are probation worthy, the original MB's purchased for the most part I believe have been shipped. The value of said MB's is an entire different story.

Maybe this talk here will get Jason to move things along a little bit quicker.

This was the first MB I've ever purchased, I only did so due to Jason's track record., This will be my last...

I bought a mystery box before from Jason and I was happy. Did I expect to get a huge windfall from it - no. I figured most of the books, as it ended up being, would be filler. But I did get several great books I normally wouldn't have purchased on my own and it was well worth the cost of admission. I had 1) the excitement of opening the box and seeing what was inside and 2) the contents which were worth more than I paid. Some you "win" and some you "lose". I'm sorry you didn't get the golden ticket. Maybe Mr. Wonka will refund your money? :sorry:

Not sure if you're talking to me Justin but I wasn't looking for a golden ticket.

Believe me the books I received didn't come close to what I paid.

If you would of been a part of the private group PM you would understand what we are saying about broken promises.

But your entitled to your own opinion.

I think like I have stated before END the mystery boxes and this problem is solved. This type of problem is why.

How long are the MODS going to allow this continue in any form. I don't care about how great a deal one guy got. You are just lucky you didn't get hosed.

I know the seller is sincere and it sounds like he bit off more then he can chew finally. I think he tried to do the best he could.

Mods just end the Mystery boxes completely before it gets worse. Its only a matter of time. This is just a light blemish of a problem. End them before it gets worse. (Currently only a blemish apparently it might get worse.)

I had thought that Mystery boxes were ended also, when they ruled against raffles. If you look at Diaolos' original post above, it does appear that this was run via group PM because the Mods kept deleting the thread. Do I understand that correctly?

When a thread gets deleted by the Mods five times and someone chooses to ignore that and jump in on a PM.

All I can say is tough mess

Not sure what you mean by that.

The boardies involved in the PM are from the original thread for the most part.

The PM was created by Jason

I think like I have stated before END the mystery boxes and this problem is solved. This type of problem is why.

How long are the MODS going to allow this continue in any form. I don't care about how great a deal one guy got. You are just lucky you didn't get hosed.

I know the seller is sincere and it sounds like he bit off more then he can chew finally. I think he tried to do the best he could.

Mods just end the Mystery boxes completely before it gets worse. Its only a matter of time. This is just a light blemish of a problem. End them before it gets worse. (Currently only a blemish apparently it might get worse.)

I had thought that Mystery boxes were ended also, when they ruled against raffles. If you look at Diaolos' original post above, it does appear that this was run via group PM because the Mods kept deleting the thread. Do I understand that correctly?

Nope his thread is till active in the modern section

Just so all is clear.

The PM started by Jason was to the original few boardies who purchased first.

It's intent was for information purposes and possibly a few promotions due to our early purchases.

Some you "win" and some you "lose".

This is the essence of why mystery box sales are untenable. In order for the seller to make the concept workable he'll have to create enough winner boxes to appease the buyers but will have to balance that value with loser boxes. It is those who get screwed in the deal that are going to come into this thread and complain, and the administrators of this site should spare themselves the headache by disallowing them completely. A successful sales thread is when the seller and all buyers are satisfied, not just those that "won".

And who the heck is throwing $1500 at a mystery box? That's just bananas.

That is pretty crazy. If I am spending that much money, I want it to be for the perfect book that fits into my collection focus.

I have purchased a mystery box from Comical Gems and won one of the grand prizes of an X-Factor 6 9.8 and he shipped it quickly and as promised. I also have purchased an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.8 from him with equally great results. If things went wrong, I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he just messed up or got in over his head. He is the type that I think will make things right with those that are not happy.

While it doesn't seem like this is probation worthy, it is also understandable that if people were promised something, even free, they expect to get it. The free stuff is kind of a hook for some people to buy the boxes in the first place so I guess an argument could possibly be made of being duped. Again though, I hope and think he will make it right.

I am one of the PM group and although this round of mystery boxes is not Probation List worthy it appears several if not most of the people involved have contact Jason about the quality of the mystery boxes. I have contact Jason about my box and we will hopefully work something out because I am not pleased.

Not sure if you're talking to me Justin but I wasn't looking for a golden ticket.

If you would of been a part of the private group PM you would understand what we are saying about broken promises.

Not at all. I replied before I saw your post. I was speaking in general.

I was saying a Mystery Box is just that - a Box...and the contents are a mystery! :idea:

In the end some will hit a homerun and get an ASM300 or NM98 or whatever else is thrown in but many will get decent, not amazingly great boxes, worth around the purchase price.

Do people that purchase mystery boxes believe that the are guaranteed an ASM300? Do you think Jason would be able to sell at a profit or even break even if that was th case?

Basically anticipate breaking even and nothing more and maybe you'll be presently surprised. I think the problem is when people place unrealistic expectations on a mystery box purchase that they WILL hit a homerun and not may. 2c

Couldn't agree with you more.

If I received something above and beyond the purchase prize than WIN!

BUT I at least expect the books received to be equal to the purchase price.

I was saying a Mystery Box is just that - a Box...and the contents are a mystery! :idea:

In the end some will hit a homerun and get an ASM300 or NM98 or whatever else is thrown in but many will get decent, not amazingly great boxes, worth around the purchase price.

Do people that purchase mystery boxes believe that the are guaranteed an ASM300? Do you think Jason would be able to sell at a profit or even break even if that was th case?

Basically anticipate breaking even and nothing more and maybe you'll be presently surprised. I think the problem is when people place unrealistic expectations on a mystery box purchase that they WILL hit a homerun and not may. 2c

When I bought my MB, Jason had listed the contents of what each box contained. Mine included a $25 itunes card, Asm 252, and the rest of the stuff would equal all up to $150. I feel that it didn't, was a lot of bronze drek. I am not mad at him, 1) It was fun to see what I got 2) I was content with the MB cause there were comics in them and I like comics. His new MB thread, doesn't really show what may be in each MB.

It just gives the board itself the wrong reputation in general I think. I will freely admit I am biased and I never wanted this on our board at all. Let them go back to Facebook and Ebay where they belong. Id like to think as a board we have a higher reputation to maintain.

Some you "win" and some you "lose".

This is the essence of why mystery box sales are untenable. In order for the seller to make the concept workable he'll have to create enough winner boxes to appease the buyers but will have to balance that value with loser boxes. It is those who get screwed in the deal that are going to come into this thread and complain, and the administrators of this site should spare themselves the headache by disallowing them completely. A successful sales thread is when the seller and all buyers are satisfied, not just those that "won".

eBay had so many problems with them that they forbid them way back in June of 2008 .