• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOOKS amatuer home pressing thread !

195 posts in this topic

I realize that the high priests want to protect the fabled mystical art from falling into the hands of the neophytes and intolerable misanthropes, but perhaps divulging some of the empirical specifics of the techniques employed might actually help some viewers develop a more positive and learned view towards restoration?

Do tell.

:popcorn:

Some folks came down hard on Hooks because he sold books that appeared pressed. But what upset them more was the way they were pressed, and how potentially he didn't use protective paper so the weave from the press went into the covers.

I'm just summarizing what others could look up Hooks, so please don't think I am taking sides.

This is gonna end in tears. :eek:

I'm afraid so as well, as much as I hate to see this happen.

But I guess anyone that starts a thread about what is being discussed about them is trying to get this out in the open to begin with, so it may as well be now.

Hooks,

I guess I'll start by asking what do you want to do to make this right if anything? After getting my book from you, I was very happy with the quality of the book and its appearance. It wasn't until David's tread that I took the book out again and looked at the back cover only to find evidence of a bad press.

NFBC1.jpg

I'm not a high grade collector and I rarely send in books to get graded, but I guess if I did decide to send this one in, I wonder what CGC would give it with the waffled back cover? Anyway, just wondering what you are trying to say/resolve/explain by starting the thread?

Hooks,

I guess I'll start by asking what do you want to do to make this right if anything? After getting my book from you, I was very happy with the quality of the book and its appearance. It wasn't until David's tread that I took the book out again and looked at the back cover only to find evidence of a bad press.

NFBC1.jpg

I'm not a high grade collector and I rarely send in books to get graded, but I guess if I did decide to send this one in, I wonder what CGC would give it with the waffled back cover? Anyway, just wondering what you are trying to say/resolve/explain by starting the thread?

Holy cow.

waffle.jpg

I realize that the high priests want to protect the fabled mystical art from falling into the hands of the neophytes and intolerable misanthropes, but perhaps divulging some of the empirical specifics of the techniques employed might actually help some viewers develop a more positive and learned view towards restoration?

Do tell.

:popcorn:

What restoration?

That aside, I just don't get the motivation behind what you were doing Hooks. I think you're a nice guy, and a good boardie. But I mean, were you even evalutating your pressing work? How could you not have noticed what you were doing to these books? The pattern from the pad of the press is fairly obvious. Did you just not notice???