• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I don't sell to probies and had I known he was on the list, I never would have agreed to the sale. My question now is this: I agreed to the sale and he seems to be blowing off his end of the deal. I'd prefer to not do business with him. Would I have the backing of the board if I told the guy that the transaction is no longer valid or should I hold up my end of the deal should he decide to come through and pay for it? Thoughts?

Still looking for input on this one. The whole post is a few posts back, but this is what I'm hoping people will weigh in on. Thanks!

I say you should definitely be able to cancel the deal.

I don't know if you had it in your sales thread "no sales to list members" but if so and he still tried to buy the book then shame on him. You shouldn't worry about it one bit.

Sometimes, simplicity is beautiful. :grin:

Now you have people asking if they can do this or that. My advice? Just do it. :makepoint:

We've always had people asking if they can do this or do that. Now a lot of the questions are answered in advance. And we don't need to repeat the same things over and over every time a new PL issue arises.

And I reiterate - what was simpler? Everything except the required one PM notification and extending the rules to off-board the rules are as they always were. Now they are just made public.

Kind of like if CGC made public their grading standard.

I'd like to nominate a board member for the probation list.

Sent invoice on 08/24 for a whopping $13 (two books) and was told he'd be paying by money order. After three weeks, I get the following PM:

Sorry to keep you waiting for so long but I'll have to pas on these books. I just got let go from my job so I'm now completely strapped for cash. If I manage to get some extra cash anytime soon I'll pm you to see if you still have these for sale. Sorry again.

Now, normally I wouldn't care a whole lot given the low dollar amount and such, but the message above was followed by

*Board User In Question* has removed themself from this topic.

He's a new user and I was going to discuss with him how things worked here in the forum marketplace, but since he removed himself from the PM thread, I'll bring it up here as a warning to other members (and him, if he's still here, which I kind of doubt). Reneging on a deal is one thing, then snubbing the communication is just rude, IMO.

If you fellas feel he's eligible, let me know and I'll provide his name.

*EDIT: It just got better. He made a post today in the 'What's new in your collection' thread in the SA forum of some stuff he picked up over the weekend.

This was posted 3.5 hours after his PM to me. Maybe he lost his job Monday or this morning, but color me dubious.

I believe you have to wait 30 days (which isn't too far away). At that point, you need to make an attempt to contact him, and alert him of this thread. You can also add his name here, after the 30 days.

Thirty days from after he tells me outright that he's not going to pay for the books?

Or is it thirty days after no contact?

Anyhow, I have no problem waiting thirty days, but he has made his indication to me very plainly that he is not paying, then removed himself from the PM discussion and then posted that he bought a bunch of cool stuff at the comic shop over the weekend. It doesn't seem to me that there is much wiggle room there.

Just out the doofus and let's move along :foryou:

I've sent him a PM today (triggered by sales threads started by this user). If I don't hear anything back, I'll go ahead and proceed with the addition.

Sent invoice on 08/24 for a whopping $13 (two books) and was told he'd be paying by money order. After three weeks, I get the following PM:

Sorry to keep you waiting for so long but I'll have to pas on these books. I just got let go from my job so I'm now completely strapped for cash. If I manage to get some extra cash anytime soon I'll pm you to see if you still have these for sale. Sorry again.

Now, normally I wouldn't care a whole lot given the low dollar amount and such, but the message above was followed by

He's a new user and I was going to discuss with him how things worked here in the forum marketplace, but since he removed himself from the PM thread, I'll bring it up here as a warning to other members (and him, if he's still here, which I kind of doubt). Reneging on a deal is one thing, then snubbing the communication is just rude, IMO.

*EDIT: It just got better. He made a post today in the 'What's new in your collection' thread in the SA forum of some stuff he picked up over the weekend.

This was posted 3.5 hours after his PM to me. Maybe he lost his job Monday or this morning, but color me dubious.

i just explained to annihilus why what happened happened. im not trying to kiss and get off the probation list, just want to explain that i meant no rudeness by deleting the conversation, i was just clearing out the old messages and didnt know it would remove the conversation entirely. im still new here and am still learning how everything works and i guess i learned what happens when you delete a conversation youre in the middle of. there were two other members that i had to back out of a transaction and if you two happen to see this than i am sorry and meant no harm by deleting the messages. as i just told annihilus, i got some extra cash and can pay for the books so if you two are still wanting to sell, pm me and well work out the deal. once again, im not trying to get off the probation list, im just holding myself accountable for my actions and admitting i was wrong to delete the messages before i heard back from the members.

EDIT: if anyone on here feels i should be on the list then add me. ill be more than glad to take responsibility for my actions and take the punishment like a man.

Edited by excelsior1986

i just explained to annihilus why what happened happened. im not trying to kiss and get off the probation list, just want to explain that i meant no rudeness by deleting the conversation, i was just clearing out the old messages and didnt know it would remove the conversation entirely. im still new here and am still learning how everything works and i guess i learned what happens when you delete a conversation youre in the middle of. there were two other members that i had to back out of a transaction and if you two happen to see this than i am sorry and meant no harm by deleting the messages. as i just told annihilus, i got some extra cash and can pay for the books so if you two are still wanting to sell, pm me and well work out the deal. once again, im not trying to get off the probation list, im just holding myself accountable for my actions and admitting i was wrong to delete the messages before i heard back from the members.

EDIT: if anyone on here feels i should be on the list then add me. ill be more than glad to take responsibility for my actions and take the punishment like a man.

Good for you to respond to this. I actually was the one who asked about references in your other sales thread. Kudos to you for honestly mentioning that you had to bail on a couple of transactions. However, that was sufficient to frighten me completely off the thread. If you want to be able to buy and sell here, you must be as good as your word and honor any committments you make. It is not the responsibility of the other boardies you reneged upon to PM you and set things right. This falls to you for failing to live up to your end previously. After 30 days, any of the problem deals are eligible to have you placed on the probation list (which will handicap any future sales you attempt as folks have long memories for folks and their actions even after removal from the list).

I would suggest contacting all the prior parties yourself and attempting to reconcile any previously outstanding deals. :foryou:

Good luck, and as I mentioned honesty admitting the problem and taking steps to correct it is an admirable start.

Good for you to respond to this. I actually was the one who asked about references in your other sales thread. Kudos to you for honestly mentioning that you had to bail on a couple of transactions. However, that was sufficient to frighten me completely off the thread. If you want to be able to buy and sell here, you must be as good as your word and honor any committments you make. It is not the responsibility of the other boardies you reneged upon to PM you and set things right. This falls to you for failing to live up to your end previously. After 30 days, any of the problem deals are eligible to have you placed on the probation list (which will handicap any future sales you attempt as folks have long memories for folks and their actions even after removal from the list).

I would suggest contacting all the prior parties yourself and attempting to reconcile any previously outstanding deals. :foryou:

Good luck, and as I mentioned honesty admitting the problem and taking steps to correct it is an admirable start.

Words of wisdom :)

After communicating with excelsior1986, we are good as far as I'm concerned.

One final thing though - I would highly recommend getting a Paypal account due to the fact that it's likely that about 80% of the board will not deal with you if you do not have one.

Best of luck to you in future dealings :foryou:

(Not you, Heath - you can eat *spoon*)

The added time by allowing time payments is irrelevant. The seller was apparently quite willing to wait for the payments and did not seem to ask for extra compensation.

Has the buyer refused to pay?

In the end the buyer did say they didn't want it(after reading several PM's but not responding to them)...which was understandable not being able to pay in the situation. But think the lack of communication and taking the time to read the message and just disregard it. Like Bio-rupp stated that if a seller asks if they still want the book, and plan to make payments etc, after little to no attempt has been made to make payments/communicate with the seller then the time should be started.

Sorry, don't make it down here too often.

In regards to the Spider-Dan situation: He wasn't even talking about probation when he started the thread. He wanted to know when he could re-list his book without violating any Board Rules.

Truthfully, the 30 day waiting thing was brought up because people do not always list a payment schedule in the listings. If there is no payment schedule in the deal then the 30 day waiting period was thought to be beyond fair. Repeat, if no payment schedule was mentioned in the deal, to be fair to the buyer, 30 days was considered more than enough time to scrape up the cash & get it to the seller.

Spider-Dan did have a pay schedule with his buyer. When it was not met, the contract was broken & he should be free to do as he needs to. If my daughter breaks her arm & in a panic I need to raise $800 I would list a book & say the payment must be received by midnight. If payment is not received then I should be free to re list the book the next day to get the funds I need. I should not have to deal with any of the probation committee coming into my thread & telling me that if I want to stay in the good graces of the board I need to give the insufficiently_thoughtful_person buyer another 30 days.

It's common sense.

Words of wisdom :)

After communicating with excelsior1986, we are good as far as I'm concerned.

One final thing though - I would highly recommend getting a Paypal account due to the fact that it's likely that about 80% of the board will not deal with you if you do not have one.

Best of luck to you in future dealings :foryou:

(Not you, Heath - you can eat *spoon*)

Just to be clear, by good do you mean that you would like him removed from the probation list?

im completely aware of that but since i cleared out those messages i cant see who they were and my memory sucks. ill do some hunting on the sales threads though to figure out who they are and contact them.

im completely aware of that but since i cleared out those messages i cant see who they were and my memory sucks. ill do some hunting on the sales threads though to figure out who they are and contact them.

If you posted "takeits" in sales threads, you should be able to sift through your old posts (you've only got 101 of them) and figure out who the sellers were pretty quickly.

Purchase of a book falls through -

I made an offer on a Sgt Fury 2 that I saw on the boards from a Newbie with 9 posts. He accepted my offer and I paid him on Sept. 5.

On 9/13 I emailed him. No response. So I called him after a couple of days. He said that he was selling for another person, the books were not in his possession, and that the book cannot be found. He refunded my money on Sept. 16.

I am wondering if he should be put on this probation list hm

Other opinions anyone?

I made an offer on a Sgt Fury 2 that I saw on the boards from a Newbie with 9 posts. He accepted my offer and I paid him on Sept. 5.

On 9/13 I emailed him. No response. So I called him after a couple of days. He said that he was selling for another person, the books were not in his possession, and that the book cannot be found. He refunded my money on Sept. 16.

Other opinions anyone?

I don't think this merits the probation list. He did refund your money right away when they couldn't locate the book.

Other opinions anyone?

I don't think this merits the probation list. He did refund your money right away when they couldn't locate the book.

+1

But this brings up a good point. The seller should have to disclose if the books are on consignment, or are not in their immediate possession.