• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Which is my intention. I just wanted to get opinions on whether I would end up on the PL.

Ah... If you're looking to cancel the deal, he's provided the opportunity. If both buyer and seller agree to that, neither should end up on the PL. Seems pretty similar to the current AF15 fiasco over in general, in that sense (except no-one's been called a deadbeat yet). ;)

My thoughts as well.

Thanks guys. (thumbs u

It's probably for the best.

Without being privy to all the communication between the two of you, I get a strong feeling that the buyer is looking for a way out and is using the issue of duty as a stalking horse to cover buyer's regret.

I thought this as well. In fact he made the deal a couple months ago and seemed surprised when I told him the book was arriving Thursday. Normally I get a deposit and finalize the shipping price. In this case with how hot the book is I felt covered.

Oh well live and learn.

I broke my other rule the other day as well. ALWAYS count the cash handed to you. I had a guy who frequently pays cash come over. 1st time I did not count it. doh!

$500 became $400 overnight.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm fairly certain that the UK doesn't charge customs fees on bound printed matter (eg. books, magazines, comic books). So even if the package is declared at its full value, there'll never be an extra charge for the buyer ...

I've never been charged any customs fee's on comics, As long as its marked "comics" or "printed matter" you should never have a problem.

Edited by djc81

It appears I have an out. Agreed?

ok insure it for the value BUT when it gets to uk and im asked to pay charges i won't collect and it will be sent back to sender,and you can refund the funds,i was gonna send the funds as i normally do on the boards so you would't get hit by paypal frikking fee's,cos im gonna lose out alot,im not rich work 2 jobs,but fingers crossed expresspost will get through customs without any hiccups,up2 you are my terms fine with you?

if not then end just have to leave it al together

What does that diarrhea mess of a run-on sentence even mean? You haven't sent the book yet, have you? If you haven't, don't. Walk away from what will surely grow into a larger headache of a deal.

Sentence make Hulk head hurt! doh!:tonofbricks:

lol

It's an $800 book that the buyer would like me to declare as a $50 book.

The actual shipping cost is $85 and the buyer thought it would be $40. Since I failed to discuss the shipping charge I offered to ship it for $60.

Yes he is in the UK.

Are we clear now? ;)

There are no custom duties to pay on printed materials in the UK - your buyer should know this. Insure it for the full amount and put 'printed papers' on the custom form.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm fairly certain that the UK doesn't charge customs fees on bound printed matter (eg. books, magazines, comic books). So even if the package is declared at its full value, there'll never be an extra charge for the buyer ...

You are correct.

Understood but you and I both know there is a chance and it's a chance not worth taking as far as I'm concerned. He gave me an out and I took it :)

I'd like to know who it us though as he should definitely be aware that there are no import taxes to pay on comics in the UK.

You are correct.

I think i need go find a uk boardie and get brownnosed hm

:censored: 25% import tax on product AND shipping :censored:

lol

The actual shipping cost is $85 and the buyer thought it would be $40. Since I failed to discuss the shipping charge I offered to ship it for $60.

Yes he is in the UK.

Are we clear now? ;)

There are no custom duties to pay on printed materials in the UK - your buyer should know this. Insure it for the full amount and put 'printed papers' on the custom form.

Good to know for the next time. I will let this buyer know as well. The book has been sold to a fellow Canadian.

lol

Yes he is in the UK.

Are we clear now? ;)

We are.

He's a cretin.

No duty on printed matter in the UK

In my opinion, you're doing absolutely nothing wrong in this case. (thumbs u

The buyer is trying to convince you to commit fraud by declaring a false value on the the item. Under no circumstances are you forced to comply and I would totally support your decision to end the transaction if the buyer doesn't change his tune. :sumo:

Understood but you and I both know there is a chance and it's a chance not worth taking as far as I'm concerned. He gave me an out and I took it :)

I'd like to know who it us though as he should definitely be aware that there are no import taxes to pay on comics in the UK.

+1, seems like this guy is trying to "try it on" with you. Would you be willing to let me know who it is, if only by PM?