• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst gimmicky covers of the 1990's

137 posts in this topic

Wasn't there a Superman cover with colorform to design your own cover

Yeah, I had to buy it. It was Superman Vs Lobo. I'm a sucker for lobo stuff. lol

Also, my vote for worst overall cover would be silver sable 1 which was half foil and the cover sucked.

This one was quite profitable for me back then,the glow in the dark cover,I bought 20 copies off my lcs at 20 percent off cover then a month later sold them for $15 bucks a piece to another lcs. of course both lcs are long gone and out of business. the crazy early 1990`s.

:)

GhostRider15.jpg

I had that issue of GR hanging on the wall of my bedroom when it came out :)

Yes, GR 15 found it's way out of the box more times than not to sit under the lights for a while. This is another glow-in-the-dark cover that I had to have, even though I didn't collect the title at the time (tough to show a wraparound):

DD321f.jpg

DD321b.jpg

HA HA HA HA what a piece of trash. BTW it is 1993 smack dab in the middle.

:roflmao: Sorry Ed, this beats Eclipso!!!

Anyone have the lame-O FF that is all white & embossed from when the torch went "Super-Nova"? lol:sick:

(tsk) I have the white and red versions. (tsk)

Actually sold a red at the last local show for $$ that folds. :acclaim:

Ya know what I love: on the cover of SSM #189, it proclaims, "The Final Battle with the Green Goblin!"

And just who is he fighting on the cover of SSM #200? :P

Maybe the fight lasted 12 issues? (shrug)

If I remember correctly, it started with The Child Within story arc featuring Vermin and then finished with issue 200 where Harry died. Obviously Harry's alive and well now.

Marvel was not the first to do gimmick covers. Image and Valiant used new printing facilities to upgrade publishing capabilities and Marvel and Valiant followed suit. The first gimmick cover that I remember was Bloodshot 1 but I am not sure it was the first.