• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOOKS amatuer home pressing thread !

195 posts in this topic

to be honest I thought that it made the cover look better and I for one am not really concerned about the BC. And , yes , I noticed that waffle look on some and I assume at the time I judged that it was offset by a better cover so the grade didn't really change. I figured any book that had been pressed probably looked much better than the grade I gave it , not to mention I sell everything close to 1/2 off. So , with mid-grade collectors which would have been the buyers in this thread for the most part (other than Divad) they got better than they anticipated had it been one that I had practiced one.I received one Pm from a buyer who said "Thank you"! "That is the most gorgeous SA book I have ever seen ! I don't care but has it been pressed ? I said yes (assuming it must have been one that I pressed).

Serious questions I'll be glad to answer..

No need for those that just like to stir up sh%$#t and conspiracy cr%^$#p.

B~

Did you really type this hooks? Worse yet, did you mean it?

You are not really concerned about the BC?

Seriously :(

to be honest I thought that it made the cover look better and I for one am not really concerned about the BC. And , yes , I noticed that waffle look on some and I assume at the time I judged that it was offset by a better cover so the grade didn't really change. I figured any book that had been pressed probably looked much better than the grade I gave it , not to mention I sell everything close to 1/2 off. So , with mid-grade collectors which would have been the buyers in this thread for the most part (other than Divad) they got better than they anticipated had it been one that I had practiced one.I received one Pm from a buyer who said "Thank you"! "That is the most gorgeous SA book I have ever seen ! I don't care but has it been pressed ? I said yes (assuming it must have been one that I pressed).

B~

I realize that you initially wanted this topic discussed. And it has , and I have always respected you here. So , I'll try to help before I'm out for the day.

Yes , I personally like and collect cool covers. The better the front , yes ! The BC is an after thought for me. I want it intact to be sure ,and no holes or dirty and can live w/ a couple of small tears. However , it's the glossy cool cover and artwork that keeps me going thru my long boxes when I have the time.And , I believe there are many collectors here the same. Obviously if I was slabbing and/or a high grade collector that would be different.

B~

I realize that you initially wanted this topic discussed. And it has , and I have always respected you here. So , I'll try to help before I'm out for the day.

Yes , I personally like and collect cool covers. The better the front , yes ! The BC is an after thought for me. I want it intact to be sure ,and no holes or dirty and can live w/ a couple of small tears. However , it's the glossy cool cover and artwork that keeps me going thru my long boxes when I have the time.And , I believe there are many collectors here the same. Obviously if I was slabbing and/or a high grade collector that would be different.

I am a cover freak too Brian, I guess I was just surprised by your cavalier attitude about damage to the BC being offset by the FC regarding pressing. Or at least your initial reaction to it when the damage happened anyways.

Thanks for the reply, have a good weekend.

B~

I am a cover freak too Brian, I guess I was just surprised by your cavalier attitude about damage to the BC being offset by the FC regarding pressing. Or at least your initial reaction to it when the damage happened.

Thanks for the reply, have a good weekend.

Actually , that waffle look was very faint except on a handful of books and by far on Divad's. I didn't recall when I was selling but I knew one or two books were noticeably bad that I had , like they were almost shifted while in the press and/or extra paper got caught in with it. Anyway , I guess Ive been to lazy or whatever this year to go thru and check and attempt to fix anything.. I am fairly certain Divad got one of those and I really didn't even think about it or think he would care.

My mistake. I tend to blow and go and could be a bit more detailed oriented in some areas.

B~

Seriously, I'd be a little bummed out if I received a solid 9.4/9.6 front cover on a book, but then turned it around and the back cover was way off grade.

I've never seen a book with this waffling though, so not sure how bad it can look. But it can't be good if enough folks were upset.

At least Hooks is being honest about it and offering to refund anyone not pleased with what they received.