• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So we've had a best artist poll...

72 posts in this topic

Jack Kirby :sumo:

I think Kirby only stays off the list for the sheer number of things he created.

Otherwise, I think his art is terrible, and agree with you.

However, I'd have to also put a vote in for Ditko. I think his art is atrocious. :eek:

Are you looking for a fight :baiting:

Just callin' it like I see it. :slapfight:

Fair enough.Who are some of your favorites?

Frazetta, Wrightson, Adams, Romita Sr, Grell, Cardy, Ingels, Feldstein, Kaluta, Swan, John Buscema, Gonzales, Alcala, Wood, Davis, Toth, Craig, Cole, pretty much every artist to work for Mad until about 1986.

Later artists include Dave Stevens, Lee, McFarlane, Ross, AH!, Kieth, Campbell, Larsen, and even though I'm not fond of Anime, I'm quite fond of Joe Madureira.

I know I'm overlooking quite a few, but this list will do just to pull something off the top of my head. :headbang:

Al Milgrom has to be the worst!!!
i cant call him the worst -- his style just seemed simple -- a very simple style -- true - that it had no individual style -- it was just plain simple , factory assembly line art

Nah...it was simply terrible. :eek:

AvengersWestCoast17.jpg

Jack Kirby :sumo:

I think Kirby only stays off the list for the sheer number of things he created.

Otherwise, I think his art is terrible, and agree with you.

However, I'd have to also put a vote in for Ditko. I think his art is atrocious. :eek:

Are you looking for a fight :baiting:

Just callin' it like I see it. :slapfight:

Fair enough.Who are some of your favorites?

Frazetta, Wrightson, Adams, Romita Sr, Grell, Cardy, Ingels, Feldstein, Kaluta, Swan, John Buscema, Gonzales, Alcala, Wood, Davis, Toth, Craig, Cole, pretty much every artist to work for Mad until about 1986.

Later artists include Dave Stevens, Lee, McFarlane, Ross, AH!, Kieth, Campbell, Larsen, and even though I'm not fond of Anime, I'm quite fond of Joe Madureira.

I know I'm overlooking quite a few, but this list will do just to pull something off the top of my head. :headbang:

A lot of your list mirrors mine.But i have always liked Ditko at the top of my list.

All those ec artist could really draw.Just imagine a comic put out today with the worst artist inside being Johnny Craig.Those books were the golden age of comics artist wise.

I really don`t care for the majority of modern comic artists, it`s not that they can`t draw but the style.The style seems always seems dark and gritty like a third rate Dark Knight/Watchmen homage,plus its hard to follow flow of stories. 2c

I've always thought Sam Keith and Bill Sienkiewicz's art was awful.

Those guys are hit and miss for me. Actually there is only one Keith piece that I really like. I do however, love the Sienkiewicz painting that own, and his Moon Knight covers my favorite block of covers, but I have seen some interiors he's done that hurt my eyes.

I've never liked anything of Sam Keith's, there have been some decent Bill Sienkiewicz art but his run on New Mutants was just awful.

His run was when I lost interest in the NM series :sick:

56757119524.20.GIF

Sienkiewicz is an aquired taste...kinda like smelly cheese... :cloud9:

lol

I've always thought Sam Keith and Bill Sienkiewicz's art was awful.

Those guys are hit and miss for me. Actually there is only one Keith piece that I really like. I do however, love the Sienkiewicz painting that own, and his Moon Knight covers my favorite block of covers, but I have seen some interiors he's done that hurt my eyes.

I've never liked anything of Sam Keith's, there have been some decent Bill Sienkiewicz art but his run on New Mutants was just awful.

His run was when I lost interest in the NM series :sick:

56757119524.20.GIF

Exactly, how bad is that. Ugghh. His drawings of Legion looked like a child drew them.

Is this Eisner or Liefeld? Ugly, puckered face, big boobs with impossibly small waist, feet not shown? hm

pgellb.jpg

The waist is not impossibly small -

cathe-jung.jpg

How about disgustingly small, then? :P

So I guess theres no bones about it...Liefeld IS the worst artist! :makepoint:

I've said it before, I'd take Liefeld over Humberto Ramos any day.

But there are so many that could make this list. Liefeld, Ramos, Trimpe, Ayers, Heck, Tuska, Joe Madarieura, Todd Nauk, Skottie Young, the guy that draws Chew, Frank Robbins, Frank Springer, Al Milgrom, most artists from the Golden Age, etc...

Whoa! I totally dig Skottie Young's art! He's not your classic comic book artist but his style is very unique and I totally enjoy his art.

Al Milgrom has to be the worst!!!
i cant call him the worst -- his style just seemed simple -- a very simple style -- true - that it had no individual style -- it was just plain simple , factory assembly line art

Nope. Milgrom WAS awful. Great inker, vomit inducing pencils. You want to punish someone? Make them sit in a room with nothing and force them to read Secret Wars II.

Don Perlin was miserable too.Cockrum? Not a fan.Trimpe? No thanks.