• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning about complaining to silver-arce on ebay!
1 1

111 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it's no surprise. Silveracre has been discussed many times before on the boards. They are completely petty and will cheerfully screw you over to eke out a few more bucks...and it's unfortunate, as years ago I had considered them a worthwhile dealer and had spent some good money with them.

Why, here's an entertaining read... hm

(edit: Hello Nick! I see we were thinking along the same lines.) :hi:

Petty is an understatement.

I once ordered a few hundred magazine bags from him, to be collected from a Manchester, England comic mart, which at the time I attended regularly.

When I arrived, he told me he'd decided to sell them all to someone else shortly before, and "unfortunately" :( had none left.

Then he said, very forcefully, "It's OK that?! - Isn't it?! - Yeah?!"

That is, attempted to browbeat me, on my first order with him, into accepting that this selfishness and total lack of concern was somehow acceptable behaviour. (Oh, the mart had only been open an hour, so I wasn't late-in-the-day or anything.)

I thought quietly to myself, "How utterly pathetic and desperate. All over a few comic bags." :mad:(tsk)

I then said, "Well, you could fill my missing order by mail?", to which he replied, in a very angry tone, and pointing extremely aggressively at my face... :o(tsk)

"Yeah, and you'll pay the postage!!"

(This was in front of a pal of mine who has a table at the mart, by the way. I always like to give some indication that I can be substantiated.)

So, regardless of the nature or value of the order you place, a few cheap bags or a CGC Batman 1, the misbehaviour never seems to stop. Personally, this makes my skin crawl, literally, and I can't be far enough away from it. One of many here in Britain, apparently.

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it's no surprise. Silveracre has been discussed many times before on the boards. They are completely petty and will cheerfully screw you over to eke out a few more bucks...and it's unfortunate, as years ago I had considered them a worthwhile dealer and had spent some good money with them.

Why, here's an entertaining read... hm

(edit: Hello Nick! I see we were thinking along the same lines.) :hi:

Petty is an understatement.

I once ordered a few hundred magazine bags from him, to be collected from a Manchester, England comic mart, which at the time I attended regularly.

When I arrived, he told me he'd decided to sell them all to someone else shortly before, and "unfortunately" :( had none left.

Then he said, very forcefully, "It's OK that?! - Isn't it?! - Yeah?!"

That is, attempted to browbeat me, on my first order with him, into accepting that this selfishness and total lack of concern was somehow acceptable behaviour. (Oh, the mart had only been open an hour, so I wasn't late-in-the-day or anything.)

I thought quietly to myself, "How utterly pathetic and desperate. All over a few comic bags." :mad:(tsk)

I then said, "Well, you could fill my missing order by mail?", to which he replied, in a very angry tone, and pointing extremely aggressively at my face... :o(tsk)

"Yeah, and you'll pay the postage!!"

(This was in front of a pal of mine who has a table at the mart, by the way. I always like to give some indication that I can be substantiated.)

So, regardless of the nature or value of the order you place, a few cheap bags or a CGC Batman 1, the misbehaviour never seems to stop. Personally, this makes my skin crawl, literally, and I can't be far enough away from it. One of many here in Britain, apparently.

Well that about sums him up...

Man he really is a scumbag. I'm going to have to find out where he's going to be attending now and get to meet him face to face...

I think its weird that when some sellers get too big they forget the roots & reason they started selling in the first place, good grading appears to go out the door, along with decent pricing. Looks like alot of the main dealers go for the 'sod it someone will buy it someday'. They really shoot themselves in the foot as I would have saved up for the expensive stuff. Oh well no great loss for me,its them whos losing out. and anyway, I went back onto ebay & found the same comic, cheaper & it nm condition from the states! :banana:

Send Sliver Arse a thank you. He did you a favour. Sounds like he only cares about his instant bottom line rather than customer loyalty.

spelling title is a play-on words, that way he cant try and be a funny tewat & say I'm bad mouthing his company. (that & the fact that I am really bad at sepilling). Think his past conduct say it all. Dont think I would have stood for the finger in face pointing thou. I feel a back of the hand, bee-tch slap coming on... Think a great man once said, he can bend over and smell my inner vapours! ;)

Edited by everlongcomics

He's the guy I sold our collection to back in 1995. Talk about cold. Broke my heart when he slammed the van door shut and sped off without saying bye. :cry:

He's the guy I sold our collection to back in 1995. Talk about cold. Broke my heart when he slammed the van door shut and sped off without saying bye. :cry:

I'm really sorry to hear this.

It makes me feel gutted just thinking about it.

I try not to think about it too much, but every time i hear his name it fills me with bitterness

Did he pay you a fair price at least?

I was after around 2000 and he paid 1350 telling me he couldnt afford more. after i agreed he pulled out a huge wad of 20's counted them out and put most back in his pocket. i was 23 and naive (to say the least) and needed the cash.

if i had sold to a dealer / collector who appreciated the books and was friendly i wouldnt care so much, but Darryl was a true arce. neil

Edited by nmtg9

Frankly I'm a little surprised that you would put Quicksilver in this thread. I know Richard for a long time and would never put him in the same league as Darryl. In fact I wouldn't even put him in this thread.

Have either of you Quicksilver posters ever spoken to Richard about the book or books you weren't happy with.

Having dealt with Richard, i would say that should not be mentioned in the same breath as Daryl, but his grading does leave a lot to be desired,

Indeed. I bought quite a few comics from in May and most were overgraded. I shan't order with him again.

Bob, I've dealt with Richard and while it may be unfair to compare him to Darryl in terms of honesty, I've found his grading to be very bad. I bought a few lots of low/mid grade early SA and every book was consistently a full grade overgraded (FN+ = VG+). I even showed the bunch to FT who agreed with my opinion. Richard did refund me but wasn't happy about it.

I've since seen the grades he's given comics on ebay and it's convinced me that it wasn't a one off.

Furthermore a freind of mine visited the Quicksilver warehouse earlier in the year and told me that he didn't think the grading was at all accurate. Overall there is no question in my mind.

Frankly I'm a little surprised that you would put Quicksilver in this thread. I know Richard for a long time and would never put him in the same league as Darryl. In fact I wouldn't even put him in this thread.

Have either of you Quicksilver posters ever spoken to Richard about the book or books you weren't happy with.

Having dealt with Richard, i would say that should not be mentioned in the same breath as Daryl, but his grading does leave a lot to be desired,

Indeed. I bought quite a few comics from in May and most were overgraded. I shan't order with him again.

Bob, I've dealt with Richard and while it may be unfair to compare him to Darryl in terms of honesty, I've found his grading to be very bad. I bought a few lots of low/mid grade early SA and every book was consistently a full grade overgraded (FN+ = VG+). I even showed the bunch to FT who agreed with my opinion. Richard did refund me but wasn't happy about it.

I've since seen the grades he's given comics on ebay and it's convinced me that it wasn't a one off.

Furthermore a freind of mine visited the Quicksilver warehouse earlier in the year and told me that he didn't think the grading was at all accurate. Overall there is no question in my mind.

This does seem to be the consensus, nice guy but overgrades (shrug)

While a seller should provide the exact same item in the picture, there's really no significant difference between a newsstand copy and direct copy from that period. In fact, the newsstand copies are the ones that are guaranteed to be first prints. If the book was in the expected condition, I'd be slightly annoyed, but I wouldn't demand a replacement.

But, you were within your rights to complain, and I am certainly in no way defending SA.

I've bought from Quicksilver once and was very disappointed with the grading. Sought a refund on several items, which was given without fuss. So while I wouldn't buy from Richard again, I can have no complaints about the customer service.

I've purchased from Silveracre on a couple of occasions when I was returning to the hobby and didn't know any better. No major issues (there was over-grading of course), but on the back of what I've heard about him since, I won't be buying from Darryl "Regards Anyway" Jones again.

I try not to think about it too much, but every time i hear his name it fills me with bitterness

Did he pay you a fair price at least?

I was after around 2000 and he paid 1350 telling me he couldnt afford more. after i agreed he pulled out a huge wad of 20's counted them out and put most back in his pocket. i was 23 and naive (to say the least) and needed the cash.

if i had sold to a dealer / collector who appreciated the books and was friendly i wouldnt care so much, but Darryl was a true arce. neil

Thanks, (thumbs u

I would imagine there will always be another buyer for his books but treating people poorly must impact his long term sales.