• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Tape should be disclosed even if it's "within grade"

I do if I see it. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how much of the outrage is the grade and how much is the prologue.

Which for me falls into the realm of "I don't care". Of course that's just how I run my sales and unlikely is part of the general consensus. The undisclosed tape is enough for me to insist on a return as a buyer and since I accept returns it is more than enough to grant a refund. Even if this is buyer's remorse he did find a legitimate reason to return it. Second guessing his motives only creates headaches.

That's not a popped staple. He already said that. He said the cover is attached.

Yeah, I fixed my post - it looks like it's still attached to the BC, you're just too damn fast with your quoting.

lol

The popped staple is a sore spot with me ever since my 9.6 Tec 400 came back 9.0 with a pop.

If a seller misses something then they did not sell me what they claimed. I don't believe in a no return policy. It shouldn't justify lazy sellers.

I can't speak for Gambit, but this situation seems more about selling a $XXX book and while it's dropped in value, the buyer want's his original $XXX back, even though it's not worth $XXX, it's worth less.

The tape issues just seems to be a convenient noose to hang the seller with. Tape is not going to affect a VG grade, as it's part of the flaws within that grading criteria. Tape would not deter the sale of a VG graded book. It may discourage some buyers, but there would be plenty that could care less - so it's not like it's been completely devalued.

The seller got himself in a twist by selling books without scans and accidentaly overgrading the book by missing an inside flaw - which can happen to anyone, myself included. This is not a NM book with tape. It's slightly overgraded and it's being blown out of proportion for the sake of doing so.

In a perfect world, it'd be great to see a partial refund given for a slight overgrade and be done with it, with heavy learning lessons around.

My apologies as I didn't read all the posts. I was speaking in general in response to Roy's statement about selling.

Ahh, no apologies needed. It seems like this situation with Gambit and J-person is an incredibly rare instance where there was buyers remorse, overgrading, tape, personal checks and attitude all coming together to make it messy.

After some reflection, this doesn't really change my selling policies. I only take Paypal. I require 3 days for payment. I ship next day. These are ways to avoid buyer's remorse on hype books because they generally have them in-hand while they are still hot. This unfortunate situation highlights the importance of payment deadlines for the buyer as well as shipping deadlines for the seller.

I have always offered a no questions return policy although I will admit that I ask questions. :) I am genuinely interested in why they wish to return it. I consider buyer's remorse as the cost of dealing in the volatile modern market. I have always accepted returns and have had 4 in 10 years. I credit not trying to milk a comic for every last penny but that's just a theory.

but sometimes a person really really needs the penny. But while buyer beware certainly has its place, its really the onus of the seller to make things as clear as possible up front. People get mad over undisclosed pressing on SLABS, i'm pretty sure its ok to get riled about undisclosed tape on a raw.

I agree. What if it wasn't tape, what if it was a VF comic with a small picture of genitals drawn on one of the inside pages? Oh its VG/F, the grade is right so we're square.

Then the buyer is happy and not asking for a return so what is your point?

If a seller misses something then they did not sell me what they claimed. I don't believe in a no return policy. It shouldn't justify lazy sellers.

I can't speak for Gambit, but this situation seems more about selling a $XXX book and while it's dropped in value, the buyer want's his original $XXX back, even though it's not worth $XXX, it's worth less.

The tape issues just seems to be a convenient noose to hang the seller with. Tape is not going to affect a VG grade, as it's part of the flaws within that grading criteria. Tape would not deter the sale of a VG graded book. It may discourage some buyers, but there would be plenty that could care less - so it's not like it's been completely devalued.

The seller got himself in a twist by selling books without scans and accidentaly overgrading the book by missing an inside flaw - which can happen to anyone, myself included. This is not a NM book with tape. It's slightly overgraded and it's being blown out of proportion for the sake of doing so.

In a perfect world, it'd be great to see a partial refund given for a slight overgrade and be done with it, with heavy learning lessons around.

My apologies as I didn't read all the posts. I was speaking in general in response to Roy's statement about selling.

Ahh, no apologies needed. It seems like this situation with Gambit and J-person is an incredibly rare instance where there was buyers remorse, overgrading, tape, personal checks and attitude all coming together to make it messy.

After some reflection, this doesn't really change my selling policies. I only take Paypal. I require 3 days for payment. I ship next day. These are ways to avoid buyer's remorse on hype books because they generally have them in-hand while they are still hot. This unfortunate situation highlights the importance of payment deadlines for the buyer as well as shipping deadlines for the seller.

I have always offered a no questions return policy although I will admit that I ask questions. :) I am genuinely interested in why they wish to return it. I consider buyer's remorse as the cost of dealing in the volatile modern market. I have always accepted returns and have had 4 in 10 years. I credit not trying to milk a comic for every last penny but that's just a theory.

but sometimes a person really really needs the penny. But while buyer beware certainly has its place, its really the onus of the seller to make things as clear as possible up front. People get mad over undisclosed pressing on SLABS, i'm pretty sure its ok to get riled about undisclosed tape on a raw.

I think we agree. (shrug)

Tough to tell since the kids had me up all night.

I agree. What if it wasn't tape, what if it was a VF comic with a small picture of genitals drawn on one of the inside pages? Oh its VG/F, the grade is right so we're square.

I had no idea genitals knocked a book down that far. :o

This might be the first time it's ever been written on the boards but, damn, CGC is hard on genitals!

I think it would be at least nice to hold the seller as accountable as I'm being held for my remorse. whether I did have it or not, I did pay it and accepted it when the books came

Many sellers have said already that they would accept the return, especially for the mistake on the tape and tear on bottom staple. Not sure why my motivation for the return is questioned but the sellers integrity isn't to the same degree. Granted I lost all mine in the beginning yet some of you fail to hold him to the same fire as I'm being held.

In the end the loser on this deal is me, he has all the money he wanted and I have a book that isn't what it was described as. Life isn't fair but he can make it less fair by honoring his policy despite what he may think my motivations are. At this point it's a matter of pride on his behalf not to give me anything and to me that's dumb. There are more important things than money in this life, whether I lose a couple hundred on this deal won't be the first or the last time. Just like making up the same amount on another deal will even itself out.

Some of you see that point and it makes think this is the exception and not the rule. People always complain about Ebay giving the buyer all the power in the world, but this ain't no different if you ask me, except the seller has all the power.

Peace.

You don't have to accept a no return policy. You can just walk away from that seller and ignore it.

on the other hand, if you pull the trigger on a book that has no returns stated ahead of time though, then it's all on you because you agreed with those terms before pulling the trigger.

The only defense would be if the "no returns" was not clearly stated in this case.

Otherwise, it's just another case of people not taking accountability for their actions and wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

For what it's worth though, I agree with you in keeping customers happy. :)

So if a seller sells a book with undisclosed CT and doesn't accept returns, the buyer should take "accountability for their actions" and just eat the loss? :screwy:

Stating "no returns accepted" in a listing doesn't magically absolve the seller from his responsibility to ensure that the buyer gets what they paid for.

I feel like we've had this discussion before. hm

In our world resto is a big no-no, so in our culture we'd expect a return.

Tape is a big no-no among some people but it's one of those things where if you really don't like it, you should remember to ask about it. Sellers do make mistakes and miss things.

Out in the real world, if someone states "no returns" I'd expect that to be legally binding if the buyer bought knowing those terms ahead of time.

Again, as a seller I'd offer the return to keep the customer happy but as a buyer if I bought from a seller who stated "no return" then I'd have to accept that as the final verdict.

I think it would be at least nice to hold the seller as accountable as I'm being held for my remorse. whether I did have it or not, I did pay it and accepted it when the books came

Many sellers have said already that they would accept the return, especially for the mistake on the tape and tear on bottom staple. Not sure why my motivation for the return is questioned but the sellers integrity isn't to the same degree. Granted I lost all mine in the beginning yet some of you fail to hold him to the same fire as I'm being held.

In the end the loser on this deal is me, he has all the money he wanted and I have a book that isn't what it was described as. Life isn't fair but he can make it less fair by honoring his policy despite what he may think my motivations are. At this point it's a matter of pride on his behalf not to give me anything and to me that's dumb. There are more important things than money in this life, whether I lose a couple hundred on this deal won't be the first or the last time. Just like making up the same amount on another deal will even itself out.

Some of you see that point and it makes think this is the exception and not the rule. People always complain about Ebay giving the buyer all the power in the world, but this ain't no different if you ask me, except the seller has all the power.

Peace.

If the grade is wrong you have every right to a refund, partial or otherwise, on that book.

Well that's big of you as a buyer. I simply do not agree that you'd have to abide by it no matter what item arrives. There may be varying degrees of tolerance but I would expect everyone to have the line where they would return it.

What if it's a reprint? Married cover to another book? Extreme cases I realize. With online shopping and the inability to examine the item 1st hand I believe the rules and responsibilities of both parties need to adapt.

:news:

Gambit and I worked out our differences. thanks everyone for your input.

Gambit sorry if I took it too far - I'll post positive Kudos on your thread.

:applause:

:whee:

:applause:

I reached out to buyer.. We agreed on terms and the transaction is complete.. . I've dealt on here a long time and never had to deal with an issue like this , and will make sure never have to again.

Personally, I've learned from this whole ordeal to check all my comics for random dong drawings.

You don't have to accept a no return policy. You can just walk away from that seller and ignore it.

on the other hand, if you pull the trigger on a book that has no returns stated ahead of time though, then it's all on you because you agreed with those terms before pulling the trigger.

The only defense would be if the "no returns" was not clearly stated in this case.

Otherwise, it's just another case of people not taking accountability for their actions and wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

For what it's worth though, I agree with you in keeping customers happy. :)

So if a seller sells a book with undisclosed CT and doesn't accept returns, the buyer should take "accountability for their actions" and just eat the loss? :screwy:

Stating "no returns accepted" in a listing doesn't magically absolve the seller from his responsibility to ensure that the buyer gets what they paid for.

I feel like we've had this discussion before. hm

In our world resto is a big no-no, so in our culture we'd expect a return.

Tape is a big no-no among some people but it's one of those things where if you really don't like it, you should remember to ask about it. Sellers do make mistakes and miss things.

Out in the real world, if someone states "no returns" I'd expect that to be legally binding if the buyer bought knowing those terms ahead of time.

Again, as a seller I'd offer the return to keep the customer happy but as a buyer if I bought from a seller who stated "no return" then I'd have to accept that as the final verdict.

Try putting "no returns accepted" on your "real world" eBay listing and then sell some heavily overgraded comics - once the complaints start rolling in, you'll be forced to take the returns :)

Again ... "no returns accepted" doesn't absolve you from your most basic responsibility as a seller - ensuring the buyer gets what they paid for. If you think otherwise, you're mistaken.

The buyer shouldn't have to ask whether a book has tape on the interior - just like they shouldn't have to ask about a missing coupon, a popped staple or a page that's been cut out.

I reached out to buyer.. We agreed on terms and the transaction is complete.. . I've dealt on here a long time and never had to deal with an issue like this , and will make sure never have to again.

Personally, I've learned from this whole ordeal to check all my comics for random dong drawings.

There may be a collecting niche for that and those would bring a premium hm

There may be a collecting niche for that and those would bring a premium hm

Registry set request? hm