• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You're on...THE LIST!

59 posts in this topic

It's funny...I was an intimate part of the group that first had to deal with Cal on the internet (the ebay comics board)...and like Ellegon said, it's been 10 years hence, and he still hasn't gotten over it.

What's the story with that then?

Imagine someone, usually male, who's very aggressive in real life, someone who's used to always getting his way, and steam rolling over, by sheer force of will and personality, anyone who even raises a peep to them .

Maybe, say, a teacher, or an administrator, or some type of management experience.

Now imagine, for the first time in their lives, he encounters a group of people that he cannot control, cannot manipulate, cannot dominate, and who constantly challenge his silly notions and misconceptions. That person, who is most certainly not used to being challenged about anything suddenly finds themselves challenged on everything...and he simply cannot handle it, and reacts as if literally everyone is out to discredit, defame, destroy him. So he treats every online encounter as hostile, until and unless proven otherwise (which can be easily UNproven at any later date, on any provocation, real or imaginary.)

Is this starting to sound familiar, with regards to Cal....?

I've seen it happen with others, usually older people in the aforementioned positions, who engage younger people online for the first time. Sometimes, from the especially clever person, it can be outright dangerous, but Cal's mostly harmless.

Cheers (thumbs u

To be fair there is more than one person like you describe on these boards - Cal is just the most extreme example.

And I agree, mostly harmless to old s like myself who've seen must of that type of nonsense a thousand times before, not just on the web but in 'real' life as well, but people of a more sensitive nature - not as cynical - can find that type of behaviour fairly upsetting.

Agreed, most definitely.

Hell, *I'm* aggressive to the occasional fault, too...but I do it for the thrill of the spar, because I love the challenge, not an obsessive need to bend others to my will. Such is a task for fools when dealing with faceless and essentially nameless strangers miles removed.

Internet interaction is actually reallllly good for exposing proclivities in that area, and lots of folks with brains have been able to recognize those sorts of behavior pattents in themselves and alter them, even to the benefit of people in their own real lives.

It's not all just people posturing and hiding behind their monitors, after all. ;)

And I agree, mostly harmless to old s like myself who've seen must of that type of nonsense a thousand times before, not just on the web but in 'real' life as well, but people of a more sensitive nature - not as cynical - can find that type of behaviour fairly upsetting.

This is where the real harm lies, but the most important thing everyone who engages on the internet has to learn is that they can only control themselves and their reactions to things encountered. People like Cal are never going to change, no matter how much they are censured, so it's up to each individual to understand that and react accordingly.

In other words, be aware if you're sensitive to this and just don't engage.

When I see people getting upset by aggressive behavior, I usually respond with "hey...it's just the internet. It's just some random stranger whose only power over you is that which you give him. So don't give him any."

That perspective usually is enough to do the trick.

Sometimes, from the especially clever person, it can be outright dangerous, but Cal's mostly harmless.

Except that his threats of lawsuits aren't always bluffs, as eBay can attest.

Hence the "mostly"... ;)

So long as what someone is saying is true, though, they're fairly safe.

What do you think of the rest of my analysis...? (As someone who was also there from the beginning.)

Agreed, most definitely.

Hell, *I'm* aggressive to the occasional fault, too...but I do it for the thrill of the spar, because I love the challenge, not an obsessive need to bend others to my will. Such is a task for fools when dealing with faceless and essentially nameless strangers miles removed.

Internet interaction is actually reallllly good for exposing proclivities in that area, and lots of folks with brains have been able to recognize those sorts of behavior pattents in themselves and alter them, even to the benefit of people in their own real lives.

It's not all just people posturing and hiding behind their monitors, after all. ;)

This is where the real harm lies, but the most important thing everyone who engages on the internet has to learn is that they can only control themselves and their reactions to things encountered. People like Cal are never going to change, no matter how much they are censured, so it's up to each individual to understand that and react accordingly.

When I see people getting upset by aggressive behavior, I usually respond with "hey...it's just the internet. It's just some random stranger whose only power over you is that which you give him. So don't give him any."

Even better if people don't start any aggressive behaviour in the first place.

If somebody can't get their argument/discussion/debate across without throwing insults around then they've lost before they even begin.

A little aggressive behavior tends to spark and/or make a usually boring debate, especially those endlessly rehashed, much more interesting.

Its not for everyone in the debate but a fight in the stands can be entertaining as one in the game.

We are not building rockets here just trying to have entertaining interaction on common subjects.

What is most important is the hobby we share not that we all move in lockstep in life.

Just looked at this thread for the first time . . . awesome job! Has Cal seen it yet? He will surely feel that familiar compulsion, and bid mad cash to win it himself, to continue his world domination of IMSM covers. Kudos!! :applause:

Dear God, I hope he likes it. When I told Pat what I wanted him to draw, he told me that if some stranger whips out a gun on him in Artist's Alley at a con, he'd hold me personally responsible.

Yeah, I hope Cal likes it!

No the artist will be quietly drawing at his table and a rather strange looking guy will come up and grab his hand and shake it ,kiss him on the cheek as he says "I know it was you" Having a third party take a picture. Forever hence the artist will be on ...THE LIST..

Sometimes, from the especially clever person, it can be outright dangerous, but Cal's mostly harmless.

Except that his threats of lawsuits aren't always bluffs, as eBay can attest.

Hence the "mostly"... ;)

So long as what someone is saying is true, though, they're fairly safe.

What do you think of the rest of my analysis...? (As someone who was also there from the beginning.)

..every story has to have heroes and villians ! I have been threatened with a lawsuit...but best defense is the truth..so ..I hope I am on the hero column!! Maybe sidekick..but I don't think villian at all

Agreed, most definitely.

Even better if people don't start any aggressive behaviour in the first place.

If somebody can't get their argument/discussion/debate across without throwing insults around then they've lost before they even begin.

Ok, let's clarify something...by "aggressive" I do not mean "insulting." Tossing insults around is the basest form of aggression. There are much, much subtler and more effective forms of aggression than that...and not ALL aggression is bad.

You say "even better if people don't start any aggressive behavior in the first place." Sure, and it'd be even better if ambrosia rained from the sky, the streets were paved with gold, and everyone was healthy, happy, and well fed.

But that's never going to happen, and neither is aggressive behavior going to go away.

So the shift in focus, therefore, needs to be not on wishing away bad behavior, but in training yourself and encouraging others to not RESPOND to aggressive behavior in a way that harms them and their own states of well being.

After all...no one has any control over what anyone else says or does on a message board accept mods. Everyone has absolute control over themselves and their own emotions and reactions. That's where the focus needs to be.

Now imagine, for the first time in his life, he encounters a group of people that he cannot control, cannot manipulate, cannot dominate, and who constantly challenge his silly notions and misconceptions.

He's held a grudge for "insulting" his Pet since Day One on Ebay. One of his first posts ever was "There are only 3,000 copies of IM/SM # 1 total left in existence". After we all had a good laugh about that one, it was clear that his feelings were hurt. Then when he asked how to become a big-time seller like SNE, things went downhill...

Everyone has absolute control over themselves and their own emotions and reactions. That's where the focus needs to be.

Are you sure about that hm

Everyone has absolute control over themselves and their own emotions and reactions. That's where the focus needs to be.

It sounds like a worldview that has a label out there somewhere.

Well.

At least everyone SHOULD....if they come to internet message boards, that is...

Although it's probably the exact opposite that's true.

lol

Now imagine, for the first time in his life, he encounters a group of people that he cannot control, cannot manipulate, cannot dominate, and who constantly challenge his silly notions and misconceptions.

He's held a grudge for "insulting" his Pet since Day One on Ebay. One of his first posts ever was "There are only 3,000 copies of IM/SM # 1 total left in existence". After we all had a good laugh about that one, it was clear that his feelings were hurt. Then when he asked how to become a big-time seller like SNE, things went downhill...

Was THAT how it started...? Man, it's been so many years, I've forgotten so many details!

I predict Cal will be the top bidder for that CBSM collectors item

I hope so! Maybe he'll be back today, is a strike one week or two weeks?