• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have assessed my collection...and have found it lacking.

53 posts in this topic

I'm another who has a hard time collecting when I compare my collection to others that have uber HG books. Ever since I joined the boards over 4 years ago I have honed my grading skills . I look at my pre-forum comic collection and feel the need to upgrade about all of my SA and BA books. I used to think this book was VF or VF+, now I realize it may only be a 6.0 or 6.5. :sorry:

2412210278_e7f3580951_o.jpg

Hey, I've noticed that my collecting habits have changed recently too. :/

When I got back into comics in 2005 or so (largely CGCs) eveything was "new" to me again, as if had some catching up to do. I grabbed it all -- mid-lower grade raw books, sets, lower grade slabs... drek, basically. :P During the last 6/8mo. or so I find that I too have shifted more towards high-grade items and books that 'fit' the core of my current collecting preferences (ie: Bronze short-run titles and Barbarian-genre books).

Granted, I still nab some odd-n-ends now and again, but nowhere to the extent that I did previously. :grin:

... the issue now is simply finding the time to get through/ sort/ sell the tripe I no longer need and/or want. 2c

Shooty, that's just stinkin' thinkin! Your collection is worthy. Get out

of your shame spiral and remember...It's easier to put on slippers than

to carpet the entire world!

Repeat after me....I Shootydog.....have a collection that is good enough,

high-grade enough and doggone it, people like me.

:)

This is great. You know what....Im gonna put my whole collection out and take a picture. Who would be curious to see it?

Would love to see a group shot. :headbang:

Like most of us I've found that the NM books I bought long ago are VF at best. This site has trained me to look at my books with a much more critical eye. This site has also exposed me to ultra high grade temptations and frankly my will power is lacking. This site has also increased the price of admission and now I find myself paying $$ for comics far in excess of what I would have paid just a few short years ago. This site is evil.

I recently reread my FFs between 40 and 60 and they took me back to that time when I was hunting them down and reading them as a kid. That's why I collect comics, great memories.

I sometimes wonder if the grade-centric personality of this board has begun to affect how I look at my comics.

I have a Green Lantern # 100 signed by Mike Grell, that most on this board

would pfffttt at. BUT, I vividly remember sitting on my girlfriend/future wife's

back patio on a rainy day, when her dog/my future dog grabbed it and

ran out thru the back yard and I chased her. It has teeth marks on it and

some water spots. But my wife was laughing so hard, the dog wanted to

play keep away, and I was young and healthy enough to enjoy the game

of keep away, the wet clothes, diving for the dog in the wet grass and finally

surrendering to a 10lb cockapoodle. 10 or 12 years later, I told this story

to Mike Grell as he autographed it for me. THOSE are some of the minor

reasons you may cherish a comic book. Sometimes the path travelled to

fulfillment is better than the end of the quest.

You may now return to your regular weekend phil-0-sophy.

greenlantern100grellauto.jpg

Great story, great memory, :banana:

th_Picture001.jpgth_Picture002.jpgth_Picture003.jpg

th_Picture004.jpgth_Picture005.jpgth_Picture006.jpg

th_Picture007.jpgth_Picture008.jpgth_Picture009.jpg

th_Picture010.jpgth_Picture011.jpgth_Picture012.jpg

The above pics represent the Mike Grell portion of my collection. Either he did the cover, interior art or writing. A few holes but this is my main focus. The Warlords contain some non Grell work but I kept them together for obvious reasons. I had an appreciation for the Warlord before my Grell obsession became apparent. The Green Arrow and Green Lanterns hold a particular nostalgia for me as well.

The below pics represent the rest of my collection. All the pics in this post represent the core of my collection. I have other books but I dont conside them as fitting in with my goals.....not yet anyway. The All Star Wester/Weird Western Tales Jonah Hex is almost complete.

th_Picture013.jpgth_Picture014.jpgth_Picture015.jpg

And a recently purchased run of Swamp Thing. Love Alan Moore...love John Constantine.

th_Picture016.jpgth_Picture017.jpgth_Picture018.jpgth_Picture019.jpg

Thanks for looking. Its been rather therapeutic to have done this. I hope noone sees it as too pretentious.

There is something missing. I own no Richie Richs....perhaps I need to rectify that.

With the majority of my collection of X-Men, I have either bought myself, new and off the shelf, or they were given to me as gifts. My hard-earned money, or some bit of sentimentality, but I won't give them up easily and am perfectly happy with them.

One of my sister's ex-boyfriends (R.I.P., Bob Dotolo) gave me a good run, around 15-20 issues in the 110-130 range, of "Uncanny" X-Men and I see no reason to upgrade them, even if they are 6.0-8.0 in range of grade. The copies of The Dark Phoenix saga my mom bought in 1983 for my Christmas present, I feel the same way.

New stuff though? I tried my best to get 9.6 copies out of the stacks at my LCS. When I worked at the LCS was the best - I had hundreds of copies (usually) to pick though to find that "perfect" copy, and I never read my own copies I bought. I have LOTS of 9.6-9.8 (possibly higher) X-Men and mutant books that have never even been opened or read.

-slym

Buy what you can afford. I would love to own the highest graded copies of the books I want but will be content with lower grades due to the price.

If you have the BANK to buy the best, go for it. If not, just having something you want is just as good.

Bottom line-The longer we collect, are collecting habits will change, for sooner or later the same old hunts and genres become commonplace and we tend to shift our perspectives and wants ( i may just be talking about myself here ), for instance, I use to just be a run building zombie.....finish some, start some others etc. Then one day my perspective changed and I wanted #1's, Key's and 1st app only and that is where I'm still currently at in my collecting philosophy. The other really cool thing that came out of it was that being able to help those collectors who do enjoy putting runs together get some of the books they need. That gleam in their eye when I helped them finish the quest was very rewarding for me as well, and the $$ obtained helped me in my quest for say a FF 48 or another WBN 32 or TOD 10 etc.

I still would like to thank Blow Out for hooking me up on those HG raw WBN and TOD that he sold me to finish my raw HG runs of each title.....still have those runs and love them. I only have (full run wise) the entire Marvel BA Horror runs-WBN, TOD, GR, Manny, SupNat Thrillers, Monster of Frankenstein also the full Conan 1-275 plus the GS 1-5 and the entire Marvel Giant Size.

So, I guess I'm a hoarder now of key books, but I will upgrade a Conan or a GS Marvel when I see a nicer copy.......and of course the CGC collection.

So, as long as you collect what you love and you love to collect......keep on keeping on......oh, thanks DiceX for that sweet MSpot 5 ya let go..still got it.