• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics Now 4 Bucks

85 posts in this topic

And to add insult to injury, the USM was speechless. Took me about two minutes to read

Sad.

Not only are video games more fun, but they're more social, and a much better bang for your buck. With multiplayer gaming, you can spend $60 and get hundreds or even thousands(if you have no job) of hours of entertainment.

Oh, I know. I've been playing WOW on and off since '04. It ends up being pennies per hour versus forty bucks an hr for comics. :cry:

I'm burned out, though. Summer is for family and working out and making money and vacations.

This winter, when my nunu's are inside my tummy, I'll prolly pick up an axe again.

I do wish I could find a little less intense MMORPG to play. I've been thinking about trying out that 5 dollar a month Disney fantasy one, but I'm afraid it's too kiddee.

I do wish I could find a little less intense MMORPG to play.

See, I stay away from MMORPGs because I don't have the time to devote. I'm more of a fighting game fan, myself. Once you have the basic skills down (timing, hand coordination) and understand the mechanics of the game you're playing, it doesn't take much of a commitment to play. You can pick up and play whenever you feel like it, and fights typically last no more than 3-4 minutes so you can play a few here and there. And unlike stat based games, you only get better by actually improving your skills, so it's rewarding as well.

I heart Street Fighter IV. :cloud9:

Go get Street Fighter and challenge me. :wishluck:

Dude, SF IV rocks hard, and the online works flawlessly.

Just wait until the graphic novel for all of these issues comes out. It saves you money in the long run.

This is true but if enough people do it then the title is canceled and so is any future trade. Now they could just produce a trade once every 4 to 6 months, but that creates other problems. First would you try a new title if you had to drop $19.95? Also this would close all but the biggest of shops.

It's like watching a crash in slow-motion. I can see a day when it's just to expensive to buy new issues and that will be the day the hobby dies. Maybe digital is the future, but I don't see any way around it.

It is funny in the 40s the comic cost 10 cents, it took 50 years (around 1990) to go up to a dollar. 20 years later it's up 4 times. What will it be in another 20 years?

I do wish I could find a little less intense MMORPG to play.

See, I stay away from MMORPGs because I don't have the time to devote. I'm more of a fighting game fan, myself. Once you have the basic skills down (timing, hand coordination) and understand the mechanics of the game you're playing, it doesn't take much of a commitment to play. You can pick up and play whenever you feel like it, and fights typically last no more than 3-4 minutes so you can play a few here and there. And unlike stat based games, you only get better by actually improving your skills, so it's rewarding as well.

I heart Street Fighter IV. :cloud9:

oh trust me, there is plenty of hand eye coordination based skill in MMORPG's. There are some kids on WOW that can spank me fifteen ways to Sunday, but still, I take your point.

I don't really like first person shooters or fighter type games. I picked up the Sims 3, but hated it.

I guess I just need to keep looking.

there is plenty of hand eye coordination based skill in MMORPG's

Really? Isn't it mostly pointing and clicking, with the winner largely being determined by stats? I'm not being flip, I'm seriously asking as I've never played WOW.

To ask it another way, is it possible for someone with quicker reflexes and a lower level character to beat someone whose character is at a much higher level? (shrug)

I quit when they hit 40 cents.

That's when I started...lost interest by the time they hit 75 cents.

I think we discussed this in the Modern section months ago.

Started buying them when they were 20 cents (got a few 15 centers grandpa bought before I had change in my own pocket).

Started to "feel it" when they went to 40 cents...

I quit when they hit 60 cents and I couldn't get "two for a buck" anymore.

:(

For Canadians, it was only about a year ago that the Canadian price was removed from the cover of Marvel and DC comics. Before that, it was common to see a $2.99 USD book with a $4.25 CDN price point. It was worse five years ago: I'm now looking at a comic from 2004 that is $3.99 USD and $6.00 CDN.

What kid can afford to collect comics anymore? I started buying when comics were 25 cents, and sometimes splurged when I saw a double-sized 50 center. When comics hit 40 to 50 cents, in my kid mind I knew that comics were no longer something that I could afford on my measly allowance. Today, at my LCS I never see kids buying comics; just adults. I guess today's kids are smarter than today's adults.

I only buy 4 or 5 issues a month so I am good right now if my books go to 3.99

If we have to have a price increase, it is unfortunate that it has to be a whole dollar...even having said that though, I was an art major in college, so I have a hard time complaining about these guys earning good money making art. Art which I very much enjoy.

I love video games also, I have had an Xbox360 since they came out, and you definately get more bang for your buck...however, I don't keep games after I am done with them...I keep the comics and I love going back and looking at them. I pull out my Frank Miller Daredevils(the real reason I fell in love with comics). I look at the covers and think about just how crazy good those stories were. I had to pay back issue prices just to read those...well over 3.99...worth every penny...great memories...that's why I buy them now.

Here you go this is from my copy of Tales of the Unexpected #69 from March of 1962. Sorry for the poor image it's from my iPhone, the boy is playing WoW on the computer that has the scanner. I know it blurry at the top so I will reproduce the first paragraph.

First, we would like to thank you for having bought this DC magazine, even though it cost you two cents more than usual. Obviously, you like our magazine and consider our stories worth the extra two pennies. That makes us feel mighty proud:

PriceIncreasExpjpg.jpg

I wonder if Marvel will do the same. meh

there is plenty of hand eye coordination based skill in MMORPG's

Really? Isn't it mostly pointing and clicking, with the winner largely being determined by stats? I'm not being flip, I'm seriously asking as I've never played WOW.

To ask it another way, is it possible for someone with quicker reflexes and a lower level character to beat someone whose character is at a much higher level? (shrug)

I didn't think you were being flippant, and yes, absolutely.

I swear, I can tell when I'm playing against someone who is aged 17-25 by how quickly they hand me my azz.

Yes, stats matter. Yes, gear matters. Yes, class matters. But speed, reflexes, timing, hand/eye and sheer gut reflexes and ability matter as well.

There are two aspects of gaming. Raiding, which is you and your buddies against the zone, dungeon, bosses. It doesn't matter as much how good you are, except when people start crunching the numbers and pointing out how much of a scrub you are for posting low numbers. (I did pretty good. Middle of the road to high end, but nowhere near the uuber leet.)

PVPing, which is where the little kids really shine. Sheesh. I did okay here, but was nowhere above average. I could beat plenty of toons in one on ones or on two, but got killed just as often as not. But there are some cats that are just phenoms.

Yeah, there's a huge level of skill involved.

(I even bought a Merc Stealth keyboard to help me go from a point and clicker to a keyboard turner, and yes, it was worth the steep learning curve!)

thanks for posting the photo. That reminds me of a funny story.

I started reading when they were alreayd 12 cents and they had alomst the exact same explanation page when they went to 15 cents. I was visiting my older out of state cousins and ended up reading some of their older books and found the first 12 center with the page you showed. I was just floored. The cousin ended up giving me his entire Blackhawk collection to take home with me and read ( I still have them). I ended up giving up buying and reading due to three factors:

The price increase

Legion losing Adventure COmics to Supergirl &

Graduating from Jr High

I started collecting again about 15 years later when a friend showed me a comicbook store and the owner got me hooked on the Crisis series. By then the price was up to 75 cents but at least I was making enough to afford them, and have been buying and reading them ever since. With each price increase I drop a title or 2. If they go from $3 to $4 I may give up most of the rest and only buy older books.