• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there HUGE stashes of High Grade GA 9.0+, SA 9.4+, BA 9.4-9.6+, key MA 9.8+?

Do you think their are HUGE stashes of "raw" High Grade GA 9.0+, SA 9.4+, BA 9.4-9.6+, key MA from 1980-90 9.8+ that still need to be graded by CGC? See above for definition of HUGE Stashes before an  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think their are HUGE stashes of "raw" High Grade GA 9.0+, SA 9.4+, BA 9.4-9.6+, key MA from 1980-90 9.8+ that still need to be graded by CGC? See above for definition of HUGE Stashes before an

161 posts in this topic

Geez.....I honestly thought both of them were kidding. Not that it's a bad name or anything........my name's Andrew for christ's sake! 893frustrated.gif

It's not really a bad name(it could be a lot worse), butI don't like it. And I've been told very often "it dosen't suit me". I don't know what does, but Andrew isn't it.

I made sure when I came up with this poll to specifically say Moderns 1980-90 in 9.8+ condition, which knocks the majority of any hidden stashes of Spidey #300 even if they are in unopened Diamond boxes out of that catagory.

And this is where this poll falls apart. The 9.8 label given by CGC is almost mystical and I challenge anyone on this board to be able to differenciate between a 9.6/9.8/10.0 comic. What's 9.8 today becomes a 9.6 or 10.0 tomorrow. Using 9.8 as the bellweather for Moderns is unprovable definitively. 9.6 is more realistic....

Jim

There is truth in what you are saying, but that same scenario applies to difference in CGC mid and low grade books as well (difference between a 6.5, 7.0, 7.5 is hard to tell). I am also not saying that any MA key in 9.8+ is going to increase in value at a rate that compares to a GA, SA, or BA comic in the high grade. I am just saying that 9.8s of key MA 1980-90 would be rare and more valuable and collectable. People are spending crazy money on 9.8 Spidey #300s. I know if I had boxes like people claimed in posts above I would be selling them to get the most money while the market is high before the bubble bursts. That isn't happening. You would have to believe that the secret society of private collectors with boxes of 9.8 Spidey 300s know each other and agreed with one another to sell maybe one or 2 a month so people wouldn't get suspicious. I don't believe that is the case. People with boxes of unopened Diamond comics are also hoping their value increases or else they wouldn't have bought unopened boxes of Diamond comics. Therefore, those people are speculators.

Perhaps if you knew the difference between a sealed case and an unopened Diamond box,people might think you knew what you were talking about. How long have you been collecting comics? I Think you should consult with your drinking buddies and learn a little something about the business/hobby before you try hanging with the big boys.

Anybody but you mention anything about buying Diamond comics?

Let's see.... Spidey 300.... 400,000 sold,only 48 still in 9.8, yeah.... can't be anymore of them out there.It was 16 years ago. No-one thought to save their comics or put them in Mylar way back then.After all the speculators made gobs of money off all those other books,who could have seen this would be a good investment.And no-one ever bought comics by the case pre-valiant.

Hold on.......

So your name really is Logan? And Darth really called his kid Logan?

Logan's actually a popular name right now, even among folks who have no idea who Wolverine is. My wife's friend just named their little GIRL Logan, in fact.... insane.gif

My wife's friend just named their little GIRL Logan, in fact.... insane.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

That's why I tend to like the known masculine and feminine names, as the "mystery" uni-sex monikers are usually trouble.

I've actually heard of more female Logan's (count them on one hand) than males.

Perhaps if you knew the difference between a sealed case and an unopened Diamond box,people might think you knew what you were talking about. How long have you been collecting comics? I Think you should consult with your drinking buddies and learn a little something about the business/hobby before you try hanging with the big boys.

Let's see.... Spidey 300.... 400,000 sold,only 48 still in 9.8, yeah.... can't be anymore of them out there.It was 16 years ago. No-one thought to save their comics or put them in Mylar way back then.After all the speculators made gobs of money off all those other books,who could have seen this would be a good investment.And no-one ever bought comics by the case pre-valiant.

I don't think anyone here doubts that there are hundreds, if not thousands of potential 9.8 Spidey #300's waiting to be slabbed.

What do you mean by sealed case, Shadroch? I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know what you mean by this. I know what an unopened Diamond Box is. Is a sealed case a box full of unopened Diamond Boxes? confused-smiley-013.gif

Speaking of stashes.... OHHHHHHHHHHHH

SPIDEY 129's galore! Check out his feedback as well for more! 893whatthe.gif

Are those bettyswalls copies? They somehow seem... familiar.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My first impression as well.....but I have pictures of every ASM #129 Betty's sold in the last 8 months and none of them match this seller issues. Could very well be another guy with a stash of remainder ASM #129s..... 893whatthe.gif

Jim

Speaking of stashes.... OHHHHHHHHHHHH

SPIDEY 129's galore! Check out his feedback as well for more! 893whatthe.gif

Are those bettyswalls copies? They somehow seem... familiar.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My first impression as well.....but I have pictures of every ASM #129 Betty's sold in the last 8 months and none of them match this seller issues. Could very well be another guy with a stash of remainder ASM #129s..... 893whatthe.gif

Jim

There are other stashes,...trust me...I bought 8 copies from the same source in the last week between VF to NM ..all unread.....and passed on another 6.....some with distibuters ink (slight),...some without...but the ASM 121/122 and X-men 94/Giant size #1 stashes have dried up

Hey MMM - - whats with all the Barney Frank bashing?

It is a term I substitute for a word that rythmes with slow-mo that I give to people I think are weenies. Lets just say it fits Shady perfectly.

And you dont really think that 44 9.8s is already a common book in that grade??? Especially considering that there are (extremely) conservatively another 50 more copies in Shad's unopened cases alone????

For a MA comic 44 9.8s don't make it common. Maybe if you multiply that number by 6-8 that would make it common. If Shady thinks he can get 50 copies graded 9.8 in his unopened cases he should pay the money to have them CGC'd and prove it.

UN-opened cases - - thats like the "comics womb!."

Just where do you think the other 44 9.8s started out??? In mylars from the printing plant?

Forget 9.8s, all comics in UN-opened cases should be 10.0s using your logic (none exist btw). Why would the come out of the "comics womb" less than perfect, unless the weren't perfect to begin with, hmmm?

I made sure when I came up with this poll to specifically say Moderns 1980-90 in 9.8+ condition, which knocks the majority of any hidden stashes of Spidey #300 even if they are in unopened Diamond boxes out of that catagory.

And this is where this poll falls apart. The 9.8 label given by CGC is almost mystical and I challenge anyone on this board to be able to differenciate between a 9.6/9.8/10.0 comic. What's 9.8 today becomes a 9.6 or 10.0 tomorrow. Using 9.8 as the bellweather for Moderns is unprovable definitively. 9.6 is more realistic....

Jim

There is truth in what you are saying, but that same scenario applies to difference in CGC mid and low grade books as well (difference between a 6.5, 7.0, 7.5 is hard to tell). I am also not saying that any MA key in 9.8+ is going to increase in value at a rate that compares to a GA, SA, or BA comic in the high grade. I am just saying that 9.8s of key MA 1980-90 would be rare and more valuable and collectable. People are spending crazy money on 9.8 Spidey #300s. I know if I had boxes like people claimed in posts above I would be selling them to get the most money while the market is high before the bubble bursts. That isn't happening. You would have to believe that the secret society of private collectors with boxes of 9.8 Spidey 300s know each other and agreed with one another to sell maybe one or 2 a month so people wouldn't get suspicious. I don't believe that is the case. People with boxes of unopened Diamond comics are also hoping their value increases or else they wouldn't have bought unopened boxes of Diamond comics. Therefore, those people are speculators.

Why don't you get a box of yours CGC'd and prove me wrong? Using your logic they should all come back all 10.0s shouldn't they, if they are in a sealed box? Put your money where your big mouth is Shady. Prove me wrong. I will glady leave these forums if you send a sealed case (or unopend Diamond box) that you claim to have and have them all come back CGC'd 10.0.

Jim

Why don't you get a box of yours CGC'd and prove me wrong? Using your logic they should all come back all 10.0s shouldn't they, if they are in a sealed box? Put your money where your big mouth is Shady. Prove me wrong. I will glady leave these forums if you send a sealed case (or unopend Diamond box) that you claim to have and have them all come back CGC'd 10.0.

Shad: 893crossfingers-thumb.gif and godspeed.

My wife's friend just named their little GIRL Logan, in fact.... insane.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

That's why I tend to like the known masculine and feminine names, as the "mystery" uni-sex monikers are usually trouble.

I've actually heard of more female Logan's (count them on one hand) than males.

Yes, it's terribly hard to distinguish the female Logans from the male Logans on those $3.99/minute party lines, eh?

"Trouble." Bah!

It is truly disconcerting, I must say, to have some hot young mom yell your name in a store and just when you're reaching her, arms outstretched, lips puckered, a little kid comes rushing past you into her arms. I'm just not used to having to share my name with other people. And, there are a lot of girls named "Logan", this much is true... but I haven't seen any statistics on the gender distribution yet. I must say, however, that I've never met a Logan OLDER than me, so I guess that's a tribute to my parents' innovative thinking, eh? (Oh, and neither one collected comic books.)

Could be worse, I could be named "Greggy".

It's not really a bad name(it could be a lot worse), butI don't like it. And I've been told very often "it dosen't suit me". I don't know what does, but Andrew isn't it.

my middle name is Andrew . . . .

DAM

my middle name is Andrew . . . .

DAM

I never realized "DAM" was your initials..... foreheadslap.gif

sign-offtopic.gif You coming back to Toronto for the next con?

I've never met anyone named Logan. If there are a bunch of females with that name,methinks they are not yet of an age where I would run into them. I guess in a few years,they too will be taking my dollar bills.

I've never met anyone named Logan. If there are a bunch of females with that name,methinks they are not yet of an age where I would run into them. I guess in a few years,they too will be taking my dollar bills.

893naughty-thumb.gif The Logan I know is only a year old now, and hopefully she won't grow up to take dollar bills from men she doesn't know.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif