• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Considering that I've done nothing wrong here, yet you still saw fit to drag my name through the mud, that seems only fair.

Charity auction. Complains about grades. Accepts refund. Keeps books as well.

You've behaved with absolute class. I've asked my three children to read this thread and told them to take a leaf out of your book.

Edited by Tony Edwards

Considering that I've done nothing wrong here, yet you still saw fit to drag my name through the mud, that seems only fair.

You've behaved with absolute class. I've asked my three children to read this thread and told them to take a leaf out of your book.

Charity auction - he participated

Complains about grades - Should selling standards disappear when the material is offered in a charity auction? Is it OK that a donator feels they've been duped because it's for charity?

Accepts refund - and promptly turned it into a donation.

Keeps books as well - Only at the insistence of the seller.

Is reading comprehension really that difficult to cause you to get every aspect wrong?

Complains about grades - Should selling standards disappear when the material is offered in a charity auction? Is it OK that a donator feels they've been duped because it's for charity?

Is reading comprehension really that difficult to cause you to get every aspect wrong?

My reading comprehension is perfectly fine - your problem appears to be a broken moral compass and/or misplaced loyalty to a pal.

If you're going to participate in a charity auction, do it with good grace or not at all.

In the context, don't complain about relatively small-ticket items that don't quite meet expectations.

It shouldn't have mattered how insistent the seller was, the books should have been returned.

Who behaves that way? None of my family or friends, I'm glad to say.

My reading comprehension is perfectly fine - your problem appears to be a broken moral compass and/or misplaced loyalty to a pal.

If you're going to participate in a charity auction, do it with good grace or not at all.

In the context, don't complain about relatively small-ticket items that don't quite meet expectations.

It shouldn't have mattered how insistent the seller was, the books should have been returned.

It's your morals that need readjusting. If a charity comic lot is characterized in one way, and shows up at the buyer's door in far different shape, then the problem lies with the person misrepresenting the charity lot. Being duped for charity or not is still being duped. If, on the other hand, there's a legitimate disagreement over whether the auction lot was the quality advertised, then it's up to the buyer and donator of the lot to resolve the disagreement. The value of the lot is irrelevant to any moral issue at hand and, after all, one person's judgement of relatively low value can be construed as relatively high value by another.

Furthermore, if the buyer donates the sale amount to the charity regardless of the quality of the lot they purchased, they've demonstrated generosity above and beyond what the charity auction calls for. That's a far cry from an immoral act.

You've also made an erroneous accusation that I'm biased - I don't know either party in this transaction from a hole in the wall, but I do know when someone's holier than thou attitude toward another who made a significant charitable donation is repugnant.

Broken, indeed.

It's your morals that need readjusting. If a charity comic lot is characterized in one way, and shows up at the buyer's door in far different shape, then the problem lies with the person misrepresenting the charity lot. Being duped for charity or not is still being duped. If, on the other hand, there's a legitimate disagreement over whether the auction lot was the quality advertised, then it's up to the buyer and donator of the lot to resolve the disagreement. The value of the lot is irrelevant to any moral issue at hand and, after all, one person's judgement of relatively low value can be construed as relatively high value by another.

Furthermore, if the buyer donates the sale amount to the charity regardless of the quality of the lot they purchased, they've demonstrated generosity above and beyond what the charity auction calls for. That's a far cry from an immoral act.

You've also made an erroneous accusation that I'm biased - I don't know either party in this transaction from a hole in the wall, but I do know when someone's holier than thou attitude toward another who made a significant charitable donation is repugnant.

Broken, indeed.

"Misrepresentation", "duped"? Get some perspective. This was a charity auction involving $50 worth of comic books, for goodness sake.

Okay, he donated the cash to charity - he should just have accepted that the books were slightly overgraded and got on with it. Like most truly charitable people would have done.

Oh, and I didn't make any "accusation" - is reading comprehension really that difficult?

You guys crack on in your world where the difference between an 8.5 and a 9.x on a couple of low-dollar books is more important than the charitable cause.

Your family and friends are saints for putting up with you, bellend.

Utterly pathetic. Your family and friends would be so proud of you.

One of my friends owns a printing company. He is so proud of me that he is producing a series of "World's Most Sanctimonious Douchepump" T-Shirts for you.

Edited by seanfingh

Your family and friends are saints for putting up with you, bellend.

Utterly pathetic. Your family and friends would be so proud of you.

One of my friends owns a printing company. He is so proud of me that he is producing a series of "World's Most Sanctimonious Douchepump" T-Shirts for you.

You have an impressive range of insults and profanities. You really are a fine example.

You guys crack on in your world where the difference between an 8.5 and a 9.x on a couple of low-dollar books is more important than the charitable cause.

This is your attempt to be holier than me. For one thing, you've conveniently overlooked yet again that the purchaser of the donated lot made a cash donation to the charity - consequently, you can't argue that anything was more important to this person than the cause. Second, it's inappropriate to bring up the value of the lot in question, since according to you this is a moral issue. Or do you think someone donating $1000 to a cause is more moral than someone donating $100 to same?

Finally, this is a comic book transaction forum you're posting in. Here, proper representation of comics being sold and, dare I say, auctioned for charity, is important for this site to continue to offer good commerce. As the buyer made abundantly clear, in his view the grades of the books in the lot in question were several levels below those advertised - this is probably not a case of a simple disagreement over a single grading unit among two comic aficionados.

This whole thing is ridiculous.

1) two stand up board members involved in a dispute

2) books overgraded

3) money refunded

4) books should be returned on insistence of the buyer who is displeased

5) should not have been made public

6) others creating a line of clothing

7) over the pond anger

8) something about charity

9) I like lists

10) Mrs. Peacock, in the conservatory, with the lead pipe

I'm replying off of Chris only because I feel like he is the voice of reason in situations like these. :foryou:

I am trying my best to re-connect with fellow forumites nowadays and I was directed to this conversation by someone. I am the person that this charity auction was done for.

I’d like to state that there was a point in time when I was in another state (VA) with my family and life hit us HARD. Surprisingly, Lebowski (TJ) was thoughtful enough to start a thread for my family and me. My wife and I were so grateful when people starting willingly giving their books and donations…shoot, a couple of awesome forumites even sent us packages with baby clothes that were desperately needed. The boards can contain some bickering and backbiting at times, but when it comes to someone in need or in trouble, they are willing to put that aside and come together to help a fellow comic collector out, even if the person in need is unfamiliar or unknown. This type of camaraderie is priceless.

Indeed, Mike did forward me an amount. I have dealt with Mike before both in purchasing and selling of books and I have never had any problems with him. On top of that, I have received well needed advice on a personal issue that I still hold on to ‘til this day. I realize that I may not speak for everyone else, but Mike is top notch in my book. I am not aware of the history others fellow boardies may have had with him, but I do know that my business with him has been untainted and I would continue buying from him in the future.

And Beau, you also donated books that you did not have to, but because of your thoughtfulness and past experience, you paid it forward. In addition to the thoughtful PM exchanges we had, you offered support in my processing the idea of being a “charity case”. It was very hard to accept that at first because of my pride, but then I saw beyond that and was able to acknowledge the notion that people are willing to help others on these boards. I’ve met awesome comic enthusiasts on here with great hearts and great passion for their collections. I’ve no complaints against your person because I’ve no reason to.

I’m in CA now and in a better position with my family. With that in mind, I would not hesitate in helping others out that may come across harsh times or who have lost homes or property because of natural disasters. Paying it forward is the least that I can do. Maybe the PMs could have remained personal? One year later, it still seems like it’s a sore spot. Not sure. I’m not sure if or how I can help to fix this current issue between Mike and Beau, but if it helps any, I’d be willing to either repay you both for your troubles or offer up a donation to a future charitable cause on both your behalves. I never got to see the books in question or what the PM exchange consisted of, but I do know that both of you are very respectable collectors who were willing to go above and beyond to help a fellow boardie in need. With all that in mind, I give you both a (worship)

I'm replying off of Chris only because I feel like he is the voice of reason in situations like these. :foryou:

I am trying my best to re-connect with fellow forumites nowadays and I was directed to this conversation by someone. I am the person that this charity auction was done for.

I’d like to state that there was a point in time when I was in another state (VA) with my family and life hit us HARD. Surprisingly, Lebowski (TJ) was thoughtful enough to start a thread for my family and me. My wife and I were so grateful when people starting willingly giving their books and donations…shoot, a couple of awesome forumites even sent us packages with baby clothes that were desperately needed. The boards can contain some bickering and backbiting at times, but when it comes to someone in need or in trouble, they are willing to put that aside and come together to help a fellow comic collector out, even if the person in need is unfamiliar or unknown. This type of camaraderie is priceless.

Indeed, Mike did forward me an amount. I have dealt with Mike before both in purchasing and selling of books and I have never had any problems with him. On top of that, I have received well needed advice on a personal issue that I still hold on to ‘til this day. I realize that I may not speak for everyone else, but Mike is top notch in my book. I am not aware of the history others fellow boardies may have had with him, but I do know that my business with him has been untainted and I would continue buying from him in the future.

And Beau, you also donated books that you did not have to, but because of your thoughtfulness and past experience, you paid it forward. In addition to the thoughtful PM exchanges we had, you offered support in my processing the idea of being a “charity case”. It was very hard to accept that at first because of my pride, but then I saw beyond that and was able to acknowledge the notion that people are willing to help others on these boards. I’ve met awesome comic enthusiasts on here with great hearts and great passion for their collections. I’ve no complaints against your person because I’ve no reason to.

I’m in CA now and in a better position with my family. With that in mind, I would not hesitate in helping others out that may come across harsh times or who have lost homes or property because of natural disasters. Paying it forward is the least that I can do. Maybe the PMs could have remained personal? One year later, it still seems like it’s a sore spot. Not sure. I’m not sure if or how I can help to fix this current issue between Mike and Beau, but if it helps any, I’d be willing to either repay you both for your troubles or offer up a donation to a future charitable cause on both your behalves. I never got to see the books in question or what the PM exchange consisted of, but I do know that both of you are very respectable collectors who were willing to go above and beyond to help a fellow boardie in need. With all that in mind, I give you both a (worship)

:applause:

:applause:

Yes indeed :applause: Hope that puts this to rest.

I’m not sure if or how I can help to fix this current issue between Mike and Beau, but if it helps any, I’d be willing to either repay you both for your troubles or offer up a donation to a future charitable cause on both your behalves. I never got to see the books in question or what the PM exchange consisted of, but I do know that both of you are very respectable collectors who were willing to go above and beyond to help a fellow boardie in need. With all that in mind, I give you both a (worship)

Thanks for the kind words, Julio - the situation you went through last year is not something I'd wish on anyone, and I'm glad to hear that you're in a better position now.

I think it's time to just put this to rest ... I'm going to donate the books in question to the next charity auction that rolls around, and hopefully that'll be the end of that.

Post of the year! Easily! :applause: