• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC on the move?

59 posts in this topic

From Scoop:

Comic-Con Mulls Move from San Diego

Lunacy? Heresy? Sacrilege?

Common sense? Necessary? Just business?

According to a report in Variety, once again Comic-Con International: San Diego is toying with the idea of dropping the “San Diego” portion of its name and pulling up stakes in favor of Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

“We can't accommodate the people we need to,” Comic-Con marketing director David Glanzer complained to the entertainment industry journal. “(This year) we had a wait list of exhibitors in excess of 300. We sold out before the doors even opened.”

The convention, which began with about 300 people at a local hotel, has grown into a multi-media event around which Hollywood studios, toy companies, publishers and video game manufacturers plan major marketing pushes. More than 125,000 people have attended the last two shows.

“Yet as the event has exploded in popularity over the past decade, organizers have found it increasingly hard to ignore the logistical limitations presented by wrangling more than 125,000 attendees into the San DiegoConvention Center, where the show is booked through 2012. From fire-code violations to body-odor issues, overcrowding is the complaint on everybody's lips,” Gregory Ellwood wrote for Variety.

In addition to the size of the convention center, the relatively inexplicable hotel reservation system and the cost of hotel rooms took a beating in the feature.

Los Angeles, which reportedly made a big run at taking the con away previously, and Las Vegas, are again named as cities vying for the show. No mention is made of the extra expenses fans and exhibitors would incur as a result of those moves, such as rental cars and parking.

Fanboys with body odor and hookers.

I'm seeing an odd thing here.

" Please Saphire, do me on top of this Cherry #1 !!......OOOoooo..."

Vegas would be a disaster. Imagine thousands of 38 year old fanboys finally away from living in Mom & Dad's basement as they descend upon Vegas' numerous skin joints to receive their first ever lap dances or cop their first feel. Dealers would go broke as millions of dollars earmarked for Hulk #181s and Batman 227s are instead given to blackjack dealers and girls with names like Pandora Peaks.

I think a move of the most legendary of comic conventions would be playing with fire. Just leave it.

I would actually love to see an additional convention in Vegas, but not a move of SDCC to LVCC. Vegas would be a fun city to go to if they could build a major show there, that would be in the same tier as Chicago, NYCC and SDCC.

Vegas would be a disaster. Imagine thousands of 38 year old fanboys finally away from living in Mom & Dad's basement as they descend upon Vegas' numerous skin joints to receive their first ever lap dances or cop their first feel. Dealers would go broke as millions of dollars earmarked for Hulk #181s and Batman 227s are instead given to blackjack dealers and girls with names like Pandora Peaks.

It seems that we typecast ourselves as breadstick armed nerdboys but most of the guys I chat with here are married with decent jobs and lots of other outside interests.

Some of board members are actually quite manly. It is more likely we would descend upon Vegas' numerous skin joints for one of many lapdances, feel a cop like Roy in NYC and drink lots of beer with hot babes.

I guess the results would be the same for the dealers room :cry:

Excellent point (thumbs u

Not to mention this tiny detail:

Las Vegas weather in late July

San Diego weather in late July

Why would you wanna leave Paradise for the pits of Hell? (shrug)

Vegas would either kill or take the convention to new heights, no in between. I think the lack of a "Gaslamp" like area would be sorely missed.

They would be better off breaking out the "Comics" portion of the con somehow and keeping the whole thing in San Diego.

I agree with the weather comment, and I live here lol

Moving the Convention to either LA or Vegas is the dumpest thing I have heard so far 2009.

Dowtown LA is an absolute POS.

Las Vegas would be even worse to promote the comic market. There was a Las Vegas Con a while back it tanked worse then any con I have ever seen.

The same people that want move the con must be the same people that run eBay.

People keep saying SDCC is not a true comic con anymor, well mark my words you move the con it will 100% not be a comic con anymore, more like movies and stupid video games convention. We don't need another E3.

.......or...........maybe they should move it and then we can start up a new con here in SD in the basement of the El Cortez Hotel again and get things back to the basics. hm

However Chuck R. would be banned. I wouldnt let tools in my con. :preach:

I wonder if they've thought of doing a secondary, or even a tertiary site? Though I don't think that would work out too well either. And just what would they call SDCC if they moved it to Vegas?

SDCCVLV (San Diego Comic Con Via Las Vegas)

Sounds more like an acronym for a funky Velvetta sandwich. A move would be :screwy: and I'm sure the city of San Diego would hate to see this con go, as it would cost that city millions in revenue.

It seems that we typecast ourselves as breadstick armed nerdboys but most of the guys I chat with here are married with decent jobs and lots of other outside interests.

Some of board members are actually quite manly. It is more likely we would descend upon Vegas' numerous skin joints for one of many lapdances, feel a cop like Roy in NYC and drink lots of beer with hot babes.

I guess the results would be the same for the dealers room :cry:

But it's so much fun to stereotype fanboys! I know it's not true but I went for the laugh instead of being serious.

There are a whole bunch of reasons that Las Vegas would be bad for the Con. #1 is the plethora of distractions that will take away from the Con: Gambling, Shows, Hoes, all night binge drinking, theme hotels, sports betting, hoes, all night raves, strip clubs. The list goes on and on.

How many people will end up ruining their con experience because they got caught up in the madness that is Vegas? How many will plan on "just going out to dinner" only to end up coming home at 7am completely trashed after losing butloads of cash gambling and then making a Bunny Ranch run at 4am?

I don't need all those distractions when I go to the Con. I'll be the first to admit that my willpower might not be strong enough to say no to all of Vegas' charms.In San Diego my biggest distraction is my kayak calling me to try and make high tide for the evening halibut run....