• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the ugliest ASM #1 ever?

31 posts in this topic

If I owned that, I would burst into tears every time I took it out to look at.

Actually, and I'm not a big fan of restoration, I'd love to see what a good restorer could do with this. It looks like the back of the book on TOP of this one adhered to the cover, and not the other way around, so the original paper is still there.

Any pro out there willing to rise to the challenge, buy it, and show us what you can do?

I think Scarface is right about overall damage to the book...but still, nothing a little Wonder Bread couldn't fix! insane.gif

And I do like the idea of a "restoration bake-off," featuring Susan C., Matt N. and other pro restorers, in which each is given an identically abused copy of a particular book - say a common SA comic that's in plentiful supply - and has 3 days to fix it up....those 3 days would occur during San Diego Con, on the show floor, where anyone could spectate during the entire process.

So I walk into a local shop today that I hadn't been to in forever and start talking to the owner about some old beat up books that I have. He says "You'll love this" and pulls out:

The Ugliest Amazing Spider-Man #1 ever!

I read this thread last night and thought it was hillarious but didn't really pay attention to the seller. Next day...holding it in my hands. The book could have been anywhere in the world yet it was right down the street. I have to admit, being a young collector who only dreams of an ASM 1, that the book didn't seem nearly as bad in person. He actually had a second copy that's a bit prettier that I'm thinking about "saving up for". The only thing better than randomly coming across that comic was having one ASM 1 in each hand. If only one of them had been an AF 15 cloud9.gif

Joe

p.s. Joey has internet in his store so I showed him the thread. He liked ddpgambits words of praise 27_laughing.gif

Someone popped the BIN.

I will admit I was tempted to take the gamble. My thinking is that a good washing could remove the stuff stuck on the cover. Then all it would need would be staple replacement, reinforcement and pressing, and this could be a solid VG. Really only slight to moderate restoration as no pieces are being added.

BUT.... when I saw the rust damage around the staples on the interior pages, I was no longer tempted. Every single page would need to be built up around the staples. Now you're talking about an expensive and extensive resto job frown.gif