• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

I really don't agree with you about Green Lantern. I mean they made some real stinkers about Spider-Man and even X-men, and they ain't being kissed off.

I also think DC might surprise us and turn the next round of movies into gold.

I mean look at the new Superman movie? I also think Wonder Woman could be fantastic if they did it right. It's really about who plays the part in this case.

What I do agree with you on is that Metal Men would be a great little flick, and have enormous appeal with fans, children and even women.

But (if I had a bunch) I wouldn't give up and sell my Showcase #22's just yet.

I hear ya,but the only difference is Spider-Man and X-men were still huge at the box office. Green Lantern was lukewarm at best. We will see another Ted movie before we see another Green Lantern movie. 2c

Who really cares if there is a movie or not,if you love the character,and you want the 1st appearance.Isn't that what matters?

Bob-a-loo

wanted to know why Showcase #22 has had soft prices of late.

I am pretty sure the movies now control the market,as Avengers #1 and #4 are big examples of this.

It is what it is. Iron Man #55 will now go on to unseen prices.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The character is really not hitting it off with mainstream,even the recent Green Lantern Animated series ratings were so poor that the Cartoon Network has pulled it.

btw I love the character,but apparantly mainstream doesn`t share my enthusiasm.

So I read this statement and started poking around: What I found was no indication that the show had been cancelled. In fact the show was nominated for a few awards and the general reception has been good overall. There was information suggesting that new episodes for both Young Justice and Green Lantern the Animated series were completed but were being released for a variety of reasons in January 2013. Some of those unaired episodes are currently downloadable or viewable at Cartoon Network. (New episodes 14-16 are also available as downloadable torrents if you search).

http://www.comicvine.com/news/young-justice-and-green-lantern-the-animated-series-delayed-till-2013/145384/

Wikipedia has it listed as running from November 11, 2011 to the present with no cancellation date indicated.

At the Annie awards it was nominated for both: Best General Audience Animated TV Production and Best Music In a Television Production.

Green Lantern, since its first showing at the 2011 Comic Con, has received critical acclaim. Chris Sims of ComicsAlliance commented that he'd never been a huge fan of Green Lantern, but rather of DC Animation Universe creator Bruce Timm, and when he heard that Timm was producing the series he began looking forward to it, saying that the one-hour premiere "does it right." Tony Guerrero of Comic Vine said the first episode was good and definitely worth checking out. Brian Lowry of Variety praised the animation style, saying that "Warner Bros. has gone full bore into the CGI dimension with a bold, sleek design that more than anything resembles The Incredibles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern:_The_Animated_Series

To many unhappy viewers, myself included, Cartoon Network did not air any new episodes for Green Lantern: The Animated Series or Young Justice: Invasion. I'm sure a great deal of readers already know this and have sought answers as to why this happened. Well, I may not have all the answers, but I can say new episodes will return... in January 2013.

I say this because Cartoon Network put out a single tweet via their offical account, Cartoon Network. Read thru the responses, their justified. But if you don't want to read their account, here's their tweet:

"Hey #DCNation fans! Have you heard?? DC Nation will return in January with all new episodes!"

What made this awkward was the fact that CN already aired two new episodes for each series when the new season started, now, three weeks ago. So, an abrupt change like this seems completely unnecessary. Many who work on both shows responded with their own twitter accounts and urge fans to post their 'unhappiness' via @cartoonnetwork.

To top it all off, the new unaired episodes were available for a short time via iTunes. And Young Justice made it to #2 for iTunes' most downloaded for television list. MOST DOWNLOADED FOR TELEVISION!! Not for children's television, but for television in general. So, if you questioned the demand for these series you now have your answer.

http://www.geeknewwave.com/article/tue-10162012-1715/dc-nation-not-cancelled-just-postponed

So in summary I'm not entirely sure that the GL boat has sunk irrevocably.

Oh I liked the animated show.In fact I like it better then the live-action movie.

Rumors are swirling though it will be cancelled along with Young Justice sometime in the spring 2013 because the ratings are low compared to shows like Adventure Time.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I really don't agree with you about Green Lantern. I mean they made some real stinkers about Spider-Man and even X-men, and they ain't being kissed off.

I mean look at the new Superman movie? I also think Wonder Woman could be fantastic if they did it right. It's really about who plays the part in this case.

What I do agree with you on is that Metal Men would be a great little flick, and have enormous appeal with fans, children and even women.

I hear ya,but the only difference is Spider-Man and X-men were still huge at the box office. Green Lantern was lukewarm at best. We will see another Ted movie before we see another Green Lantern movie. 2c

Who really cares if there is a movie or not,if you love the character,and you want the 1st appearance.Isn't that what matters?

Bob-a-loo

I am pretty sure the movies now control the market,as Avengers #1 and #4 are big examples of this.

That is true CC, I did ask that. And you're going to have to forgive us, we're a bunch of foaming fan-boys when it comes to defending GL, but that's how we roll here (speaking only for myself of course, but fee free to join me). lol

Bob-a-loo

Movie prices don't control the market. The simply create some volatility.

Most of the volatility is probably created by speculators pushing up prices to see how high they will go before the stop rising. Then they hold and sell on the way down.

A Showcase #22, Avengers #1, 4 and IM #55 are still key books and retain a lot of their value after the movie disappears. They don't drop to below where they were before the movie.

But by your own words they lift the prices that usually never return to the prices before the movie. So by this they do significantly effect the market, more that most anything. The other thing is when a series suddenly gets a hot creative team and/or plot line. So I think it's safe to say the effect on prices movies have is pretty strong. But I think this only applies to mainstream characters. I don't think JCOM caused a spike in the value of Koraks.

But by your own words they lift the prices that usually never return to the prices before the movie. So by this they do significantly effect the market, more that most anything. The other thing is when a series suddenly gets a hot creative team and/or plot line. So I think it's safe to say the effect on prices movies have is pretty strong. But I think this only applies to mainstream characters. I don't think JCOM caused a spike in the value of Koraks.

Acc. to GPA SC #22 in 7.0 was a $2000 book from 2002-2007, then there is a $9000 sale in 2009 and then it went back to being a $6000-7000 book in 2012.

Just follow the graph. It's still at a strong number compared to 2007. People lose perspective when focusing on the movie run-up.

Bob-a-loo

Movie prices don't control the market. The simply create some volatility.

Most of the volatility is probably created by speculators pushing up prices to see how high they will go before the stop rising. Then they hold and sell on the way down.

A Showcase #22, Avengers #1, 4 and IM #55 are still key books and retain a lot of their value after the movie disappears. They don't drop to below where they were before the movie.

You made a great point. Those have been major key books for decades. Iron Man 55 became had a tremendous spike with his revival and the Infinity Gauntlet storyline in the early 90's. Depends where Iron Man 55 plateau, anyone here can guess and make speculation as when it has peaked...and when it will pull back. "It's all about timing". Nonetheless, prices and trends runs in cycle and has rewarded folks and "fanboy" for holding.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Acc. to GPA SC #22 in 7.0 was a $2000 book from 2002-2007, then there is a $9000 sale in 2009 and then it went back to being a $6000-7000 book in 2012.

Just follow the graph. It's still at a strong number compared to 2007. People lose perspective when focusing on the movie run-up.

When you look at it, that is QUITE and increase in only 5 years (from 2007-2012).

An the price, while lower than before, during and immediately after the movie, it never went back to the lows prior to the flick. I'm saying I think it would never have risen that fast without the movie stimulating the market. But I think you made the point very well with your research.

When you look at it, that is QUITE and increase in only 5 years (from 2007-2012).

An the price, while lower than before, during and immediately after the movie, it never went back to the lows prior to the flick. I'm saying I think it would never have risen that fast without the movie stimulating the market. But I think you made the point very well with your research.

B+B #28 did a similar run-up.

I think it has more to do with SA Marvels breaking out in 2006 in the Overstreet guide and their price explosion and then the lower valued DC books catching up than the movie itself. I think the movie simply caused the blip from 2009-2012.

Bob-a-loo

That is true CC, I did ask that. And you're going to have to forgive us, we're a bunch of foaming fan-boys when it comes to defending GL, but that's how we roll here (speaking only for myself of course, but fee free to join me). lol

Green Lantern is a great character. In fact the Green Lantern universe is amazing.

Unfortunately when they made the movie they picked a dog for a villian.

HectorHammond.jpg

Green Lantern is a great character. In fact the Green Lantern universe is amazing.

Unfortunately when they made the movie they picked a dog for a villian.

HectorHammond.jpg

I can't deny I too was disappointed with this choice.

A few sales on HA today:

Showcase 22 7.0 OW with writing on back cover $4780

Showcase 22 6.0 OW/W $3107

Showcase 22 5.0 CRM/W $1971.75

I paid a tad bit more for a 4.5 OW/W than that,oh well as long as I have one. (thumbs u

Wow, those prices have really dropped. Is this a true representation of the market or an anomaly? I'd love get a 5.0 at that price... hm

Heritage did relatively poorly across the board today, it seems. There's some talk in the GA forum of a weak auction as well. Likely just a matter of timing more than anything else. After Christmas, before taxes, etc. I believe the auction also started an hour earlier than expected, which would also hurt sales.