• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOOKS amatuer home pressing thread !

195 posts in this topic

I realize that the high priests want to protect the fabled mystical art from falling into the hands of the neophytes and intolerable misanthropes, but perhaps divulging some of the empirical specifics of the techniques employed might actually help some viewers develop a more positive and learned view towards restoration?

Do tell.

:popcorn:

What restoration?

That aside, I just don't get the motivation behind what you were doing Hooks. I think you're a nice guy, and a good boardie. But I mean, were you even evalutating your pressing work? How could you not have noticed what you were doing to these books? The pattern from the pad of the press is fairly obvious. Did you just not notice???

Ok, I'm not here to debate the definitions. I was more explicitly referring to pressing. Just thought this was a good opportunity for those who press to be a bit more forthcoming on the details, as many of us want to understand it a bit more descriptively. :foryou: I can see that it is not headed in that direction, though.

Good grief, could the boards get any crazier?

If you start a thread like this you should probably stick around to answer questions...

I just don't think it is beneficial for the board to release such information. I doubt pressing is something that can be taught through a step-by-step, written process. Experience and trial & error are the only sure methods of education when talking about something of this sort. Or at least, that's what I believe.

I am more interested in knowing how/why Hooks continued to press books after seeing the results he did.

If you start a thread like this you should probably stick around to answer questions...

It's like starting a small fire in the middle of your living room on your way out to catch a movie, and expecting everything to be hunky dory when you return. If you'd stuck around you could have kept it under control, but...

Hooks,

I guess I'll start by asking what do you want to do to make this right if anything?

I believe he said he would refund 100% if you just asked him to do so. (shrug)

I always offer 100% $$ back guarantee and have always done so immediately if there was a issue.

Here is Hooks post from the other thread:

Why no response from bhooks here? And how does the lack of response equate to the theory in the forum scams thread that linked to this one that bhooks is done here or whatever was said?

(shrug)

Hello guy's ! I guess I picked a bad time time to stay off the boards for a few days. I know how things can grow when answers are needed.

I have never had any issues during my couple of years here on the boards and don't intend to. I come here to joke around and have developed some great relationships and friends here. When I have had 2-3 sales threads over this period I don't recall more than 2-3 times that that were any issues whatsoever and they were w/ grading , shipping ,etc. I always offer 100% $$ back guarantee and have always done so immediately if there was a issue. I try to keep my comics in my collection and sell the other items that we get through our estate sale business. However , in a temp. cash crunch I have had to go thru and choose which one's that are the most saleable. That is what I did this time.

As I told Divad in a PM , I did get a machine last year at one of our sales after coming here and reading pressing debates all the time. I tried it on a couple dozen books and I thought it helped some but had a tend. to screw up the backs? So , I figured I would leave them alone. I actually just thought he was curious and kinda ribbing me b/c we rib one another and I assumed he was Ok w/ it b/c I had bought the book from him for approx. $90 and sold it back to him at approx. $30. I did offer him a refund when I felt like he didn't see much humor in the situation. He said he would take it and I auto. sent it to him prior to receiving the book back .

In my sales thread last year , I actually stated "home-pressed" after the grade,price,etc. and never heard anything about it. At the time I thought maybe it was too much disclosure b/c it wasn't "professionally pressed" , and this was pointed out to me. I haven't been on the boards as much this year and wasn't sure what , if any ruling had come down on disclosure , especially "non-professional" .

However , I should have done so , and remembered that this can be a hot-button issue with some.

In my rush to get the books scanned and listed this last time w/ a popcorn eating crowd I should have taken the time to examine each book more carefully in order to determine exactly any that I had messed with last year.

I did get several PM's with thanks for the nice books and price this time , but for whatever reason , if anyone is not completely satisfied w/ what they received , I will give them a full refund. I'm sure w/ out too much effort I could determine one's that were done if a buyer needs to know or is just curious.

I need to go deal w/ my kids , am am late , but I wanted to get a response in. I will be back later if there are any questions.

B~

BTW , I only had time read a couple of pages of a couple of threads and never found where it originated from and I probably missed a lot. If I didn't cover something , I will later.

B~

Say it ain't so Hooksie, say it ain't so.....

Since I'm too cheap to buy a press (nor do I really want to know the process or be inclined to practice it myself), after reading this thread I'm emboldened to try my hand at it with my old waffle iron.

I think I'll start with my Supes 11....or Bill, maybe you can let me try it out on your Reilly Fantastic # 6?

meh

It's like starting a small fire in the middle of your living room on your way out to catch a movie, and expecting everything to be hunky dory when you return. If you'd stuck around you could have kept it under control, but...

Not on the shag! NOT ON THE SHAG!!!!

Hooks,

I guess I'll start by asking what do you want to do to make this right if anything?

I always offer 100% $$ back guarantee and have always done so immediately if there was a issue.

I guess I meant the whole lack of disclosure. That seems to be what has upset people the most, even the ones that didn't purchase. I for one would have still bought the book if he disclosed the pressing, but only if it turned out well.

I realize that the high priests want to protect the fabled mystical art from falling into the hands of the neophytes and intolerable misanthropes, but perhaps divulging some of the empirical specifics of the techniques employed might actually help some viewers develop a more positive and learned view towards restoration?

Do tell.

:popcorn:

What restoration?

That aside, I just don't get the motivation behind what you were doing Hooks. I think you're a nice guy, and a good boardie. But I mean, were you even evalutating your pressing work? How could you not have noticed what you were doing to these books? The pattern from the pad of the press is fairly obvious. Did you just not notice???

I'm at dinner but , to be honest I thought that it made the cover look better and I for one am not really concerned about the BC. And , yes , I noticed that waffle look on some and I assume at the time I judged that it was offset by a better cover so the grade didn't really change. I figured any book that had been pressed probably looked much better than the grade I gave it , not to mention I sell everything close to 1/2 off. So , with mid-grade collectors which would have been the buyers in this thread for the most part (other than Divad) they got better than they anticipated had it been one that I had practiced one.I received one Pm from a buyer who said "Thank you"! "That is the most gorgeous SA book I have ever seen ! I don't care but has it been pressed ? I said yes (assuming it must have been one that I pressed).

BTW , I don't mind taking a little sh#$@t especially b/c there may be an unhappy customer out there ,and I will do whatever to make sure their satisfied , but anyone w/ their pitchforks out calling me a *spoon* and attacking integrity can *spoon* off. Last time I checked in on a pressing debate I got the impression that it was up to an individual to disclose if it had been sent off for professional pressing? And I stated "home-pressed" in my previous SA , and could have or should have done so here. I sure wasn't trying to conceal anything , I mean JEEZ ! I sold the book back to Divad b/c I was in raising $$ mode.. I lost 2/3rd from what I bought it from him for. If someone is trying to get on their pressing high horse , this isn't a very good one. Someone running that kinda racket wouldn't stay in business long.I would assume that someone who did it themselves is taking a risk of it being returned or whatever.

Gotta run..

Serious questions I'll be glad to answer..

No need for those that just like to stir up sh%$#t and conspiracy cr%^$#p.

B~

Hooks,

I guess I'll start by asking what do you want to do to make this right if anything? After getting my book from you, I was very happy with the quality of the book and its appearance. It wasn't until David's tread that I took the book out again and looked at the back cover only to find evidence of a bad press.

NFBC1.jpg

I'm not a high grade collector and I rarely send in books to get graded, but I guess if I did decide to send this one in, I wonder what CGC would give it with the waffled back cover? Anyway, just wondering what you are trying to say/resolve/explain by starting the thread?

Holy cow.

waffle.jpg

Mrs. Butterworth........... :cloud9:

Hooks,

I guess I meant the whole lack of disclosure. That seems to be what has upset people the most, even the ones that didn't purchase. I for one would have still bought the book if he disclosed the pressing, but only if it turned out well.

Agreed ! I Should had done it this time around.

THX.

B~

Yes, these boards are crazy the last few weeks. All kinds of goofy stuff happening. Endless threads, on everything from moldy boxes to large money deals gone bad. I want to know if anyone thinks we could make a video and sell it. "COMIC COLLECTING GONE WILD!!" lol

DRX

Hooks,

If he didn't disclose and you want to send it back, then send it back and get a refund. I didn't read where his refund policy was conditional.

I understand what Hooks did and how some people do not like it. I think he has been effectively outed and he is offering to make amends. He's a bonehead, not a crook.

I want to know if anyone thinks we could make a video and sell it. "COMIC COLLECTING GONE WILD!!" lol

DRX

I don't want to see any of you topless.

Sorry Bill . I attempted some pressing last year, disclosed home-pressing last year in my S -thread and it got a resounding "thud" (meaning no-one said anything and books sold normally.) I really didn't put as much thought into it this time as I figured it had been concluded that some feel you should disclose and some feel that you don't but should tell if asked. I actually fall in the disclose up front and will ALWAYS do so in the future. BTW , It had no effect one way or the other in the sale that I disclosed.

B~

Sorry Bill . I attempted some pressing last year, disclosed home-pressing last year in my S -thread and it got a resounding "thud" (meaning no-one said anything and books sold normally.) I really didn't put as much thought into it this time as I figured it had been concluded that some feel you should disclose and some feel that you don't but should tell if asked. I actually fall in the disclose up front. It had no effect one way or the other in the sale that I disclosed.

B~

No worries. I'm sure you'll make it right with the buyers. Lesson learned I'm sure.

You should've at least used a film or pad between the comic covers and the irons textured surface. My husband and I experimented with several crappy not worth much books before we decided to press anything worth money. We tried several different types of padding until we found a film sheeting made out of a mylite type material that presses without any waffleness. Again just to clarify I do not press books and sell them without disclosing it or anything. I mostly press books from my own collection so that they lie nicely in the bag and don't get further damaged.

I have used a screw down type book press for other types fo ephemera but not comics.