• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

Welcome to my, "What you collect sucks," thread. :hi:

No, that is NOT what I said, or intended to say.

If people want to collect 9.6 moderns that's cool ..... I was just trying to get some insight into WHY they chose to collect them.

Who are these people that buy 9.6 slabs of modern books?

Yes, they cost less than 9.8, but at least with 9.8 you usually have the highest graded book (at least until that 9.9 shows up one day).

Why not just buy a 9.4 which basically looks the same as a 9.6 for less money?

Hey, if someone wants to put together a great 9.6 collection of 1980's comics, good for them ........ I just don't understand the reasoning.

I suppose it's not unlike wearing a knock off perfume or driving a kit car. It gives you a partial sense of having the real thing (highest graded eye appeal without the cost). Not my cup of tea as I'd rather hold off for the real thing if that was my goal but hey, whatever works for some people.

I think lots of people also like uniformity in their collections and if you like slabs and but can't afford a run of 9.8's I don't see anything wrong with putting a run of 9.6 books together.

IMO a 9.6 book is a beautiful thing whether it's10 weeks old or 50 years old.

I've always appreciated high grade comics regardless of the content so I don't see a modern 9.6 as being a waste of money as it's still a gorgeous book but that's just me.

R.

If people want to collect 9.6 moderns that's cool ..... I was just trying to get some insight into WHY they chose to collect them.

Well, try the fact that they're 25% of the cost of a 9.8 that looks absolutely no different, apart from when you've got your sinuses pressed hard up against the plastic.

Well, try the fact that they're 25% of the cost of a 9.8 that looks absolutely no different, apart from when you've got your sinuses pressed hard up against the plastic.

(thumbs u

Doesn't that mean the worth of the 9.6's you bought has been lowered as well? I have no horse in this race so whatever floats people's boats, but in light of the OP's question, and given the fact that you know/think the 9.8's eventually would fall in price, as the OP wonders, why buy the 9.6's in the first place if they won't be worth what you paid for them? Just asking.

Because he wants them? For some people, this hobby is about consumption, not investment.

Who said anything to the contrary? And for the record, I am 100% pro, buy what you want and who cares what anyone else says.

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price? I wasn't aware I was being so obtuse that I needed to clarify.

hm

Let's turn it around:

I just don't understand the modern 9.8 collector.

Who are these people that buy 9.8 slabs of modern books?

Yes, they cost more than 9.6, but at least with 9.6 you usually have a great looking book for typically less than what it costs to slab a comic (especially on eBay).

Why not just buy a 9.6 which basically looks the same as a 9.8 for less money?

Hey, if someone wants to put together a great 9.8 collection of 1980's comics, good for them ........ I just don't understand the reasoning.*

*Waits patiently for the inevitable poll to solve this great dilemma.

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price? I wasn't aware I was being so obtuse that I needed to clarify.

I understood the question, and I answered it; consumption. He bought it when he wanted to buy it, because he wanted it there and then. It's no different than buying a DVD the day it comes out, as opposed to waiting for it to drop in price a year later.

hm

Let's turn it around:

I just don't understand the modern 9.8 collector.

9.6 or 9.8, none of it means anything to me. I simply wonder why somebody would buy 9.6 if they could get a 9.8 a couple months later for the same price. I guess that's an assumption of course that the 9.8 will fall in price. I don't buy moderns or collect high grade so I don't really understand any of that market and wouldn't be able to guess if a 9.8 was going to go up or down. I was just hoping Boozad could elaborate. I was just curious because his comment piqued my interest in the topic. Did he feel like he new those 9.8's were inflated and would come down in price? If not, then my question is completely moot and requires no answer.

I understood the question, and I answered it; consumption. He bought it when he wanted to buy it, because he wanted it there and then. It's no different than buying a DVD the day it comes out, as opposed to waiting for it to drop in price a year later.

Thank you for speaking for him. And if you happen to be correct, I have no issue with that. I was just asking HIM to elaborate. Glad you're here to answer for others though. What would they do without you?

Because he wants them? For some people, this hobby is about consumption, not investment.

I have to agree with everyone's logic along the path of not every book in your collection has to be a 9.8 if you set the bar to a certain level.

There are those out there that if a book is not a 9.8, they won't touch it. And I hope you keep that philosophy as you make it super-cheap for others that are okay with less than "perfect."

And then there are those books that are super-rare even coming up in 9.8, so why strive for the overly-ridiculous to find if you are just wanting to complete a story arc/set/whatever?

I'm not sure I understand why anybody collects anything aside from "liking" it or "investing" in it. I do know that I have had a fun time the past 2 months buying 9.0 SA Avenger books for fractions of what 9.2/9.4/9.6 go for. They're not as nice as those but they seem to be had relatively cheap. And I like that.

Thank you for speaking for him. And if you happen to be correct, I have no issue with that. I was just asking HIM to elaborate. Glad you're here to answer for others though. What would they do without you?

COI is a paragon of information. Every morning I PM him asking, "Andrew, should I mess or go blind?" Every morning he answers the same, "Go blind. That way you can't ing type."

(worship)

I'm not sure I understand why anybody collects anything aside from "liking" it or "investing" in it. I do know that I have had a fun time the past 2 months buying 9.0 SA Avenger books for fractions of what 9.2/9.4/9.6 go for. They're not as nice as those but they seem to be had relatively cheap. And I like that.

Exactly!

You set your bar to 9.0 on SA Avengers, and this spreads your money out wisely to keep buying more versus wanting just a few 9.6/9.8 copies. Others that are investors would take the opposite approach.

Either way works, depending on the individual's goals. I'd rather stick with your approach as a collector, and keep on buying more.