• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Im not sure what the big deal is. I probably wouldn't have handled it exactly the same but I'm never happy to receive overgraded books. Regardless of circumstance.

None of us are sure if they were overgraded or not... just seems like there should be some leniency when generosity is concerned. (shrug)

2c and only 2c

Im not sure what the big deal is. I probably wouldn't have handled it exactly the same but I'm never happy to receive overgraded books. Regardless of circumstance.

None of us are sure if they were overgraded or not... just seems like there should be some leniency when generosity is concerned. (shrug)

2c and only 2c

True, when you get into a "for the benefit of a boardie in trouble" thing, where the seller isn't making a dime off the sale, offering the books for huge discount under guide (even at the lowered grade) sometimes everyone has to remember what the point of the thread was.

It wasn't to make money for anyone but the boardie in trouble, and everyone is there either donating books worth cash, or donating cash worth, well....cash in exchange for some books.

Everyone, presumably was there for the right reasons, to do the right thing.

Almost the identical scenario happened to me with one of these benefit threads. Books were 1/2 of guide, I took them, got them and they were slightly below what I would grade them at.

Instead of them being 1/2 off guide, it wound up being more like 35% off guide. It was still a good deal in a regular transaction. In a charity situations I still got nice books, albeit at not at as nice a deal, and the boardie in trouble got the cash they needed. The goal of the thread, for me, was not my personal gain so as long as it wasn't a complete rip off with coverless books for thousands of dollars I wasn't about to change the focus of the transaction to me.

It was an honest error by the seller. The 9.2 was a 9.0, the 9.4 was a 9.2, hardly worth undoing a good deed, for me at least. I was still way ahead on the deal, even at the lower grades and the boardie got the cash he was desperate for.

I guess there's a balance of motivations and desires that needs to be met somewhere in there.

I also meant to say that I've known Mike for a long time, he's as honest as they come. There probably isn't a more active boardie when it comes to uncovering the bad guys and helping when there's bad stuff afoot.

I don't think he had any ill intentions in this deal and if he said the books were over graded in his opinion he really believes that.

The deal didn't wrap up the way I would have wrapped it up, or the way I would have wanted in this situation, but I have no doubt that Mike wasn't trying to do anything wrong and was really unhappy with the books.

2c and only 2c

I dont disagree with any of this. I just dont think its that big of a deal to tell the seller/donator that you disagree with their grades. I probably wouldnt do it, but im not going to chastise someone else for it either.

Kudos to Beau in the end. Doing something for a good cause and making sure the buyer was happy. But from your original call out post you clearly let scmitty get to you :baiting:

I also meant to say that I've know Mike for a long time, he's as honest as they come. There probably isn't a more active boardie when it comes to uncovering the bad guys and helping when there's bad stuff afoot.

I don't think he had any ill intentions in this deal and if he said the books were over graded in his opinion he really believes that.

The deal didn't wrap up the way I would have wrapped it up, or the way I would have wanted in this situation, but I have no doubt that Mike wasn't trying to do anything wrong and was really unhappy with the books.

Reasonable, thoughtful posts that you can't really argue with. :cloud9:

2c and only 2c

I dont disagree with any of this. I just dont think its that big of a deal to tell the seller/donator that you disagree with their grades. I probably wouldnt do it, but im not going to chastise someone else for it either.

Kudos to Beau in the end. Doing something for a good cause and making sure the buyer was happy. But from your original call out post you clearly let scmitty get to you :baiting:

Are you fellas friends again? :tongue:

I also meant to say that I've know Mike for a long time, he's as honest as they come. There probably isn't a more active boardie when it comes to uncovering the bad guys and helping when there's bad stuff afoot.

Reasonable, thoughtful posts that you can't really argue with. :cloud9:

+1

The books were listed as being 9.4 and 9.6 - both of them were, in fact, around an 8.5.

I politely PM'ed Beau, told him I disagreed with the assigned grade and asked whether I could send them back for a refund - he replied by saying that if they really were 8.5s, it wasn't worth it, and he would just refund me the money & let me keep the books.

I told him it wasn't a problem to send the books back - he insisted that I keep them.

Once I received Beau's refund, I shot Julio a $50 donation directly.

And, hey Beau, I actually also donated to your charity auction when you were in trouble - thanks for paying me back this way :applause:

Hey man, I don't bear you any real enmity; that's why I changed the amount of money in my OP...I thought that would be enough to derail the board detectives. I was mistaken.

That was great of you to shoot Julio an additional $50. However, I don't know if you knew this, but Julio already had the money you paid for those books, and I wasn't about to ask him for the money back. The refund (and original postage) came out of my exceedingly empty pockets. I was seriously counting every penny those days. After my charity auction went down, 90% of the money immediately went to seriously overdue bills, and the rest was quickly gone as well, doing things like going to the dentist to take care of a cavity that had been bothering me for a year. At any rate, I honestly couldn't afford the return postage for those books. Seven bucks may not seem like a lot to most here, but when you've got no money coming in whatsoever, $7 buys a lot of Top Ramen.

I think I've got a positive solution for this dilemma. Next time there's a charity auction, put those books up for sale. I'll pay the shipping. That way those books can help out two different people in need.

I think I've got a positive solution for this dilemma. Next time there's a charity auction, put those books up for sale. I'll pay the shipping. That way those books can help out two different people in need.

:applause: Cool.

...Mschmidt, what is your return policy? :taptaptap:

I always thought for a benefit auction a buyer should overpay for a comic that way the beneficiary benefits from funds from the seller and the buyer of a comic.

It seems strange to me that a buyer in such an auction would make money out of anothers charitable contribution and the beneficiary's difficulties.

Glad to see that mschmidt made a $50 contribution.

Edited by 1koko

Hey man, I don't bear you any real enmity; that's why I changed the amount of money in my OP...I thought that would be enough to derail the board detectives. I was mistaken.

That was great of you to shoot Julio an additional $50. However, I don't know if you knew this, but Julio already had the money you paid for those books, and I wasn't about to ask him for the money back. The refund (and original postage) came out of my exceedingly empty pockets. I was seriously counting every penny those days. After my charity auction went down, 90% of the money immediately went to seriously overdue bills, and the rest was quickly gone as well, doing things like going to the dentist to take care of a cavity that had been bothering me for a year. At any rate, I honestly couldn't afford the return postage for those books. Seven bucks may not seem like a lot to most here, but when you've got no money coming in whatsoever, $7 buys a lot of Top Ramen.

I honestly don't get why you'd feel any enmity towards me, real or otherwise.

You sold me heavily overgraded books, and were the one that insisted on a full refund & me keeping the books instead of sending them back (which I repeatedly stated I was happy to do).

If I had been made aware of your personal, financial situation, I would most certainly have told you to forget about it (or not brought up the overgrading in the first place) - but as you never mentioned any such thing, I didn't.

There should be a certain leeway in the name of charity, sure, but in the case of the item being in nowhere close to described condition, it's insane to think that the seller doesn't have at least a small measure of responsibility for ensuring that the buyer gets what he/she paid for.

Lastly ... in regards to your proposal to donate my books to charity, I'll gladly do so once I receive an apology from you. Considering that I've done nothing wrong here, yet you still saw fit to drag my name through the mud, that seems only fair.

It seems strange to me that a buyer in such an auction would make money out of anothers charitable contribution and the beneficiary's difficulties.

Glad to see that Beau made a $50 contribution.

I was the one that made the $50 contribution - not Beau.

Glad to see that Beau made a $50 contribution.

I was the one that made the $50 contribution - not Beau.

realised that and was in mid correction when you posted (thumbs u

That is an odd assumption or translation of what happened. I feel a lot like Caira on this one, and I probably wouldn't have done what Michael did. But in Michael's defense, there are lot of books that I would like to have in 9.6 that I would have absolutely no interest in in 8.5. Why should he have to get something absolutely worthless to him just because it was donated?

If Beau insisted he keep the books, that is on Beau, not Michael. Chances are they could have been re-posted and someone else would have picked them up. No harm, no foul.

I think Michael is great and I think Beau is great. I think what this Board does for the down and out is amazing. That's my 2c

That is an odd assumption or translation of what happened. I feel a lot like Caira on this one, and I probably wouldn't have done what Michael did. But in Michael's defense, there are lot of books that I would like to have in 9.6 that I would have absolutely no interest in in 8.5. Why should he have to get something absolutely worthless to him just because it was donated?

If Beau insisted he keep the books, that is on Beau, not Michael. Chances are they could have been re-posted and someone else would have picked them up. No harm, no foul.

I think Michael is great and I think Beau is great. I think what this Board does for the down and out is amazing. That's my 2c

In the quote I'm talking generally about bidding on a benefit auction hence "such an auction" rather than the specific auction.

It seems that at the price paid he could have just moved the books on and he would have been made whole.

In that scenario there wasn't really much point complaining to the seller that he overgraded the books as he could adequately be made whole anyway and Beau has efffetively made a contribution twice the size he had initially intended.

Agree the Board does help where it can.

I thought this thread was a little quiet but didn't know my post would lead here lol

FYI I refunded the $7 and sent a link to an Ebay BIN with the comic for $7 :)

Just to be fair, Beau never identified the board member in question in his initial post. Therefore, I am not sure if asking for an apology is warranted.

Just my 2c