• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst gimmicky covers of the 1990's

137 posts in this topic

Haven't seen any holigrams yet ...

SSpM189.jpg

Hey, as we've seen you can do a lot worse for for 1990's dollar. :flamed:

Honestly, I really liked those covers back in the day. I recall those being 'real' holigrams, being shot from an actual 3-D sculpture, and not just a layered 2-D effect. :grin:

Makes a nice colorful, slabtastic-set if you have all 4... 2c

* ... which I do. meh

A little more foil. Tame, by foil standards ...

SSpM200.jpg

They did four separate issues at about the same time with this same webfoil, Venom 1 (red foil), SSM 200 (silver foil), Web of SM 100 (green foil), Amazing Spider-Man 375 (gold foil) and then followed up Venom 1 with a gold foil second print (a double gimmick!)

The crazy thing is that there were some error editions where the foil did not adhere to the comic and the comics actually look better without them! The black Venom 1 is a much better cover and it would have been cheaper to produce. The white Spidey 375 also looks cooler without the silver foil. There is a white Venom 1 which is an error version of the gold foil edition and it also looks better than either foil version.

I am told there was a red background error for SSM 200 but I have never seen one. But if you imagine this cover with Spidey and the Goblin battling on a bright red background, I think it would be better than the silver foil.

And I have never heard about a Web 100 error. And it would be hard to make a cover featuring the introduction of "The Spider-Armor" look good but it would have to look better than green foil.

Howabout the Spidey one with the free Ramones tape?

Seriously? I knew about all these others, but never heard of this book. What issue?

05-19-19.JPG

Now wait a minute. First, the bands on the tape were great. I loved listening to the Ramones singing the theme song to Spider-Man. Second, if you put all four covers together (ASM 408, SpecSM 231, SenSM 1, SM 65), they made a giant spider. That's cool, right? OK, maybe not but I still think the tape was great.

Which reminds me, remember the puzzle cover variants that Image did that cross over like 16 titles and formed a giant picture?

Haven't seen any holigrams yet ...

SSpM189.jpg

Hey, as we've seen you can do a lot worse for for 1990's dollar. :flamed:

Honestly, I really liked those covers back in the day. I recall those being 'real' holigrams, being shot from an actual 3-D sculpture, and not just a layered 2-D effect. :grin:

* ... which I do. meh

Agreed. Now, these little holodisks ... I could do without ...

SSpM225.jpg

Wow, this thread is like a bad dream. Other than Wolvie 50 (which must have been early - a pre-1990 edition) and maybe the ASM hologram, I don't own any of these and I think I was long gone from Moderns at that point.

Wow, this thread is like a bad dream. Other than Wolvie 50 (which must have been early - a pre-1990 edition) and maybe the ASM hologram, I don't own any of these and I think I was long gone from Moderns at that point.

Wolverine #50 was late '91 and the ASM holos were '92. You either stayed on for longer than you remember, or (probably) you acquired those later on and not when they came out.

Wolverine #50 was late '91 and the ASM holos were '92. You either stayed on for longer than you remember, or (probably) you acquired those later on and not when they came out.

No, I was still collecting into 1992, but dropped out around the time Bloodshot #1 was released. I remember seeing that one and thinking "Valiant is DOA", whereby I sold/traded in all my Valiant books to the store for BA, and I never bought another Modern after that day.

Sometimes I do know when to get out.

I had a friend who picked up a "black variant" of Iron Man # 300--printing error where it didn't have the foil, just like Venom # 1.

Only difference was that nobody really promoted it and/or cared.

Ditto--I've seen two different Deathmate books without foil.

As for the Marvel gold second prints, I remember both the time that Ghost Rider 5 (gold) went for more than the 1st print and even two years ago X-Men # 303 gold was going for more than the first print online.

Finally, I'm still a big believer in X-Men # 11 (sliver)--came free with the X-Men board game.

No, I was still collecting into 1992, but dropped out around the time Bloodshot #1 was released. I remember seeing that one and thinking "Valiant is DOA", whereby I sold/traded in all my Valiant books to the store for BA, and I never bought another Modern after that day.

(thumbs u

I actually sold all my Valiants in mid-93 (been collecting them since Magnus #1) and bought them all back in late '99-early '00 for an average of 10-20 cents each.

It's one of my few success stories in collecting. :acclaim:

I did exactly the same thing. But i got back in when Morrison and Porter revamped the JLA and have been treated to some super sweet Modern series since then. :cloud9:

I do not understand the problem with these "gimmick" covers. Some were stupid yes, some were ok. Were they overdone? yes by far, it would be nice to see every once in awhile "Special" Covers. I wouldn't mind seeing a foil variant from time to time.

I think you answered you own question. Being overdone was the problem. Not special when you have two foil covers in a three issue span (I posted #288 a bit earlier).

IM290.jpg