• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst gimmicky covers of the 1990's

137 posts in this topic

Ghost Rider 15 was glow in the dark that would have been in 1991

Guardians of the Galaxy 25 was prismatic guessing early '92

Batman: LODK had the lame four colored versions of the #1 as early as 1989.

As far as acetate covers are concerned, I think Steve is right that Valiant was first.

This one was quite profitable for me back then,the glow in the dark cover,I bought 20 copies off my lcs at 20 percent off cover then a month later sold them for $15 bucks a piece to another lcs. of course both lcs are long gone and out of business. the crazy early 1990`s.

:)

GhostRider15.jpg

I love that cover. <3 Actually, it is the only one I have from this entire thread (so far).

Ok, the Punisher had plenty of Gimmick covers:

First the double cover #57

punisher57b-1900.jpg

#75 silver foil embossed :cloud9:

punisher75-3914.jpg

#86 embossed foil cover :cloud9:

punisher86-1950.jpg

#100 foil cover:

PUNISHER100-2.jpg

As far as acetate covers are concerned, I think Steve is right that Valiant was first.

Do you mean chromium? I can't think of a Valiant with an acetate cover (doesn't mean there isn't one). First book I remember with an acetate cover is Marvels # 1.

Not exactly the worst but Sergio Aragones' "Mighty Magnor" # 1 had a pop-out cover. I really liked it, it has like 5 levels of depth to it, and you know Sergio put a lot of detail into it.

Marvel was not the first to do gimmick covers. Image and Valiant used new printing facilities to upgrade publishing capabilities and Marvel and Valiant followed suit. The first gimmick cover that I remember was Bloodshot 1 but I am not sure it was the first.

Actually, the above is completely wrong. (tsk)

The already mentioned Silver Surfer #50 and Ghost Rider #15 (not #50, as I accidentally typed) were both published in mid-1991, when Image hadn't yet published a single book. Heck, it was hardly a twinkle in the eye of Todd McFarlane at that time.

Valiant was around back then, but they were definitely NOT doing any special covers yet.

As I said, I'm not sure if there were any indie publishers doing special covers before 1991, but Image and Valiant most certainly weren't. :sumo:

As an aside, I'm not certain if we should count LOTDK #1 as a gimmick cover. It was five different editions for a different color for each one but there was nothing particularly "special" (i.e. some sort of new special printing procedure) about them. A gimmick, yes, but a "gimmick cover", probably not. hm

And of course nothing says gimmicky like The Punisher meets Archie, with a die cut wraparound cover:

parch1.jpg

This one couldn't get past it's own so self awareness of it's own Godawfulness.

How many Punisher fans simply gave up when this POS came out.

I was looking for some books that I had where the entire front cover was a hologram, but have not found them yet.

In the meantime here is another partial hologram, and an almost lack cover to boot.

necroscope1.jpg