• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

My first buyer complaint in over a decade.

Fan Boy purchased 2 comics from me at the end of May. Total with shipping is $28.

He is not responding to my multiple PM's although they are being read. It is now 6 weeks later and I would like him to be placed on the probation list so other sellers can be warned. Thank you.

Sadly, I am going to nominate mscm34 for the probation list.

We had a very nice transaction in April and had spoken in PM a few times. I knew he was a grad student.

On 5/23 he had a sales thread stating that he needed plane fare in order to return home for his grandmother's funeral. I saw the thread on 5/27 and there was nothing I needed from it, but he had mentioned some Dells to me on 5/8 and asked if I wanted to buy some, so I asked him about those.

We made a deal for 12 Four Colors, plus some bonus kids books for $90 plus $7.99 shipping. I sent him a personal payment of $100 (since he needed the funds for the ticket home I didn't want to cost him the fees), I'm putting a sign on my bathroom mirror not to do that again, once was dumb, twice was very dumb.

Anyway, I told him he could send them when he got backfrom the funeral (I knew he was rushing).

On 6/14, he pmed me and said that he was back, some other very nice stuff about how he "owed me" and that he needed a day or two but would get my books sent that week. I told him to settle in and mail them. I did not hear back from him again, nor did I get the books.

On 6/21 I noticed that he had been running a sales thread, so I pmed him and asked if he sent my package. No response, the thread has been unread ever since 6/14.

I emailed the address he had on PP on 6/21, no response.

On 6/29 after receiving no response to anything, I contacted a person he had used as a reference in the first transaction, he had not heard from him either. I googled his real name and address to see if there was some kind of reported accident. I saw nothing.

Also on 6/29 I sent mscm34 a separate PM with probation list in the title and I told him that if I didn't get a refund or a tracking number in 3 days I was going to have no choice, but to put him on the probation list. No answer.

On 7/4 another boarder who had been having a problem with this same seller, posted that he got a full refund, so I bumped both pms and decided to give it another week and see if I heard back.

Sadly, I have not.

I'm really surprised about not hearing from this boarder, he really sounded like a stand up person, but since he never even responded to me, even though he's obviously not dead since he paid back the other person, I don't want someone else to get stuck, so I am posting as a warning, and I'd like to put him on the list if there are no objections.

Edited by skypinkblu

He seemed likeable in-between. He actually pmed me asking what to do with John's issue when it first occurred, I believed he was genuinely upset, at least he seemed to be...and he did agree to refund. That was way before John posted.

I guess I just do not understand some people anymore. This is the 2nd time I've bought something to help someone out and I didn't get it. There is some other stuff going on with slow shipping, on a third issue, but that's not something that I'd put here.

All the people I tried to help (AjaxFarrel) and mscm34) and the 3rd very slow shipper, are people I'd done business with before and they were great in the past.

Maybe it's evil gremlins from outer space. :shrug:

I think a growing number of people have observed the overwhelming acts of generosity displayed on the boards and used it to their advantage.

You almost have to just completely ignore the sob stories in sales threads.

Well, in the 3rd instance, I used regular PP and they refunded when I didn't get the items after 60 days, then I got half of them, so I repaid the person for what I actually received...I think people must figure that with personal PP they have no responsibility.

It's not like I've never dealt with people before, and I used to interview people who had a vested interest in making up stuff, but I guess I'm letting my compassion for people here, rule my brain, I'm going to have to stop.

That makes me sad, I want to be able to help people out if I can.

Anyway, I'd avoid making any deals with Michael (mscm34) he's obvoiusly not in a coma, since he did send a refund to someone else, and that was the only valid excuse I could come up with on my own.

Fan Boy purchased 2 comics from me at the end of May. Total with shipping is $28.

He is not responding to my multiple PM's although they are being read. It is now 6 weeks later and I would like him to be placed on the probation list so other sellers can be warned. Thank you.

send him a separate PM warning that you are nominating him for the PL. if he doesn't square things in 3 days, on he goes.

Thanks, Hector, I'll survive, but I don't want someone else to get stuck. I know people asked me in pms before who it was and I didn't answer, but I promised I would post if I needed to, so I did.

Just wanted to wait till I was certain that I was not hearing back, because it upsets me to have to post, much more than the money upsets me..

The number of people on these lists compared to the genuinely nice honest souls is very small. We just see the list people in our faces here, so it seems huge, Junk Donkey had a point, this list is depressing, but it's necessary.

Thanks, Hector, I'll survive, but I don't want someone else to get stuck. I know people asked me in pms before who it was and I didn't answer, but I promised I would post if I needed to, so I did.

Just wanted to wait till I was certain that I was not hearing back, because it upsets me to have to post, much more than the money upsets me..

The number of people on these lists compared to the genuinely nice honest souls is very small. We just see the list people in our faces here, so it seems huge, Junk Donkey had a point, this list is depressing, but it's necessary.

Wait, we have to be nice, honest, and have souls? Not being too demanding, are we?

Actually, scamming money from someone with a story about needing plane fare to get to your grandmother's funeral is about as low as it gets. :(

He paid, back to 100% with no buyer problems in over a decade selling here.

I think a growing number of people have observed the overwhelming acts of generosity displayed on the boards and used it to their advantage.

Yeah this :censored: me off too because it usually for a very good cause.

It just reminds me of some of the people in this hobby will never change.

I think you mean that 'people' will never change. Sometimes some of us like to believe we're somehow 'better' than the rest of the unwashed masses, but in reality we're just a cross section of the population who's hobby (and occasionally business) is related to comics. Doesn't make us any better or any worse, so its full of good people with a few rotten apples looking to take advantage, just like the rest of the world. Not that we shouldn't hold ourselves to a higher standard, if possible, we should. But we should also recognize that we will never be free of that element. Put your hope in a better world, not a perfect world, and act accordingly.

Wait, we have to be nice, honest, and have souls? Not being too demanding, are we?

Actually, scamming money from someone with a story about needing plane fare to get to your grandmother's funeral is about as low as it gets. :(

It's almost as bad as the guy that faked his father's death to get out of shipping some comics. Almost.