• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You're on...THE LIST!

59 posts in this topic

So, for Par2ch's charity auction, he was mailing out blank covers for forum members to sketch on, to auction later. Awesome idea, and I wanted in. Only problem is, I can't draw worth a squat. However, I do have a friend who's a professional artist, so I dragooned him into this project. I called him on the phone, told him about the auction, Cal, his list, his obsession with IMSM...and he said "What the hell man, just tell me what I'm supposed to draw, I don't care about the backstory of your internet nerdity" (or words to that effect).

So, we have this:

calbot_cover_by_bollin_2009.jpg

Most people in 'The Signature Room' don't get it, but I thought maybe you guys would. :D

Here's a link to the charity action, it's all about kicking cancer's butt, who can't get behind that?

Charity Auction

Oh, THAT is fricin' AWESOME! I want one in color!

Just looked at this thread for the first time . . . awesome job! Has Cal seen it yet? He will surely feel that familiar compulsion, and bid mad cash to win it himself, to continue his world domination of IMSM covers. Kudos!! :applause:

Just looked at this thread for the first time . . . awesome job! Has Cal seen it yet? He will surely feel that familiar compulsion, and bid mad cash to win it himself, to continue his world domination of IMSM covers. Kudos!! :applause:

Dear God, I hope he likes it. When I told Pat what I wanted him to draw, he told me that if some stranger whips out a gun on him in Artist's Alley at a con, he'd hold me personally responsible.

Yeah, I hope Cal likes it!

It's funny...I was an intimate part of the group that first had to deal with Cal on the internet (the ebay comics board)...and like Ellegon said, it's been 10 years hence, and he still hasn't gotten over it.

What's the story with that then?

It's funny...I was an intimate part of the group that first had to deal with Cal on the internet (the ebay comics board)...and like Ellegon said, it's been 10 years hence, and he still hasn't gotten over it.

What's the story with that then?

Imagine someone, usually male, who's very aggressive in real life, someone who's used to always getting his way, and steam rolling over, by sheer force of will and personality, anyone who even raises a peep to them .

Maybe, say, a teacher, or an administrator, or some type of management experience.

Now imagine, for the first time in his life, he encounters a group of people that he cannot control, cannot manipulate, cannot dominate, and who constantly challenge his silly notions and misconceptions. That person, who is most certainly not used to being challenged about anything suddenly finds themselves challenged on everything...and he simply cannot handle it, and reacts as if literally everyone is out to discredit, defame, destroy him. So he treats every online encounter as hostile, until and unless proven otherwise (which can be easily UNproven at any later date, on any provocation, real or imaginary.)

Is this starting to sound familiar, with regards to Cal....?

I've seen it happen with others, usually older people in the aforementioned positions, who engage younger people online for the first time. Sometimes, from the especially clever person, it can be outright dangerous, but Cal's mostly harmless.