• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning about complaining to silver-arce on ebay!
1 1

111 posts in this topic

I try not to think about it too much, but every time i hear his name it fills me with bitterness

I've mentioned this before, exactly the same thing happened with my original collection - which included OA - I sold to him for peanuts... but I guess I was consenting. Real regret though.

I have ordered from him since, sometimes ok but once sent the wrong comic and said something like "sorry you didn't like the deal" as if I'd somehow agreed to it. That still irritates me.

Here's a pic...

You'll note he's found a novel way of pressing his comics.

p.s. can one of the wiz's change the headline of this article?

oct031.jpg

I've only dealt with him once, and aside from him being a rather difficult negotiator I never had any problems and thought the transaction went very smooth.

I bought two slabs, one for about $900 and another for about $100, a Strange Tales 101 CGC8.0 and another issue in the 110's. Not much over Overstreet for either. Paid by credit card and they were shipped out to me the next day and arrived only a few days later in Hong Kong. I'd deal with him again buying slabs.

I take your point but, personally speaking....

When I come across one of their slabs online I coldly think to myself...whatever, I'm sure someone on the Boards will eventually offer another copy of the book- same grade, page quality and probably at a much lower price, and so my attention immediately goes elsewhere.

That's just me.

Another UK dealer with bad grading is East Coast Comics, also known as Rybac on ebay. I think the guys name is Richard Crane. I've only asked for a refund 3 times in my collecting career, 1 of them was Quicksilver and another was Rybac. I bought from him on ebay and at a show (before I could grade any good) and both were badly graded. Then a long time later I wanted a modern that I'd missed and he had it on ebay and even that was poor condition. Not impressed.

I bought 4 'nm' Spidermans from him in the 117-139 range.

they came back from CGC as (all blue label)

9.2, 9.2, 9.4, 9.4

so I've had no real complaints with them.

I've known Daryl for a number of years and am very surprised that he is the subject of a stream of abusive posts - mostly from people who haven't dealt with him, and have never met him in person.  Anyone with a genuine grievance is entitled to air their views but some of the comments here are slanderous. 

On 8/2/2018 at 12:05 PM, Kanamit said:

I've known Daryl for a number of years and am very surprised that he is the subject of a stream of abusive posts - mostly from people who haven't dealt with him, and have never met him in person.  Anyone with a genuine grievance is entitled to air their views but some of the comments here are slanderous. 

Everyone who posted here has dealt with him.  Is everyone lying?

On 8/6/2018 at 11:20 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just because this thread needs a lighter tone.... :shy: 

raw even though it has been done to the point of..... still, good times!

is that quote right? I thought the guy who talked was named Larry and both his brothers were named Daryl.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiUjMCTpdzcAhUGIDQIHTqHCmMQFjALegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shmoop.com%2Fquotes%2Flarry-my-brother-darryl-my-other-brother-darryl.html&usg=AOvVaw1wBj0VHZFJyu269TpcPok2

On 8/2/2018 at 5:05 PM, Kanamit said:

EdIt

I decided to self moderate this post, just in case the Mods took it in the wrong spirit. 

Edited by Grantley Goddard

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

I think your right, but I chose this one because I remember a "3 Daryl" series. Maybe Larry ended up with 3 brothers....?

On 8/2/2018 at 5:05 PM, Kanamit said:

Anyone with a genuine grievance is entitled to air their views

Okay.

So then there’s no problem with what’s been said previously by us.

(shrug)

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/8/2018 at 2:00 AM, FineCollector said:

Everyone who posted here has dealt with him.  Is everyone lying?

DJ aka Kanamit: "Yes"

Everyone here: "No"

I know who I believe, and why.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:05 AM, Kanamit said:

I've known Daryl for a number of years and am very surprised that he is the subject of a stream of abusive posts - mostly from people who haven't dealt with him, and have never met him in person.  Anyone with a genuine grievance is entitled to air their views but some of the comments here are slanderous

Has anyone pointed out that slander is spoken yet?    No?  Yay, I win! :whee:

Maybe when Kanamit returns in 9 years to follow-up, he'll see that he should have said that the 9-year-old "stream" (is it still a "stream" if it hasn't moved in 9 years? hm) should have been described as 'libelous'.  :shy:

On 7/1/2009 at 8:19 AM, everlongcomics said:

Well this morning I was skimming through ebay before I headed off to work & saw something I was going to buy. Did the usual, logged into ebay & went to place a bid & oh, it says I'm blocked from buying? Quite strange I thought. Having a 100% positive feedback of over 1240 I thought it must be a mistake since I have bought from them before & there didn't seem to be a problem. So, I sent them a message, just asking, 'Hi, I saw an item you have for sale but I seem to be blocked from bidding can I ask why?'

This is the exact reply I got ...

'Hi, You complained about comic, as it had barcode on cover rather than bat symbol its not possible to check photos on every order and as you are 1 of only 2 in 10,000 plus who have mensioned this , its easier not to deal with you

Regards Anyway Darryl.

Now I remember what it was, was it a £500 comic that I complained about over grading? Did I pull a scam to get money back? nope.

I had bought something like Batman #416 for £2, when it was listed on ebay it showed the cover with the barcode box with a batman design. When the comic arrived it had a barcode design instead. Some of you might know that these Batmans from this era ran into 3rd & 4th printings. so the difference for the hardened collector is big when you are sent something different from what is listed. When I got the wrong comic, I did the right thing & emailed them & pointed out THEIR MISTAKE. A week or so went by & they sent me the right one & said sorry for their mistake.

so do you think they are right? should a customer be blocked from buying because of their mistake? Frankly I'm not bothered now, their grading wasn't really great, although it was an 'ebay nm'. Just to warn other collectors not to complain to them incase they take the hump & block you too! tossers eh? outstanding customer service! whats the loss of one more customer to them?

These sound like across the pond problems to me.