• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Been busy lately, and I see there are 95 unread posts in this thread for me.

Can somebody please pm me with wtf the dealio is, or just post a synopsis for all to see?

Thanks in advance.

Ze-

PM sent.

Didn't realize the types of responses this would elicit. I was just annoyed.

Some of you are outraged about this going on but are OK about contacting an eBay seller about ending auctions with bids already placed in the General Forum thread? Hypocrisy at it's worst... (tsk)

I guess it doesn't matter until it effects you directly... hm

Jim

Don't cloud the issue with ethics. :baiting:

Ethics has nothing to do with it... :baiting:

You hear outrage here about suspected underhanded tactics but then you hear the opposite when discussing a similar tactic used on eBay. It's so hypocritical, it's laughable... lol

Jim

Some of you are outraged about this going on but are OK about contacting an eBay seller about ending auctions with bids already placed in the General Forum thread? Hypocrisy at it's worst... (tsk)

Jim

You hear outrage here about suspected underhanded tactics but then you hear the opposite when discussing a similar tactic used on eBay. It's so hypocritical, it's laughable... lol

Jim

hm

Jim

Jim

I think there is a difference though JIM.

eBay - Book has a bid. Someone offers to buy the book and cancels the person's bid.

Here - Book SELLS. Someone has the same book and offers it to the winner for less resulting in that person backing out of a completed transaction.

It's a moot point anyway as i believe there was no "other person" and it was just a lame excuse to back out.

I think there is a difference though JIM.

eBay - Book has a bid. Someone offers to buy the book and cancels the person's bid.

Here - Book SELLS. Someone has the same book and offers it to the winner for less resulting in that person backing out of a completed transaction.

It's a moot point anyway as i believe there was no "other person" and it was just a lame excuse to back out.

Nah...it's the same scam just working the other way...

Jim

Jim

Jim

if you're going to call people out for this sort of thing, why not actually name some names instead of lumping everyone in together? i have been 100% consistent in my position for the two scenarios, and i know Nik has as well

Jim

Jim

The selling forum is different. I am not debating whether one should do this or that on eBay, but we are not strangers to one another here. The selling forum should be held to a higher standard. We are familiar with each other here and we are not dealing with rank strangers.

The selling forum is different. I am not debating whether one should do this or that on eBay, but we are not strangers to one another here. The selling forum should be held to a higher standard. We are familiar with each other here and we are not dealing with rank strangers.

Are you saying that lower standards are OK when dealing with strangers?

And as far as "knowing" one another. I'd bet 90% of the Forum members have not met more than 3 people on this Forum out of the 10,000 registered. And a large percentage of those that have have only done so as part of a Forum dinner once or twice. We are hardly well known to each other personally here...

But I'm all for higher standards...here and everywhere in my opinion...

Jim

And as far as "knowing" one another. I'd bet 90% of the Forum members have not met more than 3 people on this Forum out of the 10,000 registered. And a large percentage of those that have have only done so as part of a Forum dinner once or twice. We are hardly well known to each other personally here...

Jim

There's an easy fix for that, everyone come to the Mid-Ohio Con in November and I'll take everyone out to get hammered, except for Doc Watson who only drinks milk and soy based products.

Jim

How much contact do have with someone when buying or selling on the boards versus buying or selling on eBay? The ones that I have bought from and sold to on here I would consider to be friends. There isn't any eBay transaction that carries the same trust factor as a transaction here would nor should it, unless that person would also be a board member.

There's an easy fix for that, everyone come to the Mid-Ohio Con in November and I'll take everyone out to get hammered, except for Doc Watson who only drinks milk and soy based products.

You buying? If so, that's mighty tempting... (thumbs u

Jim

Jim

You're slipping off the friend list pretty quick there partner. BTW.. I haven't mailed that book yet. :makepoint:

Jim

How much contact do have with someone when buying or selling on the boards versus buying or selling on eBay? The ones that I have bought from and sold to on here I would consider to be friends. There isn't any eBay transaction that carries the same trust factor as a transaction here would nor should it, unless that person would also be a board member.

your ethical integrity isn't defined solely by how you treat friends. it also includes how you treat strangers. it's easy to not screw over a buddy, so i fail to see why your distinction should mean -all

Jim

You're slipping off the friend list pretty quick there partner. BTW.. I haven't mailed that book yet. :makepoint:

Consider my comment grandfathered until book is received! Have you made a decision about which con to attend?

You buying? If so, that's mighty tempting... (thumbs u

Jim

Only if you bring that hot G4 gal licking that apple product along with you!

The ones that I have bought from and sold to on here I would consider to be friends.

And then you meet the Lighthouses of the Forum and that belief is quickly squashed...

Jim

I would say that people like Lighthouse tend to weed themselves out.

The ones that I have bought from and sold to on here I would consider to be friends.

And then you meet the Lighthouses of the Forum and that belief is quickly squashed...

Jim

Luckily that does not happen too much. I was not on the boards while he did what he did the first time but judging by the posts on here, he had many friends