• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,060 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Doug Schmell, of Pedigree Comics.

Maybe a bad apple I don't know but to be honest I don't wish ill on anyone except maybe for a few of the meanest people in the world and for those that do the same acts as they do (that could make a lot of people). That would include those that harm children or animals!!

Edited by SC22

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Same book from that new boardie who had a for sale thread of silver age key books this past week.

Yup. Handful of his books were listed on CL tonight.

Edited by Gotham Kid

14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'm sure he negotiated lower, but not 100K lower. When you factor in HA's commission, ouch.

What are the odds that the book is actually going to change hands?  Does the consignor allow himself to take a 6-figure hit, or, does he have a friend put in a "protection bid" and buy the book back and just take the less onerous commission hit instead (and remember that hitters get a big chunk of the BP rebated to them)? hm

Purely hypothetically speaking, of course, it would be much more palatable to take that hit for most than a 6-figure loss on a single book.  Not that I'm saying that anyone ever does this or that I even know who the consignor is. meh

Edited by delekkerste

On 11/17/2017 at 4:08 AM, delekkerste said:

What are the odds that the book is actually going to change hands?  Does the consignor allow himself to take a 6-figure hit, or, does he have a friend put in a "protection bid" and buy the book back and just take the less onerous commission hit instead (and remember that hitters get a big chunk of the BP rebated to them)? hm

Can you explain the rebate?  I don't understand what you mean by that.  Thanks.  And I think you're right about the book changing hands.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:08 AM, delekkerste said:

Purely hypothetically speaking, of course, it would be much more palatable to take that hit for most than a 6-figure loss on a single book.  Not that I'm saying that anyone ever does this or that I even know who the consignor is. meh

"Protection bid?" A seller knowingly having someone bid on a book s/he has in an auction for the purpose of protecting a potential loss means that person is a shill bidder. The legitimacy of the auction would come into question. 

On 11/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, Knightsofold said:

Can you explain the rebate?  I don't understand what you mean by that.  Thanks.  And I think you're right about the book changing hands.

For their bigger/more important consignors, Heritage not only waives the seller's premium, but also gives them a piece of the buyer's premium, which can be substantial for their biggest clients. 

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

For their bigger/more important consignors, Heritage not only waives the seller's premium, but also gives them a piece of the buyer's premium, which can be substantial for their biggest clients. 

Heritages buyers premium is a huge hit ! The auction end times are a joke.

21 hours ago, SC22 said:

No, I think it will go for less. But who knows. We'll find out in about 1 week.

Edited by Gotham Kid