• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 MH ad

46 posts in this topic

Wow, I forgot how expensive those X-books were compared to everything else. They were the hottest things on the planet.

Thanks for the flash back!

To be all honest, even if you had a time machine, you most likely would never get the Key X-men books (94 or GS#1) Not sure about the hulk 181. I tried back then to get them but they never seemed to have one available and would always send back an alternate selection. So I tried to hold out till one came available by not having an alternate (paid waiting list). I think I waited almost a year before I gave up....

To be all honest, even if you had a time machine, you most likely would never get the Key X-men books (94 or GS#1) Not sure about the hulk 181. I tried back then to get them but they never seemed to have one available and would always send back an alternate selection. So I tried to hold out till one came available by not having an alternate (paid waiting list). I think I waited almost a year before I gave up....

Very true. They were impossible to find. How times change....

Ads like this are interesting to look over, as they give a decent idea of what books people were looking for back then.

Highest priced books in the ad are;

$60 - Conan 1

$60 - X-Men 94

$60 - GSX 1

$40 - IM 1

$40 - Conan 3 (book was regionally scarce, rarity turned out to be overblown)

$28 - DD 158

$27.50 - X-Men 95

$25 - X-Men 100

$25 - X-Men 101

$24 - Conan 2

$24 - Avengers 93

You can really see how popular Miller was in '83. The PPSS breakout for 27 & 28 are really striking.

Marvel Fanfare 2, only $10! That book was hot for half a minute.

The ASM 129 not being broken out wasn't that odd, since the mini - and Punisher's subsequent popularity explosion - didn't happen until a couple of years later.

It's interesting that Cap 100 is only $6, Spotlight 2 is $4 and 5 is only $5.50. Spidey 50? $6. Dr. Strange 169...tree fiddy.

One wonders if these prices were this way because this was essentially a "low grade" ad. Even back then it wouldn't surprise me to find that Chuck had reams of low grade copies of these Marvel keys

Ads like this are interesting to look over, as they give a decent idea of what books people were looking for back then.

One wonders if these prices were this way because this was essentially a "low grade" ad. Even back then it wouldn't surprise me to find that Chuck had reams of low grade copies of these Marvel keys

What`s even more amazing after just checking his site, most low grade copies of non-keys that were going $.75 cents to $1.00 in the 1983 ad are still going for $.75 cents to $1.00! which proves that it`s mostly all about High grade keys.

what junk was then is still junk now monetarily speaking.

storywise you can still get cheap great reads.

I have a Hulk 181 in similar condition to the one pictured above, and someone offered me $50 for it...

Now, is $50 worth of 2009 money worth more or less than $17.50 of 1983 money...?

:D

-slym

$17.50 of '83 money is worth $37.58 in '09 money...

I actually bought stuff from that add (or one like it from Mile High). Mostly 1970's Spideys. #144 I remember particularly. They were probably out of stock on 20% of the books at any given time, but the grades were solid FN to VF on the stuff I got.

On a related note, the image below is the centerfold from Sensational She-Hulk #5, a sequence where She-Hulk had to rip thru the pages of the comic to get where she need to be.

bigbuxcomix.jpg

Actually, a lot of the books in that MH ad are obscenely priced by today's standards. For instance.... Star Wars #1 (keep in mind: VG) is listed at $6.00. That's about $12 in today's money, and you could easily find a #1 in VG for $12 or less, especially considering I saw a raw NM one for sale on the Boards for $50.

Good stuff, I haven't seen one of those old MH ads in quite a bit... COOLNESS! :golfclap:

Human Fly #1 for only $1?! :o Man, now there's an undervalued title, eh? (thumbs u

* So, w/ 25+ yrs. of inflation that issue works out to be, like... still $1, right? meh

The only time I have had an order from MH was from way back then, through one of these ads - my mother bought the entire Dark Phoenix saga from them for my Christmas present in 1983. All issues were at least VF, and I still have them to this day.

-slym

I ordered a few times from MH back in the 80s and while I can't remember what I ordered I do remember what I was never able to get. FF #1112. I wanted the Hulk vs. Thing story and even though I sent for it 3 times each time the order came back with everything but this book.

The other thing I remember is there catalog. It was packed with everything from the SA to current day. The price for a NM copy of AF 15 was $900.00. Same for FF #1 and $800.00 for ASM #1. I am sure this was over priced at the time and was never in stock, but when you are 12 years old anything is possible.

Good stuff, I haven't seen one of those old MH ads in quite a bit... COOLNESS! :golfclap:

Human Fly #1 for only $1?! :o Man, now there's an undervalued title, eh? (thumbs u

* So, w/ 25+ yrs. of inflation that issue works out to be, like... still $1, right? meh

Human Fly #1 can be bought for .70 cents right now at Mile High, most of the non-low grade keys are actually cheaper then the 1983 ad.

I leave you with what is probably my favorite .gif, and one that I never get to use in regular conversation. I guess the subject of leather boys cutting lawns doesn't come up much.

R.I.P. Chappelle's Show!

dj.gif

:roflmao::applause: