• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 Count em' 3 GI JOE #21's in 9.8...it's blinding

61 posts in this topic

It introduces a character that joe fans like a fair bit.

It's also a "silent issue" with no dialogue. Whoop dee fricking doo right? The writer probably laughed his off that it actually got approved :)

Why the F is this book so hot/expensive?

this book was supposedly HTF in CGC 9.8, that is until pressing became rampant. :baiting:

No kidding!

I wonder how many of those 83 CGC 9.6s in the census were pressed into one of the 15 copies now in the CGC 9.8 category?

I personally would have broken these up and sold them individually over the next few months. Probably would have done much better that way. Seems weird to throw them up in a lot all together...but maybe the fella needed cash (shrug)

there was a local guy here that dug up some rare ginger bottles. He would sell one, wait a little, sell another, wait a little, sell another. He made a lot more money this way.

I personally would have broken these up and sold them individually over the next few months. Probably would have done much better that way. Seems weird to throw them up in a lot all together...but maybe the fella needed cash (shrug)

there was a local guy here that dug up some rare ginger bottles. He would sell one, wait a little, sell another, wait a little, sell another. He made a lot more money this way.

Sometimes one in the hand is better than two in the bush.

(shrug)

There are times when I can use the cash. I sell something, take a little less than I normally could get if I had waited longer and move on.

(thumbs u

It's also a "silent issue" with no dialogue. Whoop dee fricking doo right? The writer probably laughed his off that it actually got approved :)

Well, who's ever heard of mouthy ninjas? Would it have made more sense for them to throw out line after line of cheesy Peter Parker-esque fight dialog?

$1,200 each seems like a stiff price to me! A 9.2 copy of Tales/Crypt 20 (#1) just sold for $1,400 - I'd much rather have that! But to each their own... I really don't understand modern stuff.

Well, who's ever heard of mouthy ninjas? Would it have made more sense for them to throw out line after line of cheesy Peter Parker-esque fight dialog?

How about a story I can't read in 30 seconds in exchange for my money? Too much to ask?

Isn't it interesting that we either a) critique a seller when he doesn't sell for as much we think he should, or b) critique a buyer when he pays way more than we think he should.

From my perspective $1200 for a G.I Joe 21 is a lot of dough. Congrats to the seller for a huge profit, even if he did leave money on the table.

The current high bid is $1225 on that GI JOE #21 CGC 9.8 on eBay...

If I had just bought three 9.8 copies on eBay at $1200, I'd certainly want any other auctions to at least reach this level... lol

(Note that something similar is happening with the glut of Harbinger #1 9.8s on eBay. One person/company was buying MULTIPLE Harbinger #1s and essentially propping up the market temporarily.)

(Note that something similar is happening with the glut of Harbinger #1 9.8s on eBay. One person/company was buying MULTIPLE Harbinger #1s and essentially propping up the market temporarily.)

How original. Buy up a large portion of the inventory so you create a limited market.

Sounds like someone that buys up all the Albedo 2s, Hulk 181s, and House of Secret 92s he can get his hands on, then jacks the price up 150% of guide.

Transformers and GI Joe are like Amazing Spider-man and Fantastic Four to my generation,I was 6 when then came out, seems like some of the old guard still think of them as dumb toy comics, oldtimers should get use to these prices being in this ballpark(maybe slighly lower when hype dies down.)

with more upcoming movies,more fans will be introduced to them, heck Hollywood will greenlight another Transformer movie before another Superman or Fantastic Four movie. 2c

Transformers and GI Joe are like Amazing Spider-man and Fantastic Four to my generation,I was 6 when then came out, seems like some of the old guard still think of them as dumb toy comics, oldtimers should get use to these prices being in this ballpark(maybe slighly lower when hype dies down.)

with more upcoming movies,more fans will be introduced to them, heck Hollywood will greenlight another Transformer movie before another Superman or Fantastic Four movie. 2c

I'm of the same generation and for my 2c that is way overstated. Spiderman and FF are the Spiderman and FF of our generation. Only in our case it was Byrne FF not kirby, and McFarlane spidey not ditko.

The *toys* and cartoon were big with our group, but the comics were pretty lame.

I'm of the same generation and for my 2c that is way overstated. Spiderman and FF are the Spiderman and FF of our generation. Only in our case it was Byrne FF not kirby, and McFarlane spidey not ditko.

The *toys* and cartoon were big with our group, but the comics were pretty lame.

Definitely (I'm part of that generation as well). When I think GI Joe / Transformers, I think toys, not comics - I always thought the GI Joe comics in particular were kinda lame.

Have you ever read the Simon Furman Transformers? they put MCFARLANE Spideys to shame and Larry Hama was as good a writer as John Byrne.

I read maybe the first twenty issues. I don't know if those are furman's or not (not?) but its irrelevant. I'm not talking about quality I'm talking about impact, and the GI Joe and Transformers books had relatively little impact at the time when compared to Byrne FF, mcfarlane spidey, dark knight, killing joke, et al. They were moderately popular, but nowhere near the top tier, and nowhere near as important as the toys and cartoons.

Have you ever read the Simon Furman Transformers? they put MCFARLANE Spideys to shame and Larry Hama was as good a writer as John Byrne.

I'm not bashing the genre you enjoy. That is a personal choice whether or not GI Joe and Transformers are worth collecting, and I respect that.

But that GI Joe 21 is just ridiculously priced compared to other books of its time. Look at books like "Death in the Family" and how hard it is to happen across 9.8 copies because of those black covers. Those don't even go as high as this book, and they are much tougher to find.

To see the census on 9.8s go up 400% in 6 months says quite a bit about the scarcity of high grade copies, though, and I wouldn't be surprised that we see 25-30 total count of CGC 9.8s by end-of-year.